cardio exercises -intensity vs duraiton

salluks

Adept
its really a contrast to and about health tips in a tech forum...but u guys give good advice..so here goes!

ive been going to the gym for 3 months now..
i run on the thread mill for about 30 mins(aprrox 2.5 kms)

then i go to cycling and again do for 30 mins(about 12 kms at level 1-5)

then i do rowing/elleptical training for 15 mins(about 100 calories)
i know its very slow..but i just cannot push myself even at 6/kms on threadmill for more than 5 mins(absolutely no stamina)..and my legs cant take it beyond that..
need some tips to improve stamina..and reduce leg pain!!

i tried interval training but..as i said its too difficult for me..
so pls suggest some *secrets* :)

No need to run to hard.. Do small increase at regular interval to boost the stamina.. Continuing this will surely help you run at more speed...
I used to run at 8.9 - 10.5 km speed.. Though its not that I kept on running at same speed during the cardio training ...

There are no secrets .. Try pushing yourself slowly.. No need to run 5 mins.. Just do 2 laps at 6-7 and then decrease for 2 laps and vice versa... If you mange to repeat the same for 2 sets of 6 laps [ 2 fast - 2slow - 2fast ] of 1.5-2minutes then slow down for 3-4 laps or depending on stamina and again continue the same.. this will surely help you gain stamina it will make your leg a bit accustomed of running in TM..

Make sure to do stretching before doing Tm.. Also running at same speed won't do wonder so keep on increasing if you think you ca. Don't hesitate to grab on to support if you feel exhausted :)

leg pain while running is not a good sign

it means you are either not running right(leaning forwards/backwards) or you shouldnt be running for now

take it in small steps, if you cant cross 5 minutes, do 5 minutes for a week then goto 6 etc

what does the gym instructor recommend?

talk to an orthopedist about the leg pains

for any effective cardio effects, you should remain at 70%max heartrate for atleast 15 minutes

Health 24 - Cardio - Heart Rate Zone

Consult a doctor,By 3 months you should have been be able to better than this easily. What is your age, height and weight ?

When i started out i was really weak too, but in a month i can walk at 6kmph for easily 30 mins and later i went on run alternatively @ 11~13kmph and walk at 7.5kmph for the same duration of 30 mins.

am 25...around 73 kgs.. and height about 5"7

my heart rate and all that in absolutely fine.

posture also might not be a problem cos..i walk at 6kms and after a few mins i get really tired..

To build up muscles and stamina requires combination of three things in almost equal ratio. These three things are Strength, Stretching and Cardio.

What you are doing is simply cardio. You need to add a strength and stretching exercises in the same routine. Otherwise your body slowly adapts to the situation. Also you need to push yourself a bit every time. Extra 50 to 100 Mtrs everyday.

Talk to a good trainer rather then a doctor. Would help you a lot. Also give your body rest after every six days.

salluks said:
am 25...around 73 kgs.. and height about 5"7

my heart rate and all that in absolutely fine.

posture also might not be a problem cos..i walk at 6kms and after a few mins i get really tired..

Could you post your diet here. When i started out i was in far worse situation than you were. 20 yrs - 81kg and 5' 4", worse part of all i had a ligament damage in the right knee.

For your leg pain you need to do some strengthening exercise , check with the doctor or there should be a fitness expert/ physiotherapist in your gym. Take it slow for now, concentrate on getting your leg pain cured.

As others have advised every exercise - whether cardio or strength should be started slowly and the intensity should be increased. This depends on your body type and stamina. As your endurance level increases you should increase the intensity say every week.

Regarding pain in legs, it might be the calves that are not able to withstand the pressure created by the exercise but as you progress they will adapt. But if you are experiencing any pain in you ankle or knee joint then either you are not doing the exercise on a flat surface or are not wearing the right shoes for the purpose. in which case you should stop and consult an orthopedic doctor or your gym instructor.

What is your goal for performing cardio? is it fat loss or something else.

Plyometrics (legs strength)
Kempo X
Cardio X

all 1 hour workouts and part of P90X.... burns calories like crazy and helps build a lot in building stamina

^^ can't correct the typo as EDIT button is not working in most forums for me in office :(

Also as some suggested you need to mantain a certain heart rate to burn max calories.... mine is around 140-150.... but don't have a heart rate monitor so I just try to keep it high but not too high.... :p

yea the pain is mostly in the shins? and calves..

about the diet.. i dont really follow much..mostly dosa/roti for breakfast

cheap crappy office food.. for lunch....and again roti/non veg(non fried) for dinner..
i only started strength. last week..i cant even lift 10 kgs..

heart rate also in not a problem..

Change your footwear. And running on the treadmill is extremely boring, if you can find a park near your place jog there for some time before going to the gym. Nothing like the real thing..

And yeah Stamina will take time to build, as Switch said dont just concentrate on cardio exercise, do weight training for 3 days, and cardio for the rest of the days. If you do not want to increase mass, dont lift heavy weights during weight training, use lighter weights and increase the reps.

Dont rush in on taking weights, it took me 2 months to use 7.5kg dumbells correctly...

pain in shins while running means you are trying too hard and are not running straight(usually leaning forwards)

we arnt saying your heartrate is a problem...we mean while doing cardio, your heartrate should rise to 110-140 and keep it there for 15-20 minutes for any positive effects

I work out a fair bit myself. 3-4 times a week I take an hour of Boxing or Thai kickboxing (AKA Muay-Thai) I also run a half hour 1-3 times a week.

If you want to build up stamina and running is too difficult, try jumping rope. (very big with boxers) It is excellent for balance, speed and endurance/stamina. It is less hard on the knees and should not be as difficult on the shins.

When I started running I was lucky to get 2-3 small city blocks without being totally out of breath and the thought of running for long periods of time or distance was too daunting....

So a personal a trainer at the dojo where I work out gave me this advice which worked really well for both my wife and I.

Start by running (for example) 3 mins and then walk for a min and then run again for 3 mins and so on. Start with a total running time of anywhere from 20-30 mins realizing that it is broken down into smaller pieces.

As you improve over time start increasing the running time and reducing the walk time (as you feel comfortable) until you are not taking breaks.

We can now run 5 miles together but find that smaller runs of 30 mins are better and are easier for us to do more frequently... adjust to fit to your own comfort level.

Back