Camera Canon 1100D vs Canon 600D

AMG

Skilled
Complete noob in photography.
Getting a DSLR just because I want a manual viewfinder(non-compromise-able requirement)

Also not really a Nikon guy.
Plus Canon's have dioptre correction, and I wear spectacles.

Does it make sense to spend 10K more on the 600?
Should I get a better lens instead?

Last edited:
The articulating LCD is useful in many situations where you can't use the viewfinder (in fact I don't understand why it is not a standard feature in a dslr). Plus, I guess the 600d has enough higher specs/additional features to make it worth the extra 10k.

if this is gonna be your first Dslr, get the 1100D with kit lens, and if ur a casual photographer, it will be more than enough for you.

If you decide you need to step up, sell this off at half rate in 2 years and get a semi pro body with a better lens.

Sony DSLRs :facepalm:[DOUBLEPOST=1382988202][/DOUBLEPOST]Okey.

Let me rephrase my question.

1100D + 18-55 + 55-250
or
600D + 18-55

Also got offered a 550D at 26K with 18-55
BUT, it was used as display piece in Croma.
suggestions???

Last edited:
see if you can get a 18-135, first or second hand.

you will need something in the 70 mm range while covering family events etc etc, and changing lenses in the middle of shoot is PITA......

if 18-135 is too costly for you now, get 550D or 600D with the kit 18-55 and decide on ur second lens later.

i went from 18-55 to 15-85 for my 550D, 2 years after buying the cam, and loving it. 15-85 is more expensive than 18-135, but worth it.

Will suggest the 1100D with 18-55 and 55-250. I kept the earlier entry-level 1000D for 2.5 years before 'upgrading' to 500D about 2 years back.
The 'features' that you gain on upgrading are IMO barely noticeable for amateurs like me (and possibly you).

There's the megapixel thing. Larger megapixels are an irritant - less space on disk, more time to download, process, and biggest irony of it all - you have to down-size it before posting it online.
600D gives you the tilt LCD which is prolly okay if you love selfies or overhead shots, but that's just about it. And if you are using the LCD on a DSLR for normal shots, then DSLRs are not for you, quite frankly.
Don't see a lot of people using DSLRs to shoot videos. Even if they did, don't know if higher resolution videos are really an advantage.
1100D is lighter and smaller than the 600D. And for folks moving up from digicams that fit into shirt pockets easily, the size of DSLR can put them off. So a smaller DSLR is an advantage.

But what's important is the lens. That's what 4+ years of amateur photography has taught me. You will miss the 55-250mm from day one I can assure you. So suggest you get two lenses at least for now and the 1100D. You won't outgrow the 1100D camera body so fast. But you'll outgrow the single 18-55 mm lens pretty quick.

A tripod, a nice camera bag (the included one is awful), a spare battery, UV and polarizing filters, some high-speed memory cards (especially if you plan on shooting RAW) and you're done.

Hope this helps.

Last edited:
Will suggest the 1100D with 18-55 and 55-250. I kept the earlier entry-level 1000D for 2.5 years before 'upgrading' to 500D about 2 years back.
The 'features' that you gain on upgrading are IMO barely noticeable for amateurs like me (and possibly you).

There's the megapixel thing. Larger megapixels are an irritant - less space on disk, more time to download, process, and biggest irony of it all - you have to down-size it before posting it online.
600D probably gives you the tilt LCD which is okay if you love selfies or overhead shots, but that's just about it. And if you are using the LCD on a DSLR for normal shots, then DSLRs are not for you, quite frankly.
Don't see a lot of people using DSLRs to shoot videos. Even if they did, don't know if higher resolution videos are really an advantage.

But what's important is the lens. That's what 4+ years of amateur photography has taught me. You will miss the 55-250mm from day one I can assure you. So suggest you get two lenses at least for now and the 1100D. You don't outgrow the camera body so fast. But you outgrow the lenses pretty quick.

A tripod, a nice camera bag (the included one is awful), a spare battery, UV and polarizing filters, some high-speed memory cards (especially if you plan on shooting RAW) and you're done.

Hope this helps.

Now thats what I'm talking about.
Serious hardcore advice.

Ideal reply should be here's what you should do, and why.(like what you did)
Unfortunately all we get here are one-liners, go out buy this. Full Stop. End of Post. No need for reasons.

So why do you want a DSLR? If you want manual controls then it is not the sole reason to get a dslr. If it's interchangeable lenses, then yeah, a good enough reason.
What kind of stuff do you intend on shooting. Do you just want to 'look PRO' while taking pictures or do yu want to make a career out of photography or are you a hobbyist/enthusiast.

And what is your TRUE BUDGET. i.e You can say you want a camera + kit lens in 30K. Have you factored in other accessories?

Because I dont like Nikon.

And yes, I'm a whimsical idiot. Now what?

I was actually asking because I wanted to recommend the D5100/D5200 series in that budget.

Since you already have made a brand preference, It does not make much sense from me but I would try.

Consider 50mm Prime also. Its a very good lens and a friend of mine has it really made good shots out it. 55-250 is going dirt cheap right now as Canon have announced a replacement.

So why do you want a DSLR? If you want manual controls then it is not the sole reason to get a dslr. If it's interchangeable lenses, then yeah, a good enough reason.
What kind of stuff do you intend on shooting. Do you just want to 'look PRO' while taking pictures or do yu want to make a career out of photography or are you a hobbyist/enthusiast.

And what is your TRUE BUDGET. i.e You can say you want a camera + kit lens in 30K. Have you factored in other accessories?

