Cannot Purchase Apps from Nokia Ovi Store

unni

Adept
For the last 3 months, I am not able to purchase a single app from Nokia's Ovi store. Thinking that it was a problem with my phones (5800 & C7), I have hard resetted them atleast twice. I contacted Nokia Care, but no satisfactory reply. Once, the representative told me that currently, unless you are a Reliance customer, you cannot purchase!!! He went on suggesting using an international credit card if I want to buy apps. Just now, I saw an ad that said something like-"Get premium apps from Ovi Store, exclusive for Reliance customers".

My question is whether Nokia can do this? When I bought the phones, nobody told me that you need to be using Reliance SIM to make purchases from Ovi Store. If that was the case, I would have never bought the phones in the first place. Can I file a complaint against Nokia asking for a refund? :) Of course, that's a bit far fetched, but I am really pissed off since their customer care never replied. I wonder whether they really expect me to switch to Reliance because of this! I would rather throw away the phones or put them in showcase rather than doing that. (Don't start asking me to donate now). :)

Nokia, this is definitely not a time to piss of any of your existing customers. :mad:

Why such a lengthy procedure just get a reliance connection for The Apps. It would cost almost nothing and use it whenever you think of buying an app.
For symbian i guess there are many free apps already available right.

ggt said:
Why such a lengthy procedure just get a reliance connection for The Apps. It would cost almost nothing and use it whenever you think of buying an app.

For symbian i guess there are many free apps already available right.

I really badly wanted to buy Fruit Ninja, but I couldn't. All the HD games are purchase only. It's not just apps.

I think you are missing the point ;). Reliance didn't offer me any subsidy on buying this phone. I bought this from a Nokia showroom that has nothing to do with any of the carriers. I simply do not want to get a SIM that will get deactivated in the next 3 months just because I want to buy some apps/games. When I bought the phones, nowhere was this mentioned. And to top it all, Nokia didn't even bother to inform me (customer) when they did this partnership with Reliance. Whenever I go to "purchase option" of any app, the only message I get from their Ovi Store client is something like this -"Your language is not supported" leaving me totally clueless. Initially, I used to think that this is another of the numerous bugs in Nokia software, but recently came to know it isn't.

(I may sound like I am angry at you, but I am angry at Nokia :)).

Gaurish said:
Currently only way to purchase an app on Ovi store is Reliance. Kinda stupid but that's how it is
It's not kinda stupid, it's suicide. They already shot their foot and now they are looking for other places to shoot themselves. I wish all developers will come to know about this and pressure Nokia.

I doubt if any corporate wants to really pursue honest customers for apps and the like. iTunes took ages to accommodate Indian buyers, MS Marketplace doesn't even have a presence here, even though they've got lotsa W7 phones in the market) and now this. And they complain India is a hotbed of piracy, lol.

Btw, is this Reliance thing applicable to all Nokia phones? My friend just got a Nokia E7 last week and he's going to be pissed about it.He's already half made up his mind to ditch it and go for the HTC Mozart at my place, this will really tip the balance. Seriously though, Android is the only mobile platform to be hassle free when it comes to buying apps etc. Too bad the UI is not as smooth as W7...

The number wont be deactivated (reliance). I too had a spare reliance number when they were distributing free talktime. Just made the validity for lifetime and then did not use it for nearly for a year till i started to use it for internet. Not once did my number get deactivated nor did i do any talktime recharge during the hibernation period.
Just think you get this as a gateway for your purchases. :)

Reliance distributes free SIM cards with a months validity from time to time (atleast here in Mumbai). Get one of those and get the work done.

Ovi store purchases will be made available for other service providers (I sure hope so) but till then, you'll have to devise methods of your own... :p

Naga said:
Btw, is this Reliance thing applicable to all Nokia phones?

I think so. See here

Explore Angry Birds and more apps only with Reliance. Enhance your app experience.

Looks like this Reliance exclusivity is only till March 2011 according to this link.

The tie-up is known to be exclusive only till the end of March 2011. Beyond that, other service providers might also jump in and have the integrated billing option from the coming financial year.

I wonder how many new customers Reliance will get because of this!

Anyway, this is the reply I got from Nokia for my complaint:

Thank you for contacting Nokia Careline.

We understand that you are unable to purchase an application from OVI Store.

We value the importance of your concern and we are here to assist you.

We would like to inform you that to date, consumers in India had to purchase paid apps from the OVI Store using international credit cards. Nokia is working towards enabling local billing, including via credit card and operator billing. We will announce more when these initiatives go live and in the meantime we invite you to enjoy the free content that continues to be available from the OVI Store.

Back