iOS Cannot block spam messages on iPhone

Mike Messiah

Disciple
Only numbers can be blocked, these registered marketing numbers cannot be blocked using the built-in function. Actually that is also the case, for example, on the Pixel dialler.

Remember Truecaller is a data harvesting menace on Android. To block calls/messages using it, you have to make it the default which allows it to constantly monitor everything.

Of course without making something default hows it gonna function?
At least it takes care of 90% spam stuff unlike helpless iphoners who spend lacs yet cannot use TC on their phones..pity!
Been using TC on my iPhone and have the virtual button, tap on back as well as Siri set to identify any unknown number. It used Shortcut to basically query online besides the offline database.

Depends on how much you care about your phone and message log being tracked.

Guys, if you do not know how to help, stop spamming.

@mods please check. Unnecessary discussion happening, derailing the topic.

@op, you cannot fully block these contacts without number. You can instead apply filtering like this and you will not get any notifications.

1696035631161.png

Guys, if you do not know how to help, stop spamming.

@mods please check. Unnecessary discussion happening, derailing the topic.

@op, you cannot fully block these contacts without number. You can instead apply filtering like this and you will not get any notifications.

View attachment 179093
i have the filterring enabled, but it still doesnt stop the problem. Now these spam messages dont make a sound, but on lock screen notification it just clogs up everything, i have to swipe all of the one by one. Btw do you use that tru caller sms filtering?

On topic, I feel that the feature of block calls and messages from any number including marketing ones using at least an offline database should be mandated for all phones. One should not have to use a third party app.
Isn't that something TRAI has been working on..

i have the filterring enabled, but it still doesnt stop the problem. Now these spam messages dont make a sound, but on lock screen notification it just clogs up everything, i have to swipe all of the one by one. Btw do you use that tru caller sms filtering?
There is a painful way of not getting in notification center. You have to do this for each. I am not using true caller for sms filtering. Don't want them to read every sms of mine. Would rather live with cleaning up manually.

1696079145433.png

There is this filter option, under settings -> messages -> Unknown & Spam -> under sms filtering upon selecting truecaller there you get this message

1696095740209.jpeg

Up to you if you want this. I think the default SMS filter which is locally AI driven is enabled by default which filters all the messages and doesn't send any data to apple servers. Setting truecaller there might be a moot point.

Second, under settings -> messages -> notifications -> customized notifications -> you can uncheck Unknown Senders here. I am not sure what this settings do, do try and spread the word.

1696095902179.jpeg

Now this could work for you.

Last edited:
Can android people block these messages from coming?
Android is like a car without doors. It can let anybody in. As a result, there is lot of customization. This also brings the ugly aspect of every other app/company pulling your data for their gain. :D
The default application does block contacts without numbers but the app itself looks hideous and does not filter your messages like how iOS Messages does. For this, you have to rely on apps like MS SMS Organizer. There are other apps as well but I would not trust any of those apps (eg: Truecaller, Textra SMS etc).

Last edited:
Back