And this is a proper way to ask questions in the original post, when expecting to get lots of proper "not one line" responses, atleast when the question is related to photography.

------------------------

and i'm quoting a few good photographers from another forum here: (since im not sure if i can post link to other forums)

IMO 35mm Lens is the best in terms of usages, low light performances, weight, presentable output and gifted clarity.
A DSLR with 35mm mounted will never let you down and seems best default lens. I am not a good advocate of Kit lens. Justifying kit lens is one thing but having 35mm all round is better option.

I quite agree with you there. Not experienced with kit lenses at all, but some of them are really great starter glass and can take good to excellent photos, provided one can exploit their strengths and/or work around the weaknesses.

Till some months back my most frequently used lens was the 50mm 1.4, followed closely by the 24-70 f/2.8. They were/are permanently mounted on my cameras.

Now the 35mm is used in lieu of the 50mm. It is neither too wide nor too restricted in its FOV. If I have to take only one body+lens with me, this lens (or the 24-70) will be my top pick.

The more high quality stuff you accumulate, the more you begin to see how important the skill of the photographer is. We all love to have and use high quality stuff. But sooner or later we see that our shortfall in imagemaking cannot be saved by better technical specifications.

In the days before anyone took zooms seriously, many felt that a good spread of lenses would start with the normal, say a 50. Then it would reach out to half or twice that, resulting in having a 24, 50, and 105. Then a 200 after that. Consequently, I believe that half normal to twice normal is a great range of focal lengths to have in a first zoom. Evidently, some manufacturers must agree, as so many kit lenses do this. And in good light with good shooting skill, they can deliver the goods. I would not discount the ability of the kit lens to get a serious student going in the hobby.

As Vikram illustrated above, sloppy skills deliver sloppy results with even the best gear. Unfortunately, even the most costly gear does not come packaged with talent. No camera, lens, paint, or palate, ever had even one inspired artistic thought. That's the photographer's real challenge. And it's enough to keep one amused for a lifetime.

all credits goes to henry, hyperdrive and pankaj at jjmpf for those quotes.

as you can see, a kit lens alone would be enough to keep experimenting for quite sometime, and i.m not going to the debate of missing the range of 55-250, unless i know what you shoot or plan to shoot.

If you care to update the thread with proper questions asked by dafreaking, i'm sure you'd get a lot more responses than one liners. ;)

Last edited:
What kind of stuff do you intend on shooting. iDunno. Well, maybe some landscapes, some bird and wildlife shooting. No portraits or family shots, though.

Do you just want to 'look PRO' while taking pictures or do yu want to make a career out of photography or are you a hobbyist/enthusiast. I'll be honest here. I've outgrown my Ixus, and decided I wanted to have more manual controls. And while I was at it, I decided to go FULL RETARD!

And what is your TRUE BUDGET. i.e You can say you want a camera + kit lens in 30K. Have you factored in other accessories? I think its around 35K. So I can either get a 600D + 18-55
Or a 1100D + 18-55 + 55-250 + something worth 7k.

You seem like you want a jack of all trades set up. No harm, just that what you'll get at the given budget might be quite meh. I'm pretty sure you can get the 600D for less than 30K. BTW, the KIT lens is crap at auto-focus. I will need to check in super bright conditions with a fast shutter (bird and wildlife would usually be shot like this) but it's definitely below average for speed required. The FOV with the KIT lens should be fine for landscapes though.

I also considered the 1100D, but my main use is video and the 600D is much much better than the 1100D at that.

If manual control is what you are after there are great mirror-less cameras that provide that. Unfortunately lens options for them tend to be expensive.

So are you suggesting that i get a 18-55 with whatever camera + a sigma/tamaron 70-300 instead of the 55-250[DOUBLEPOST=1383049564][/DOUBLEPOST]coz i've reading quite a lot about the canon 70-300 and everybody says it sucks a lot, primarily due to no IS

Last edited:
Even the cheap Tamron doesn't have IS. The model with IS is about 26K. If you want to spend that money (I know you don't) then you its probably a better choice to buy the Tamron 18-270 VC.

What kind of stuff do you intend on shooting. iDunno. Well, maybe some landscapes, some bird and wildlife shooting. No portraits or family shots, though.

Do you just want to 'look PRO' while taking pictures or do yu want to make a career out of photography or are you a hobbyist/enthusiast. I'll be honest here. I've outgrown my Ixus, and decided I wanted to have more manual controls. And while I was at it, I decided to go FULL RETARD!

And what is your TRUE BUDGET. i.e You can say you want a camera + kit lens in 30K. Have you factored in other accessories? I think its around 35K. So I can either get a 600D + 18-55
Or a 1100D + 18-55 + 55-250 + something worth 7k.

A bridge camera would suit your requirements in that budget far better than a dslr+zoom+tele lens combo while at the same time providing the practically same level of manual control. Landscapes and wildlife are at the opposite ends of the zoom spectrum meaning you will have to swap the lenses a lot which would mean lots of missed shots not to mention changes of getting dust on the lens, having to lug around a bigger bag etc.
Go for something like;
http://www.flipkart.com/fujifilm-fi...0exr&ref=41b26417-3789-4be4-8f97-26a60559587d
or
http://www.flipkart.com/panasonic-l...z200&ref=7adece52-e39b-4081-88b5-b895adb0e9ce
or
http://www.flipkart.com/canon-power...CAMDECSTXGFY3R2F&icmpid=reco_pp_same_camera_1

Back