canon sx20IS opinions needed

No doubt it is a good camera. But it is usually insanely priced. Compare it to its closest competitor, the Panasonic FZ 35. You'll find the FZ 35 to have the same features, and slightly better price as well. :)

Panasonic FZ 35 has better features than the SX20 IS.... The loss of 2x Optical Zoom wont have that much effect.

The FZ 35 is also lighter than the SX20IS... LEICA lens is far more superior than the Canon Lens....

Check out reviews of both. I guess u shud get the FZ35 instead of the Canon.

i read the reviews and both the cameras are neck to neck,,,in kolkata the service of panasonic is questionable,,,,i enquired many reputed shops in kokata they dont keep lumix,,,,,,

A good part of Canon Sx20 is that it makes use of 4xAA batteries. You need not hunt for a typical battery incase if you are in need. :)

FZ35 does fantastic in-camera correction of purple fringing (JPEGs only) while the SX20 doesn't do any such thing. In shots with hi-contrast edges, this makes a lot of difference. Plus the FZ35 can record in RAW mode as well as zoom the lens in video mode if that's important to you. The Canon does have an articulated screen which can be a real plus when composing certain difficult shots.

As for the lens quality difference mentioned above, it's really not that big a deal as the Leica lens isn't going to be the same high quality glass as a "proper" Leica.

WickedTA said:
Plus the FZ35 can record in RAW mode as well as zoom the lens in video mode if that's important to you.

Do you mean that the Canon doesn't allow you to zoom the lens while in video mode?

No, Canon SX20 will allow you to slow-zoom as well as quick-zoom while recording 720p videos :)

btw Bionics, sorry for not replying to your pm about warranty on Canon SX20 IS. I checked with KMD regarding that, but he said we will have to send an email to Canon itself for this scenario.

If you like it and have decided that it is the one you want, then don't think anymore and just get it. :) It is a good camera no doubt.

Back