Can i partition the hard disk of my new laptop without formatting ? Read on if Yes

utkarsh86

Disciple
Hi,
I bought a new Dell XPS laptop with a hdd of 500 gb as expected 50 gb is deducted for installation of windows leaving me with 450 gb of hdd space now i want to partition it into atleast 2 or 3 parts, is it possible to do so. I really dont want to format and if there is no other option i will leave the hdd as it is. If it is possible to partition without formatting please advise me and give me steps on how to go about it, the answer maybe time consuming but i will really appreciate it.

Re: Can i partition the hard disk of my new laptop without formatting ? Read on if Ye

yea.. just use the windows disk manager utility in the control panel.

Re: Can i partition the hard disk of my new laptop without formatting ? Read on if Ye

you cant partition unless your format. if u want to give it a try you attach the harddisk to another computer and then use partition magic to repartition the hdd without formatting but this can mess up the partition and you will end up reinstalling windows.

if its a new laptop you might as well format.

^^ You most certainly CAN partition... as i said , use the partition manager from within windows or download EASUS Partition manager to do that.

Right click on computer=> manage=>storage=>disk management

The Windows disk management tool will give you an option to shrink the C drive size. However, depending on the location of immovable files on the hard disk, the amount of size that the C drive can be shrunken to will vary, and will usually be larger than what you expect. The best option is to download and install Easeus Partition Master home edition. This is a freeware, and gives you complete control over the partition tables. It usually makes changes to C drive by executing the partitioning process at boot up after restart.

best option if you do not want to take risks is to install acronis true image. then take a full disk image backup to another external hdd 500gb or better, and do whatever you want to do on the original hdd. if anything goes wrong (unlikely to) you can always use acronis to recover from the backed up disk image.

With EASUS Partition manager I have done it a numbers of Laptops that came with only C drive and a hidden Recovery partition, without any problem so far...

Thank you all i really appreciate the help any more suggestions ?

EASUS is the best option.. as its a new laptop , you don't need to worry about backing up etc...

EASEUS Partition Manager as mentioned is the best one ... It might take some time but its totally full proof and no loss of data ...tried almost on 15laptops :D

^ Amen to that. I used the same to partition my Dell Studio's HDD.

You're basically shrinking the unused space into usable volumes.

P.S: Make sure you leave the Primary volume (installation) and Dell recovery volume aside, the space that is.

If you don't want to boot into Windows & split a larger partition into smaller ones then you can download this... Its Free & bootable image... :)

Free Download Magic Partition Manager Software - Partition Wizard Online

I resized my Win7 partition yesterday using it & its exactly like Partition Magic (Which is no longer supported in Win7)..:(

Its the same utility which is on Hiren Boot CD...:cool2:

Thanks i used Easues partition manager easy to use and worked like a charm thanks to everyone here

I have an old windows xp bases desktop PC with 40 GB hard disk. It has been partitioned into three. I would like to increase the size of C drive (windows) without formatting.

Can the same be done using Easues partition manager?

^^ It can be done. Free up space in the next partition (D drive) and then use the software to increase the space of C.

If you are using Windows 7, you don't need a third party software to partition.

Just go to Disk Management, And choose to shrink your C Drive. Then you can use the unallocated disk space for creating other partitions.

Hp Pavilion dm1 4003 au, windows 7 home basic 64 bit... repartitioning problem

I tried shrinking c: to 50 gb

after that the disc reads:

system (199 mb)

unallocated space (228 gb)

c: 50 gb

hp recovery .. 15 gb

hp tools.. 4 gb

i am having 320 GB HDD (5200 RPM), 2gb ram

1. any attempt at creating a partition out of the unallocated space ----------> it says it will create a dynamic disc, after proceeding -------> dynamic discs are not supported by this OS

2. i can not EXTEND c: to it's original state (so that at least i would have been able to use that space!) the extend option is in GRAY ( dead option) after right clicking on c:

3. i tried PARTITION WIZARD for creating partitions it says --------> no free MBR slots are available to create a new partition.

i need to make at least 2 ( if possible 3) partitions out of the unallocated space (228 gb).. somebody please help me out!

Back