Career Advice

LaatSahab

Skilled
Hi to everyone and anyone reading.

TL;DR -> Need good sources to learn Data Science and Machine Learning for a total novice

I'm making this thread to get another perspective for the course charted and things to watch out for while I make way. Fell free to comment and critique, that's why I'm making this thread.
I did my Bachelors from Kurukshetra University in Information technology back in 2009. Then I did my Masters in Software Systems from BITS, Pilani. As a part of Internship programme, I did a 6 month stint in Navteq in Mumbai. They offered me a job but I didn't join and went for Civil's prep full time in 2013. From '13 to '19, I kept crashing and burning in the exam. Finally after exhausting all the attempts, I moved back home. Due to lockdown and consequent slowdown, I've been at home since January 2020.
While preparing for Civils, I did manage to get some Grade-B and C offers but didn't take up on any. As by the end of the prep phase I had a pretty good expertise in the area of Policy Research and Analysis, especially in the field of International Relations and Strategic Security, I applied for an internship position in IDSA in Delhi. Got an acceptance offer from there for the role of Strategic Technologies Analyst but didn't join partly due to Covid and partly due to the fact that by that time I had become fixated on the idea that the presumptive wage loss I have had in last 7 years can be bridged faster if I move to a domain and area where wages are more. Thus I applied for a 1 year program in Machine Learning and Security in University of Waikato in New Zealand. They were the ones to make R language and their Weka Explorer, a ML tool, was being used in BITS back in 2010. Plus I have family living almost a block over from University so it was most "Economical" choice.
So right now I'm at a juncture where what I'm qualified to do, I have no experience in and what I have experience in, I have no qualification for it. Since coming back home, I have been trying my hand at learning ML/Data Science myself but haven't had much progress or luck with it. I never had a passion for coding even in my college days. For me it was a necessary evil. With almost 7 years of without writing even a single line of code, I can't code for $h!t. Did Javascript tutorial course from Khan Academy, tried a bit of Python too but left it in the middle. Bought Raspberry Pi just to reacquaint myself with Linux environment and tinker with it and Python on it. It's been a slow crawl to say the least.
On ML/DS front, after 3rd or 4th lecture of Andrew Ng on Coursera, things stopped making sense to me and felt like a Dyslexic kid from Taare Zameen Pe.
Went back to Khan Academy to "learn Maths". Complex numbers were easy but Vector algebra started bouncing off the scalp after a few lectures. Found Online source such as Kaggle geared more towards experienced professionals.
So now with almost 3 months to go for March intake, I'm second guessing if Data Science is even the right way to go.
It's not that I don't like Computers. Been messing with them since schooldays. Even now configuring and running and troubleshooting on Pi had been fun for me but Coding and Maths have also been bane of my existence. Whenever it came to any kind of exam or test, where I failed in Maths, I made up for it with excellent performance in English and Logical Reasoning. So if you have read my ramblings this far, I humbly ask you to nudge me in the right direction for learning ML/DS so that gradient of my journey is reduced when I begin the climb officially.

So I understand that you have a gap of 6yrs from 2013 - 2019?
And what is your total work experience? Out of which how much experience do you have in the tech sector?

ML and Data science needs math and statistics. it quickly jumps into calculus.
this video will give you better idea.

ML and Data science needs math and statistics. it quickly jumps into calculus.
this video will give you better idea.
I know thus been looking for source(s) that can explain/teach from basic level to the proficiency required for ML. Maths isn't something I hate. Infact Khan Acadmey's Complex number course was so good that just out of sheer interest and curiosity, I used to be up all night solving questions.

just out of sheer interest and curiosity, I used to be up all night solving questions.
this is the driving force you will need - you can ask most of the people on this forum and elsewhere who are into programming/development or anything that require logic; once you know the logic, then all the programming languages become syntax only for you (obviously the difference in constructs or way the code is written will vary) but that will be minor in the learning curve.

