Camera Canon SX130IS and Panasonic TZ10

trojanman

Disciple
Jun 29, 2007
Hi folks,

I am thinking of buying a camera for "general" purposes with a budget of 15K in mind. Cannot say I am serious about photography but wouldn't mind clicking a good picture or two.

I have the Canon sx130is & Panasonic Lumix TZ10 in mind. Though the Lumix exceeds my budget by 5k, I have had it in mind for quite sometime.

I particularly want to know about the battery. Canon has AA batteries while Lumix has Lithium-ion batteries. Which one is the better? I have seen many ordinary batteries drain out after 10 clicks. Will a high power NiMH battery be as good as Lithium-ion? If so, then I will looking to save my 5k for sure :p

Thanks

logistopath

Molar Police
Staff member
Super Mod
May 25, 2007
Erode
IMO, Li-ions are much better and last longer although they are proprietary. If you can make a one time investment and get a spare Li-ion battery too when you make the purchase, then there is nothing like it. If you end up buying the Canon, then make sure to invest in at least two sets of Eneloop batteries. They hold charge for much longer times than ordinary rechargeables.

trojanman

Disciple
Jun 29, 2007
Thanks for your comments.

I searched a bit and found that Eneloop batteries are really better than other NiMH batteries. batterydata.com

...and I'm tempted to go for the Canon and save the 5k.

What about the camera? Hope the Canon is good value for money. JJmehta quotes 14.5k for it, can I get it cheaper elsewhere? Thinking of buyng it from Croma/Vijay sales with the Eneloop batteries.

logistopath

Molar Police
Staff member
Super Mod
May 25, 2007
Erode
While the Canon is good, I'll also advise you to take a look at the TZ8, the younger brother of TZ10. The only major difference between the TZ8 and TZ10 is the lack of GPS in the former.

trojanman

Disciple
Jun 29, 2007
Also, isn't the screen smaller, 2.7"?

The problem with Panasonic cameras here is that, most dealers don't have them and if they say "we can arrange", then they quote exorbitantly high prices. I checked at Croma, Vijas Sales, Next, Staples, etc. they don't have even one Panny model.

trojanman

Disciple
Jun 29, 2007
Okay thanks for that, might as well head to their store tomorrow and check out both models, also the smaller screen of tzZ8. Hope they will quote the same price.

trojanman

Disciple
Jun 29, 2007

iamlegend

Disciple
Oct 21, 2009
trojanman said:
@logistopath

Thanks for pointing me to ebay. Now I'm planning to buy eBay India: Canon SX130 IS 12MP DIGICAM! + 8GB + Pouch! (item 260709667410 end time 25-Dec-2010 17:38:22 IST) and eBay India: Sanyo 2HR Charger + 2000 NiMH Eneloop Battery 4pc War (item 130467446545 end time 25-Dec-2010 15:31:42 IST) :)

Never bought from ebay. Can these dealers can be trusted?

Thanks for your suggestions dhruvrock2000 & Hpnx6320, but I've made up my mind, its either Canon or Pan.
Try smartshoppers they are the best source for Cameras:

Good price,package

Canon Powershot SX130 IS 12.1 MP, 12x Optical Zoom

or else let us know in which city u r planning to buy u ll get better shop details from few members here too !!

trojanman

Disciple
Jun 29, 2007
@iamlegend
did check smartshoppers, but mahavir on ebay is giving it at far cheaper price :)

Also saw another site Fotocentreindia for cameras. Just that you will have to add the product to the cart to see the actual cost, +VAT that is. Now thinking of buying TZ10 from them for 18.6k!

By the way, mahavircomputers is giving SX130IS at a very cheap rate, 11,499?! Could there be something wrong?

iamlegend

Disciple
Oct 21, 2009
trojanman said:
@iamlegend

did check smartshoppers, but mahavir on ebay is giving it at far cheaper price :)

Also saw another site Fotocentreindia for cameras. Just that you will have to add the product to the cart to see the actual cost, +VAT that is. Now thinking of buying TZ10 from them for 18.6k!

By the way, mahavircomputers is giving SX130IS at a very cheap rate, 11,499?! Could there be something wrong?
11k means def a grey one have to be little carefull while buying. but TZ10 for 16k only !!!: Panasonic Lumix DMC-TZ10 (with 3 YEARS WARRANTY & FREE 4GB CARD + CASE)

superb deal from good camera dealer :) go and buy today only...

trojanman

Disciple
Jun 29, 2007
@logistopath: bought the battery+charger from the mumbai dealer on ebay, might receive it today. thanks

But strangely, I'm still undecided on the camera. I'm even willing to go for TZ10, given that its selling for 18.6k. But I've been looking at the sample images and the Canon samples look more vivid and deeper, don't know whether its just my eyes! So is it worth going for TZ10? Need some advice/pros&cons from owners of either.

iamlegend

Disciple
Oct 21, 2009
trojanman said:
@logistopath: bought the battery+charger from the mumbai dealer on ebay, might receive it today. thanks

But strangely, I'm still undecided on the camera. I'm even willing to go for TZ10, given that its selling for 18.6k. But I've been looking at the sample images and the Canon samples look more vivid and deeper, don't know whether its just my eyes! So is it worth going for TZ10? Need some advice/pros&cons from owners of either.
chk out Flickr: The Panasonic Lumix DMC-TZ10 Pool for TZ10 samples and more details also chk out Discussion group in that which might be helpful for u. :)