Storage Solutions Can I use SATA-II HDD on my MoBo's IDE port

sukhjinder

Disciple
Hi guys. I'm to buy a HDD (160GB+) for my system which has only IDE ports. I know I can use IDE to SATA Adapters/Convertors to connect SATA HDDs to my PC.
My queries
+ Can I use SATA-II HDDs with such Adaptors/Convertors as many SATA II HDDs are faster (than SATA I and IDE HDDs) and offer 16MB (or more) Disk Cache
+ Can I install WinXP SP2 on such SATA HDDs? I mean since the HDD will be connected to my PC via the Adaptor, will it cause any problems for my PC to recognise the HDD and load the OS from them?
+ Which HDD should I go for. I'd prefer something which is fast, quite and stores data reliably. Price <= Rs.2800
+ Place/Dealer from where I could get them. I'm from New Delhi

Thanks...

Yes you can install any SATA-II HDDs with such Adaptors/Convectors.I am also using adapters on old motherboards for 250Gb SATA-II HDD.

Get Seagate 500GB 7200.12 at 3k this would be best bet in range.

Thanks guys you've really really helped me.

I do not need lots of space, so 160-250 GBs should be enough for me. Any suggestions for that?

Last question. Should I go for IDE to SATA adaptor or PCI to SATA Adaptor? I doubt if the PCI one may require some driver to install which may cause problems if I install my OS on the SATA HDD connected to it.

Once again, thanks a lot...

dude,

i think u will have to install some drivers during winxp setup if u use PCI > SATA , but m not sure whether it will work or not..

find out whether u will get any speed diff. if u use a IDE > SATA or PCI > SATA. see which one is faster and hassle free and then go along with it....

hope this helps.

Thanks guys. Bought Seagate 7200.12 500 GB HDD SATA II :) and using it with an IDE to SATA adapter, which connects directly to my motherboard's IDE port. After initial familiarization everything is working nice.

Thanks guys and thanks Techenclave...:hap2:

sukhjinder said:
Thanks guys. Bought Seagate 7200.12 500 GB HDD SATA II :) and using it with an IDE to SATA adapter, which connects directly to my motherboard's IDE port. After initial familiarization everything is working nice.

Thanks guys and thanks Techenclave...:hap2:

You are welcome..Congratulation for purchase:)

HDD for Rs. 2840 and IDE to SATA Adaptor for Rs. 200. It connects directly to the IDE port. It is a Combo i.e it can be used as IDE to SATA Adaptor or SATA to IDE.

Make sure you buy a power supply cable as well for your SATA device, HDD in my case, as they require special type of power connectors. On one side it connects to the regular power cable and on the other have a connector to SATA devices.

All The Best...

Back