Even in ML/AI - their will be 2 broad level categories of the development, one is core and another set is applications based on core; you're better suited to make that judgement where you want to land.

In my own personal experience - the more you experiment and try to solve problems (I mean challenges/issues) the more easier for you to get into ML/AI or data science.

But from what I have understood so far, solving coding puzzles or chewing out Data Structures and Algorithm analysis isn't the path/process for ML unless one wants to work only on application/development side of Data Science. Strong Mathematical core is necessary for solid base in the field. For that I'm looking for instructive resources. And as far as logic goes, back in the day, had chewed through and digested entire Coreman and even managed to clear Amazon and Flipkart's Coding round for SDE in October 2012 but now coding a quick sort is a tall order as out of touch with all of it.

I have a different perspective. Can you not leverage your six years of civil prep in some way. A few things that come to mind are, firstly, applying for some other govt jobs. I mean, if you couldn't crack the top tier, the preparation should be good enough to crack some lower tiers, that is, if you are still eligible due to your age.
Secondly, if you want, you can yourself start teaching the people who are preparing for civil and other exams. This is a great avenue in itself and you should be perfect for it.

I am saying all this because I am at a somewhat similar stage in my life. However, my path has been selected, but even I was enticed, just due to the lockdown, to take a look at the long distance learning programs IITs were supposed to start this year and incidentally it was on Data Science as well.

Leveraging my civil's prep was my first choice but Indian organizations are stickler for "Degree". Atleast outside India I won't face that as an issue more than here. Because my long term plan involves taking the 2 together, ML and International Relations. As for teaching, I do have that option but don't really consider it as one because; firstly, don't have interest in it and secondly, it's not going to be more than what I make through "family business". I see ML/DS training and further working in that field as a chance to not let my higher education go waste, be it technical or humanities.

I work in IT and honestly, it is very difficult to get a job with a 6yrs gap with no prior job experience. You will probably have to start as a fresher with a 15-20k per month salary, but with recent job losses due to Covid, even that is going to be hard to get.

I work in IT and honestly, it is very difficult to get a job with a 6yrs gap with no prior job experience. You will probably have to start as a fresher with a 15-20k per month salary, but with recent job losses due to Covid, even that is going to be hard to get.
i have seen both sides. it happens only with shitty hr. i would stay away from hr asking about gaps it actually highlights shitty company culture. they would leverage it for salary negotiations.

Always remember its very difficult to find good engineers.

That's why I am not even trying to look for IT jobs in India right now. I know I have both a skill and experience deficiency which can't be bridged without re-skilling and given the current trends, up-skilling too. Thus planned to go abroad, learn their, earn their(higher wage rate, higher exchange rate) And salary thing is also an issue as it doesn't makes sense to me to devote my time and energy in an endeavor where net monetary output is going to be far less than already existing paternal ventures. I know one would say Experience but what "Freshers" go through, have seen that, too old for that. Even back in my Internship, I was tasked withnot only ongoing R&D projects but also training the new hires from local colleges.

Leveraging my civil's prep was my first choice but Indian organizations are stickler for "Degree". Atleast outside India I won't face that as an issue more than here. Because my long term plan involves taking the 2 together, ML and International Relations. As for teaching, I do have that option but don't really consider it as one because; firstly, don't have interest in it and secondly, it's not going to be more than what I make through "family business". I see ML/DS training and further working in that field as a chance to not let my higher education go waste, be it technical or humanities.
Well you do have 2 degrees, but anyways, since you do have a source of income already, you are quite free to choose whatever you do.
I am guessing, you aren't eligible for lower tiers of administration due to your age. Because if you are, then there are a lot of jobs that you could compete for.
A good thing in your case, I feel, is that you have been studying these last 6 years. Sure it was completely different from what you plan to study now, but you definitely have been using the grey matter and keeping it sharp. So it should help and all you need is revision. My brother also redid whole calculus and a lot of physics from 11th/12th a lot later in life because that was what was needed for game programming. So good luck.

