Graphic Cards Can I use my 8600 GT without damage

speedy

Disciple
I have a XFX 8600 GT. First about 5 caps opened up, when I was using it on my Intel 915GAV mobo with Zebronics 400 watts Platinum series PSU ,so I got them replaced and used it with the same mobo and PSU. Then two more caps burst not one of the 5 electrolytic caps that I got replaced but new solid state caps .
I got a new PC now. But do not intend to buy graphics card for 3-4 months. I have a MSI H67 mobo and Corsair GS600 PSU.

Now the question is if I get the caps replaced and use the card in my new PC can it, in any way damage my mobo or PSU?

No it wont damage you mobo or processor... You need to understand first basic function of capacitors "They oppose the sudden change in voltage". So its more like a protection to the circuitry after that capacitor on GFX card, If resistance is in series with cap then its acts like a filter.

So you can use it on your new system after getting the caps replaced. Be sure of replacing caps with the same specs. It wont damage your Mobo or Psu.

Make sure to get the soldering done by a trained person. A short here or there in an electronic/electrical circuit can be fatal for your other components.

I installed the XFX8600- GT but it is not working. The system is booting but there is no display.

The card is working fine in my old system(P4+915GAV intel mobo) .

Couldn't figure out whats wrong?

Is the onboard vga output working (remove the GFX card)?? If not, then take out the ram and blow the dust away from the ram slots on mobo and reseat it again. If onboard graphics is working, then there's a problem in your card.. Still I am not sure I as dont have complete info from your side.

Here is the configuration

MSI H67MA E35

i5 2400

Corsair Vengeance 4 GB 1600

Corsair GS 600

LG E2381 VR

Its a new system, 2 weeks old, so no problem of dust.

The same card is working on my old system (P4+915mobo+400watts PSU)

The difference is the old motherboard has an extra 4 pin connector for the PCI peripherals, which the new one doesn't. And the my 8600gt doesn't need any external power connector.

My on-board graphics is working fine,on DVI port at-least.

chiragsthakur said:
I didnt get it.... Can you clarify please?
My old motherboard had a24 pin motherboard power connector.

But it also supported 20pin power connector.

In that case an extra 4 pin power cable had to be connected to a slot for PCI peripherals to work.

No man

I know about the CPU 4 pin power connector socket. I gave connected it.

What I was trying to say was that my old motherboard had an option of connecting a 20 or 24 pin main power. If 20 pin connector was used I had to connect a normal molex connector to the motherboard for it to boot.

If you saw a 20 pin old motherboard you would be getting it.

The new ones with 24pin provide that power also in the main power itself.

I was telling that that was the only thing that changed from that motherboard to my new motherboard which is related to PCI devices' power.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

I think you mean this

591484e7a13297a07e.jpg

Now If you mean this then it has nothing to do with the PCIE power.. Every mobo gives power through its PCIE slots to the add on cards similar to what the old mobos gave...

--- Updated Post - Automerged ---

OK sorry... I had posted my view before your editing.. :) First off all hold the card tightly in PCIE slot and power on.. check if display comes or tell me which monitor are you using?? The thing I suspect here is,your monitors native resolution... Try and make auto adjustment on that monitor as soon as system is switched on... or start your system on onboard VGA/DVI, set the reso to lowest.. 800x600, set the frequency to 60hz, remove any nvidia drivers if installed.... Restart.. I am 99% sure it will work, rather it has to work and thats my order to your system ... :)

Back