Camera Camera : Which one to choose?

LifezGooD

Adept
Got tired using My year old Kodak C713 ... Looking for change.

:huh: with the current selection !!!!!!!

Budget 20K (+/- 2K )

a) Sony Cybershot DSC H50

b) Nikon Coolpix P80

c) Panasonic Lumix DMC FZ18

d) Canon PowerShot S5 IShttp://www.letsgodigital.org/en/camera/user_review/canon_powershot_s5is/show.html

Which one to go for. Me looking for zoom, some videos for a couple of mins sometimes and nature photography. People these days don't stay still these days :p..

So which one is the best among the lot. Have been reading a lot and got :S. Some light would do some good over here. Would be buying next weekend..

I have S3IS and used my bro's S5IS.its a good cam.

I've also heard good stuff about nikon P80..shoot some test shots and then decide which one works best for you.

gannu said:
Then u should probably get a Nikon P80; U'll throw ur Z18; :bleh:

Where did you read that? Go through the Panasonic Talk forums at dpreview. See how many people have bought it thinking it was better than the FZ18 and then regretted getting it. Some bought it to compare it to the FZ18 and did feel the Panny was better that the Nikon.. The P80 does look good on paper.. but apparently cant hold up in real life :)

Ank1t said:
Where did you read that? Go through the Panasonic Talk forums at dpreview. See how many people have bought it thinking it was better than the FZ18 and then regretted getting it. Some bought it to compare it to the FZ18 and did feel the Panny was better that the Nikon.. The P80 does look good on paper.. but apparently cant hold up in real life :)

Well ankit; Use li'l common sens will ya?? :bleh:

If u go to the Panasonic talk forums, will ppl there say Nikon is the best??? :lol:

~ when u go to the Nikon forums, will they say Panny Z18/Z8 is the best??

Its purely based on user experience;

For the record, Chaos dada recommended it!! Need anything more other than the words of that shutterbug??? :bleh:

EDIT: Eh eh!! I think I made a small mishtake!! Chaos dada said its interesting; :ashamed:

I never recommended it :p. I said it looks interesting :p. I have no opinion on either of those. Personally... I'd never buy a point and shoot with more than 6x zoom and it better be a 28mm wide angle.

gannu said:
Well ankit; Use li'l common sens will ya?? :bleh:

If u go to the Panasonic talk forums, will ppl there say Nikon is the best??? :lol:

~ when u go to the Nikon forums, will they say Panny Z18/Z8 is the best??

Its purely based on user experience;

For the record, Chaos dada recommended it!! Need anything more other than the words of that shutterbug??? :bleh:

Did a little quick read.. Here are couple of threads from the Nikon talk section :

Should I buy a P80? Recommendations? [Page 1]: Nikon Talk Forum: Digital Photography Review

Agonizing over choice P80 and the Panny FZ18 [Page 1]: Nikon Talk Forum: Digital Photography Review

I never said the P80 is a bad camera. But its not that good that you must 'throw your fz18 away' ;) I myself was considering it actually.. Just that the initial premium over the fz18 wasn't worth paying for imo.

I also think Chaos prefers the FZ8 :p

Edit : ther u go!

Also, its a little funny that one day you're a fz18 lover and the next day you want to throw it away :bleh:

lol jus rubbing salt in the wound j/k

Ank1t said:
I never said the P80 is a bad camera. But its not that good that you must 'throw your fz18 away' ;) I myself was considering it actually.. Just that the initial premium over the fz18 wasn't worth paying for imo.

Apologies Ankit!!! :)

I meant throw away in a literal sense not into the basket :ashamed: since it read better on specs than the other 3 of them.

Besides I myself getting a Z8 so I should be a Panny supporter; :ashamed:

gannu said:
I meant throw away in a literal sense not into the basket :ashamed: since it read better on specs than the other 3 of them.

Besides I myself getting a Z8 so I should be a Panny supporter; :ashamed:

Am just messing with you :p Join the club!

on topic ,

deepakkrishnan, you have your choices now, FZ18/8 are in i suppose. But there are rumors of the FZ18 getting the Venus IV processor which could explain the absence of the camera in the US market..

Edit :

looks like its back in stock.. but many times when u proceed to checkout they inform you that the product is not available. that is what happened to my fz18 purchase.. though eventually ended up getting it from vanns

Yep Z18 is in shortage big time; :(

Wanted to get that but then seems even Z8 is more or less the same and has a better wide zoom; :)

gannu said:
Then u should probably get a Nikon P80; U'll throw ur Z18; :bleh:

You ARE funny!!

Have you even handled both those cameras?

Considered the P80 and "threw" that away. :)

For the record, I am a big time Nikon fan and own two Nikon film SLRs. At some point will get a Nikon DSLR too.

But this time I wanted a a lighter more portable camera. Tried and tested all four cameras that have been mentioned in this thread.

The FZ 18 is the best overall package. The RAW shooting ability is a big plus and to a large extent negates the noise issue which the panny has at larger ISOs .

The other cameras have noise issues too but do not have RAW.

As for panasonic forum people being biased, well of course they will be. But look at a host of unbiased reviews on the P80 and you will come to the same conclusion I did and get the Panny.

Well for 20k, you are in DSLR territory ! Any thoughts about getting a DSLR instead of a P&S ?

A Canon 350D with a 18-55mm IS lens will be approx 24k and its image quality will blow away even the Panny !

gannu said:
Wanted to get that but then seems even Z8 is more or less the same and has a better wide zoom; :)

Well the FZ8 has a 35 (or is it 36) mm equivalent at the widest end and the FZ 18 has 28. The image quality is claimed to be slightly better on the FZ8 because of less megapixels on the same sized sensor but I could not make out the difference. Of course the FZ8 is significantly cheaper so thats a plus.

IMHO there is no 'ideal" superzoom out there. I agree that above 6X zoom you have to make compromises

I would have liked: Great zoom range, great optical quality through the entire range, no noise at high iso, LCD that is not fixed, adjustable noise reduction settings, great video capabilities, RAW shooting,lightweight and not too bulky and finally all this in a package that does not break the bank.
Unfortunately there is no camera that matches all this.
For me the FZ18 was the best compromise and I am happy with it.
However every person may have different set of compromises that they are comfortable with.
I do wish that I had liked the Nikon more.
The Panny is the first non-Nikon camera that I have ever bought.

In the end all of these are great cameras. Best of luck with the purchase.
Gannu come and join the Panny brigade :hap2:

Don't know much about DSLR's. I haven't even seen one in my life, so no idea about the ease of use and functionalities of the same.

What is the difference between a DSLR and a point and shoot camera ? And apart from the money being spent what should be the criteria for going for a DSLR.

deepakkrishnan said:
Don't know much about DSLR's. I haven't even seen one in my life, so no idea about the ease of use and functionalities of the same.

What is the difference between a DSLR and a point and shoot camera ? And apart from the money being spent what should be the criteria for going for a DSLR.

Heh in that case you should just stick with a P&S. My opinion :)

Back