Budget 0-20k Can't locate small button with cursor - should I get new Mouse or mousepad ?

mysticrainman

Disciple
I'm trying to convert my pc to a more productivity oriented setup. The main problem I'm facing is that my mouse is a light gaming mouse on a cheap mousepad and I'm finding trouble locating small buttons with the cursor.

I'm trying to understand how to solve this problem.

I've already reduced mouse sensitivity but it isn't helping much.

Do I get a new mousepad? Link here suggests getting a 'soft' mousepad. Do websites define mousepads as soft and hard? Or is there a proxy term i can use to search for a soft non-gaming oriented mousepad?

Or should I get a high end mouse? Like the MX master series?

I'd like to save some costs so if getting a mousepad could solve my problem, I'd rather not spend 5-8k on the mouse.

Please help.

If you look at Redgear mousepads, there are two varieties. Speed and Control. I use the Control variety and it works just fine. May be that would work.

Unless there is something wrong with the mouse, navigating to small buttons should not be an issue.

I use a 43inch monitor at 4k resolution, with magnification set to 110%, and never have any problems.

My other setups have 32inch FHD and 29inch Ultrawide 2k I use with Kensington Orbit, and still have no issues with precision rolling the ball.

In other words, I can handle the ball to make the tip go exactly where it wants (stop with the overimagination, you guys).

If nothing else works, In all seriousness, look at a neuro consult as this might be an issue with you, and uncovering that might help you avoid something more serious later.

That mouse link doesn't open. Anyway to increase the accuracy the first thing that's suggested is to turn off acceleration.

I've never had such trouble with anything but a 100 rupee Zebronics mouse.

No matter how cheap a gaming mouse you're using, cursor accuracy should not be an issue on any surface. I use my mice in white/brown table, transparent glass table, black mouse pad, sofa, book, on my legs, what not. It's never a problem. So I'm reasonably certain changing the mouse pad is not going to help.

Why use a mousepad, havent you tried on plain desk aka without a mousepad?
I'm using mouse without a mouse pad since year 2005. No questions and fluidy gliding feeling!

Also, try playing with DPI settings.

Have you tried switching the DPI on the mouse to reduce sensitivity outside of games? It's the button below the scroll wheel

1679130128090.jpeg

Then the problem is with your DPI setting, not the mousepad. You don't even need a mousepad except to prolong the life of the sliding feet. Sensor should work fine on almost any surface

Then the problem is with your DPI setting, not the mousepad. You don't even need a mousepad except to prolong the life of the sliding feet. Sensor should work fine on almost any surface
Actually i had decreased the mouse sensitivity via windows (that should work the same as decreasing the DPI, right?). It had reduced the issue but not to the extent that i would have liked.

Actually i had decreased the mouse sensitivity via windows (that should work the same as decreasing the DPI, right?). It had reduced the issue but not to the extent that i would have liked.
You need to alter DPI settings. I always recommend gaming mouse even for everyday tasks because the experience is so much better. Don't change windows settings, just program a key to cycle dpi and click it to get desired dpi. I use Logitech g402 and it is designed to quickly change dpi in games. It is awesome for everyday tasks too.

You have answered your own question. You reduced one option, now reduce the other.

Back