Canon digicam "low" prices !!!!!!!!!

With reference to your mail, Please be informed that, the warranty of 1 year, was given to you by our vendor. Please note that the as the same is a vendor warranty, we could not provide you for 2 years. Incase of any defect in the product, Please note that you can contact the nearest dealer for assistance. The same will be rectified at free of cost, if the warranty period does not expired. If the defect was unable to get rectified, then you will get the replacement at free of cost, from our concern merchant.

Can we trust that?? if its dealer warranty will they be able to replace the product?

nukeu666 said:
keep it in mind that any major repairs will set you back by 5-7k atleast and it isnt too hard damaging a cam (heck, my sis dropped her coolpix S7 from the 3rd floor window last week!)
so atleast i wouldnt be getting anything without fullterm warranty even if price goes up considerably

I don't think, even a 2yr local warranty can fix up a digicam dropped from 3rd floor!

Is it worth spending extra 5-7k for digicam like s3is, to get the 2yr canon warranty(only manufacturing defects covered, no cover for breakage etc)?

rPOk said:
damn an s3is here sells for 17k! (market price is ~27k)..i'm interested :)

It might be worth waiting for one month. I heard somewhere that s4is or s5is is just around the corner and we can expect to see it in april:hap2:

shashank_re said:
So finally what do you say guys,is sify reliable iam planning to buy A 710 IS.Can i place the order?
I helped my friend who bought from Sify last month. Order placed online on March 23, Friday. Package reached his home in Mumbai on March 26th Monday. Everything fine. Only thing is that the warranty is from a dealer in Chennai. Hopefully he shall not need it.

shashank_re said:
So finally what do you say guys,is sify reliable iam planning to buy A 710 IS.Can i place the order?

Ordered one A710IS last week and recieved it in 4 days. Nice service. Completley satisfied:D

^^But if something goes wrong may be after a 6months or so,whom should we contact?Will Canon provide warranty or Should we go to chennai to repair the product:S :S ?

Yup, prices are enticing. But warranty is a serious issue specially after many Canon owners are facing CCD problems and this problem has cropped up in a lot of their cams, both old and new because of using the 3rd party vendor made CCD. (Sony).
Mostly crop up after a year or so of use.
I faced the same but Canon replaced the ccd assembly totally free of charge. But for that you need the Canon India warranty card. If sify does not provide it, better stay out and buy even from the grey market. Atleast you can get the man by the collar.
A service does not mean getting the product at your doorstep within 4 days. It means getting up from sleep one morning only to find that your sweet little LCD/CCD is not working, and you go to the service center for repairs, and what the service people do to your product and what the response you get from them.
And do remember Canon acknowledges only Canon India warranty card for any repairs.
I received excellent service from Canon, a lot of times, and I won't lie that. Hope you all receive the same.
Nice shooting....

Ratna333 said:
Yup, prices are enticing. But warranty is a serious issue specially after many Canon owners are facing CCD problems and this problem has cropped up in a lot of their cams, both old and new because of using the 3rd party vendor made CCD. (Sony).
Mostly crop up after a year or so of use.
I faced the same but Canon replaced the ccd assembly totally free of charge. But for that you need the Canon India warranty card. If sify does not provide it, better stay out and buy even from the grey market. Atleast you can get the man by the collar.
A service does not mean getting the product at your doorstep within 4 days. It means getting up from sleep one morning only to find that your sweet little LCD/CCD is not working, and you go to the service center for repairs, and what the service people do to your product and what the response you get from them.
And do remember Canon acknowledges only Canon India warranty card for any repairs.
I received excellent service from Canon, a lot of times, and I won't lie that. Hope you all receive the same.
Nice shooting....

A personal happy experience here:
Canon India does not need any type of warranty card for their now known CCD problems, they recognise camera by their serial number and they are not concerned from where you purchased.

We as a group had purchased 6 canon powershot a 80 and 8 canon powershot a 95. all them except two had some sort of problems after about 1-2 years of usage.

mine had some IC blown which costed me to repair 3.5k.

while rest had CCD blown which was repaired by canon by free of cost, not a single question asked.

It is communicated to them that CCD problem is manufacturing defect so Canon will not charge a single rupee to anyone.

All the 14 cameras except one were purchased from grey market, one was purchased from USA.

Nice luck. But I doubt that every canon service center would do that. Here in Kolkata, they repair grey market products also, but for a charge. Apart from CCD changes, other problems may crop up also. In that case a Canon India warranty card should come in handy. A company incurs severe losses from grey market products that are sold at cheaper rates. So, there is a chance that they may want to check your warranty status.
Also, is that feasible for them, everytime for everyone?
A photographer known to me has the same CCD problem in his A95. But Canon is charging him 12.5K for repairs - no papers. (including 1600rs as Ser tax.)
I think he won't repair it and buy a new one.
Infact they also have an exchange offer that I told him to take. But the service center is putting the price of his old 95 at about 2000-2500 bucks. He can however exchange it with any model of his liking.
Not sure if anyone has done that.

Canon India does not need any type of warranty card for their now known CCD problems, they recognise camera by their serial number and they are not concerned from where you purchased.

Couldn't understand your statement. Do they memorise them? :bleh:
Does that hold true in most cases? Please elaborate.:huh:

Last week my roomie (TE - kgthelazy) bought A710 IS.. 12k. But it is Sify dealer's warranty of 1 year. It works fine, i have taken lotsa snaps.
At jjmehta, the same is available for 17k with 512mb card and Canon warranty of 2 years.
I think its better to shell that 4.5-5k extra for the Canon warranty.

Back