PC Peripherals Can DDR2-533 MHz modules co-exist with DDR2-800 MHz?

Corleone

Adept
Hello,

I have a mobo with 4 memory slots.

Currently, Transcend 2x512 MB DDR2-533 MHz are occupying 2 slots.

Other two slots are free. I intend to add 2 x 1 GB DDR2-800 MHz modules to the remaining slots and fill them up.

I know that I'll loose Dual Channel Mode but, I don't mind that.

Theoritically I know that all modules should run at 533 MHz but, practically would it cause any problems as to stability and other things?

Let me know. Thx/.

dont think there will be any problems, but it doesnt make sense, remove the 533Mhz modules, and use only the 800Mhz one's that would be better.

will work ... same condition in my rig. working fine. BTW i hope you know that you will not be able to use 4 gigs of ram in full unless you have a 64 bit OS. on a 32 bit OS max detection would be around 3.3GB.

tangentray said:
will work ... same condition in my rig. working fine. BTW i hope you know that you will not be able to use 4 gigs of ram in full unless you have a 64 bit OS. on a 32 bit OS max detection would be around 3.3GB.

That's the reason I am adding 2 GBs to the existing 1 GB = Total 3 GB.

I'm keeping the 533 MHz in order to save costs.

Will there be a significant performance drop running @ 533 instead of 800 ?

tangentray said:
For normal day to day activities including gaming, i do not think the difference will be very noticeable.

I only do the following on my PC:

1. Use Business Apps (Office 2007 & Acrobat 8.0)

2. Watch Movies (DVDs/DivX/Xvid/MP4 and sometimes HD)

3. Surf with FF/IE/Opera a lot

4. Download using uTorrent and Azureus

Will there be any difference in performance in Single Channel Mode for the above activities?

Currently am on Dual Channel Mode but, I'll loose that as soon as add TWO new sticks (though not necessarily as per the manual).

I DO NOT play Games and don't plan to as well.

It sure will work out fine at 533MHz. But if that old RAM is decent, it may be possible to loosen the timings and run at a higher clock than 533. Most 533MHz RAM modules run at 4-4-4-12. So just loosen the timings to 5-5-5-15 and you may be able to run all the modules at 667MHz or roundabouts.

I am myself using two different kits rated for 800MHz (4-4-4-12) and 1000MHz (5-5-5-15). I used to run them combined at 888MHz, 4-4-4-12

Also I dont think you will losse dual channel mode. You just need to pair them properly (usually alternate slots). Put the 533MHz sticks in slot 1 and 3 and 800MHz sticks in slot 2 and 4.

Lord Nemesis said:
Also I dont think you will losse dual channel mode. You just need to pair them properly (usually alternate slots). Put the 533MHz sticks in slot 1 and 3 and 800MHz sticks in slot 2 and 4.

That's what the manual says and am betting on that to stay in Dual Channel mode. :D

So what do you guys say? Discard 533 Mhz sticks or keep em? :huh:

Lord Nemesis said:
It sure will work out fine at 533MHz. But if that old RAM is decent, it may be possible to loosen the timings and run at a higher clock than 533. Most 533MHz RAM modules run at 4-4-4-12. So just loosen the timings to 5-5-5-15 and you may be able to run all the modules at 667MHz or roundabouts.

I am myself using two different kits rated for 800MHz (4-4-4-12) and 1000MHz (5-5-5-15). I used to run them combined at 888MHz, 4-4-4-12

+1 :cool2: :cool2:

octave said:
I guess 2GB should be enough. Even Vista runs fine on 2GB. So you should get rid of the 512MB sticks.
Hmm..

You mean there's no difference in 2 GB and 3 GB performance on Vista?

Actually I can use only 896 MB of the 1024 MB I have coz 128 MB is used by the onboard nVidia GPU.

Man am totally confused now :huh: :huh: :huh:

OK Guys! Thanks for your inputs.

I've finally ordered TWO sticks Transcend DDR2-800 MHz 1 GB Memory.

I'll decide on whether to remove the existing ones or not later.

Corleone said:
Actually I can use only 896 MB of the 1024 MB I have coz 128 MB is used by the onboard nVidia GPU.

windows aero runs fine on 64 mb ram for day to day work...enter the bios and set the shared memory size to 64mb..

Corleone said:
Hmm..

You mean there's no difference in 2 GB and 3 GB performance on Vista?

Yes there will be differences..but for kind of work mentioned it will be hardly noticible. Rams are dirt cheap nowdays. Discard the old ram sticks.Get 2GB of transcend ddr2 800 for 1800-1900 bucks odd....that way you will not only get performance boost over 533mhz sticks ..but also stay away from any incompatibility issues that may arise !

BTW...TE is a good place to ell your old ram ! You can get 500-600 bucks for those 2 sticks I think ~!

Thanks for your responses.

As it's a known 32-bit OS don't detect more than 3 GB of RAM I was thinking that if I put in 4 GB RAM and allocate the maximum up to 1 GB (I think the BIOS allows only 256 MB to 512 MB) to the onboard Video IGP so, the balance left will be around 3 GB which the OS can use fully and I can have Dual Channel Mode as well as the speed of 800 MHz.

Is this practically possible or feasible?

sidewinder2008 said:
windows aero runs fine on 64 mb ram for day to day work...enter the bios and set the shared memory size to 64mb..

Yes there will be differences..but for kind of work mentioned it will be hardly noticible. Rams are dirt cheap nowdays. Discard the old ram sticks.Get 2GB of transcend ddr2 800 for 1800-1900 bucks odd....that way you will not only get performance boost over 533mhz sticks ..but also stay away from any incompatibility issues that may arise !

BTW...TE is a good place to ell your old ram ! You can get 500-600 bucks for those 2 sticks I think ~!

Thanks for the tip. I had actually thought of that but the dealer is offering me Rs. 700 as buy back if I want to discard the 512 MB RAM sticks.

Corleone said:

As it's a known 32-bit OS don't detect more than 3 GB of RAM I was thinking that if I put in 4 GB RAM and allocate the maximum up to 1 GB (I think the BIOS allows only 256 MB to 512 MB) to the onboard Video IGP so, the balance left will be around 3 GB which the OS can use fully and I can have Dual Channel Mode as well as the speed of 800 MHz.

Hmmm...

Just checked the BIOS. Maximum memory I can allocate to the onboard GPU is 256 MB :(

Anyway, still will it work the way I have stated?

Corleone said:

No one has comments on this?

I'm thinking to make the RAM - 4 GB ???

Back