• Sony DSC-HX200V

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Any Other?

Votes: 3 100.0%

• Total voters

Radeon

Adept
Dear friends,

I need suggestions whether to purchase Cannon EOS 1100D Kit (EF S18-55 IS II) or Sony DSC-HX 200 V. Kindly suggest as what to purchase. I want extremely good picture quality, especially night photographs. Thank you in advance for your advice. Any other suggestion is welcome.

You might try the NEX series if you want good IQ and night performance. You haven't mentioned your budget though.

I am not much into photography, I had been using Nikon Coolpix and had a really bad experience with it. I am looking for Semi-Professional camera, I want excellent image quality especially pictures that are taken in the evening/nights. I had Nikon and had lot of distortion in the image, people at the service center said that its manufacturing is like this. Hence, this time I want a camera that would exceed my expectations in regards to picture quality. I have heard about those two cameras mentioned above. Hence, if you guys have any better opinion, it will be highly regarded.

Thank you.

EDIT: Budget around 25K

The EOS series are DSLRs which require good knowledge about photography. The NEX series is a good start point for beginners of Photography. They have the same large Image sensors as DSLRs but in more compact body with less amount of settings. You can start with the auto mode and then gradually learn the other settings. Moreover, you can upgrade lenses in the same camera just like DSLRs. The NEX series come with the defailt 18-55mm lens as well.

The EOS series are DSLRs which require good knowledge about photography. The NEX series is a good start point for beginners of Photography. They have the same large Image sensors as DSLRs but in more compact body with less amount of settings. You can start with the auto mode and then gradually learn the other settings. Moreover, you can upgrade lenses in the same camera just like DSLRs. The NEX series come with the defailt 18-55mm lens as well.

The NEX series with the kit lens doesn't look like its pocketable by any means so I think its a better choice to go for a DSLR or a premium digicam since you are going to need a bag to carry either one around; Compact Camera Meter

otoh, the better grip and dimensions of a dslr will come in handy for low light situations and you get the added advantage of a viewfinder

Check the video below .A nex style camera is certainly a good option but i hear Sony will launch newer models like the NEX5R and NEX 6 ,these two cameras are certainly more then a match to most DSLR soon it also has phase detect AF and NEX 6 has bigger brighter EVF compared to all APS-C DSLR cameras.

The NEX series with the kit lens doesn't look like its pocketable by any means so I think its a better choice to go for a DSLR or a premium digicam since you are going to need a bag to carry either one around; Compact Camera Meter

otoh, the better grip and dimensions of a dslr will come in handy for low light situations and you get the added advantage of a viewfinder

The NEX series is not pocketable but they are significantly lighter and smaller than the DSLRs so that you can carry them in your usual backpack. Besides, the main reason I advised OP for the NEX series (or any ILC / microthird but only NEX-3 & NEX-5 are within OP's budget) is the user friendliness for the beginners and their high image quality without tinkering the settings much. These are leagues ahead of the premium digicams.

If anyone wants more portability, they can use prime lenses e.g. 50mm or 24mm.

Check the video below .A nex style camera is certainly a good option but i hear Sony will launch newer models like the NEX5R and NEX 6 ,these two cameras are certainly more then a match to most DSLR soon it also has phase detect AF and NEX 6 has bigger brighter EVF compared to all APS-C DSLR cameras.

Yes, the NEX5R , NEX6, NEX7 are all released but not in India. Heck, SONY didn't even released the 2nd gen NEX series ( NEX-C3, NEX-5N) in India. Although the new NEX 5, 6 are way out of OP's budget. (NEX5R - $650, NEX6 - $1000, all body only)

Yes, the NEX5R , NEX6, NEX7 are all released but not in India. Heck, SONY didn't even released the 2nd gen NEX series ( NEX-C3, NEX-5N) in India. Although the new NEX 5, 6 are way out of OP's budget. (NEX5R - $650, NEX6 - $1000, all body only)

Sony india on facebook has said that NEX5r and NEX6 will be launched soon but its priced at MRP 39k for NEX5R ,its pricey but its has a better sensor then the one in canon EOS 550d and has quieter lenses and faster AF in video mode ,touch screen and whole lot of other features.
With the optional Sony and third party adapters one can pretty much mount any lenses whether its a nikon,canon,sony,pentax,contax etc ,one also gets full AF and aperture control on canon lenses with new electronic third party lens adapter.

@adder Actually, if 39k is including the 18-55 mm kit then its good pricing considering it costs $750 in US. The graphics cards sell much more quantities than this kind of cameras and still the bastards loot us in the name of high dollar rate !

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi guys, just an update, I went ahead and purchased Sony Alpha A37. And I think I made an excellent decision, though I would require some time to understand DSLR basics. Image quality is stunning.

SLT-A37 : SLT-A37 : SLT & DSLR Camera (A-mount) : Sony India

TOTAL DAMAGE: 34k INCLUDING 16GB ULTRA DRIVE

Attachments

• 297633.jpg
    297633.jpg
    13.2 KB · Views: 138
  • 297648.jpg
    297648.jpg
    15.5 KB · Views: 136
Hi guys, just an update, I went ahead and purchased Sony Alpha A37. And I think I made an excellent decision, though I would require some time to understand DSLR basics. Image quality is stunning.

SLT-A37 : SLT-A37 : SLT & DSLR Camera (A-mount) : Sony India

TOTAL DAMAGE: 34k INCLUDING 16GB ULTRA DRIVE

Not a bad choice at all. Even Nikon Dslr's use Sony sensors however the choice of lens/accessories will be limited compared to Nikon.
For a 30k budget i still believe Nikon D5100 is the best option followed by Newly launched Nikon D3200.

Back