Can a Windows 7 purchased in USA be activated in India?

Re: Windows 7

AFAIK.......Please correct me

If u buy a copy from USA and ship it here India and try to activate it will not, but if u buy a machine in USA with activated copy of Genuine Win7 installed it will work here in India.

Or this may work,

During activation,choose phone activation you can dial the USA helpline number.

Wait for other peoples input.

@fuzail - No Issues.. You can activate it & continue using it without any problems..

@dissel - Windows 7 doesn't have region lock like movies.. :)

HalfLife said:
@dissel - Windows 7 doesn't have region lock like movies.. :)

Thanks HalfLife for confirmation,

But I bought Retail Box from microsoftstore.co.in a year ago which clearly written over the box

Activation Restriction

Distribution & required activation must occur in India

So I think my copy/CD-Key is obviously region locked.

pauldmps said:
^^ It indeed has. I can confirm that the Indian version can only be activated in India.

Windows 7 Home Premium, Buy Windows 7 Home Premium Online in India

Read carefully what is written on the box.
But if you carefully read the OP then he would have asked, If he could "Activate a US copy in India".. So I don't think there will be any problem with it..

May be its illegal to buy a MS copy in India & activate it outside India but I don't think buying a copy in US & activating it in India is illegal..

the notification is only a warning rather than a restriction... u can activate any key bought in anywhere and activate it anywhere....... though it will be their s/w rule violation but u will b gnuine and no one will catch you in the name of piracy.......

--- Updated Post - Automerged ---

deep16 said:
the notification is only a warning rather than a restriction... u can activate any key bought in anywhere and activate it anywhere....... though it will be their s/w rule violation but u will b gnuine and no one will catch you in the name of piracy.......

btw no need to have a proxy also... normal internet connection will do

I have bought win 7 in ms store in us and used it here in india. same w.r.t vista. never had any problems.

deep16 said:

While there may or may not be restriction for the activation, the use of such a region limited copy would not be counted as a genuine copy out side that region. It would be treated as any other pirated copy. Also distribution or sale of such copies outside the region is strictly illegal.

Software/Games are sold at significantly lower costs in countries like India as compared to other countries. So such licenses are limited to those regions only. A license meant for India would not be legit in other countries. On the other hand a license bought in US at full price would still be totally legit in India.

Lord Nemesis said:
While there may or may not be restriction for the activation, the use of such a region limited copy would not be counted as a genuine copy out side that region. It would be treated as any other pirated copy. Also distribution or sale of such copies outside the region is strictly illegal.

Software/Games are sold at significantly lower costs in countries like India as compared to other countries. So such licenses are limited to those regions only. A license meant for India would not be legit in other countries. On the other hand a license bought in US at full price would still be totally legit in India.
i clearly mentioned that its against their policy and its a s/w rule violation ... but from a users point of view its totally useless to think because microsoft will never ever make the copy non-genuine.... op can buy and activate it anywhere anytime without thinking anything.... most of the copy i used ever is bought from us using my freinds uncle's job( he works in microsoft)...

certainly they think this as violation but not piracy... so thread creator chill and activate...

win 7 cracks/cracked serial are most of all originated from west or Europe, and it works fine as ive heard from local pirated users :p. Thats just another point to prove the same, though not 100% sure

deep16 said:
i clearly mentioned that its against their policy and its a s/w rule violation ... but from a users point of view its totally useless to think because microsoft will never ever make the copy non-genuine.... op can buy and activate it anywhere anytime without thinking anything.... most of the copy i used ever is bought from us using my freinds uncle's job( he works in microsoft)...

certainly they think this as violation but not piracy... so thread creator chill and activate...

I don't think you got my point. Its fine to use US license in India. Its totally legitimate. But using Indian license in other countries is not allowed. Those sort of region restricted licenses are explicitly for sale and use in the specified region only. It will be considered an illegitimate copy if activated in other country other than the ones specified and allowed. It is as good as pirated copy. Also MS can take legal action against any one who is involved in sale or distribution of such licenses out side those regions.

One of my friend is using a copy bought in US here in india without any issue at all. So i guess you should be able to activate it here.

Lord Nemesis said:
I don't think you got my point. Its fine to use US license in India. Its totally legitimate. But using Indian license in other countries is not allowed. Those sort of region restricted licenses are explicitly for sale and use in the specified region only. It will be considered an illegitimate copy if activated in other country other than the ones specified and allowed. It is as good as pirated copy. Also MS can take legal action against any one who is involved in sale or distribution of such licenses out side those regions.
why even bother buddy ? in a country like india where 90% home users pirate there this kind region dependencies are pure nuts as i think.. microsoft dosnot even bother about this thing...

^^ Did you even read my post fully? I am not talking about the state of piracy in India. I said that MS allows use of American licenses in India but does not allow sale and use of Indian licenses outside India. i.e they don't allow Americans to purchase a license for cheap in India and then use in America. Same goes for game publishers who sell at special prices in India. A typical PC game costs $60 in US while same can cost as low as $8 in India. Whats stopping the Americans from buying games in India for cheap and then selling them off in America?

not much of a diff as i see... a win 7 hp retail disc costs 6600 rs in india whereas in us its 8800 rs ........

and not only microsoft all other s/w vendors prohibit open market s/w licensing... all keys are region bound but definitely not locked...

Went to Microsoft Office at Kalina Mumbai and sorted out my queries. We cant use any USA keys or from any where in the world. We can only use keys valid for SAARC countries except Pakistan. Also retail pack has to be used only upto 4 pc ,with 5 pc and above we have to go for Volume Licensing.

Back