Not for Central jobs as 99% of them have 30 years as upper limit. State jobs do have limit upto 40 years but that was never the aim or goal. What you have said is also what my younger sister keeps on reiterating to me. The main issue right now for me is get access to some really intuitive self-learning sources. I see no point in spending almost lacs on sites such Udemy for courses that will give superficial knowledge. I even applied for Plaksha Tech fellowship. While I wasn't accepted for it but even they were charging almost 12 lakhs as "tuition fee" for 1 year residential program. Thus thought that if I have to spend money and that too to the tune of lakhs, better do it where it is well spent even in worst case scenario thus decided to go abroad.
Right now I'm looking for sources to learn Maths for Data Science and basic Algorithms of Machine Learning in Python (and Python too). Have already done the below;

Attachments

• CertificateOfCompletion_AI-ML-1.jpg
    CertificateOfCompletion_AI-ML-1.jpg
    200.7 KB · Views: 202
  • CertificateOfCompletion_Artificial Intelligence Foundations Neural Networks-1.jpg
    CertificateOfCompletion_Artificial Intelligence Foundations Neural Networks-1.jpg
    199.9 KB · Views: 195
  • CertificateOfCompletion_Artificial Intelligence Foundations Thinking Machines-1.jpg
    CertificateOfCompletion_Artificial Intelligence Foundations Thinking Machines-1.jpg
    152.3 KB · Views: 190
  • CertificateOfCompletion_Learning Data Science Tell Stories With Data_NASBA-1.jpg
    CertificateOfCompletion_Learning Data Science Tell Stories With Data_NASBA-1.jpg
    198.2 KB · Views: 197
  • Coursera-1.jpg
    Coursera-1.jpg
    162.5 KB · Views: 197
Have you considered computer networking? Cisco/Juniper/Nokia certifications? Might be a better fit for someone in your situation. No need to learn programming or binomial distribution. Also, since networking knowledge can only be acquired from real experience, you are less likely to be upstaged by a 22 year old with ass burger syndrome.

I have quite a few gaps in my resume (including a 4 year gap early in my career). They are a minor annoyance. In most cases, even when an interviewer tells you he is rejecting you for the gap, he is not rejecting you for the gap.

Last edited:
Have you considered computer networking? Cisco/Juniper/Nokia certifications? Might be a better fit for someone in your situation. No need to learn programming or binomial distribution. Also, since networking knowledge can only be acquired from real experience, you are less likely to be upstaged by a 22 year old with ass burger syndrome.

I have quite a few gaps in my resume (including a 4 year gap early in my career). They are a minor annoyance. In most cases, even when an interviewer tells you he is rejecting you for the gap, he is not rejecting you for the gap.
That's one of my core skills area. Did my Minor and Major projects in Networking domain (Minor was deployment of full RedHat suite on college's network and Major was deploayment of Icecast based streaming College Radio). In Masters, the subject I excelled at was Ubiquitous Computing (IoT and stuff) but that's when everyone around me told me that even Cisco(my dream company back then) looks for people proficient in Network Programming i.e. Coders. Thus my plane never took off. Back in Bachelors days, getting CCNA was a big thing. I did plan on getting it but got SCJP while doing GNIIT alongwith my graduation and when Masters started, didn't felt the need for more certifications anymore.
Even in past few days, had lot of fun deploying Seedbox, Samba Client, Pi Hole and Plex Server on home network using Raspberry Pi and ensuring it accessibility across devices. My fridge has WiFi but no screen else would've had it also SSHing into Pi.

I am not sure but have you considered working in startups. I don't think startups generally mind gaps if you are able to prove the skills.Working in the field will give you better perspective of the domain and you can make a better choice.

I have no qualms about working with Startups. It's the skills part that's an issue. Took me 2 hours yesterday to code a Pyramid pattern in C. That's how much I suck at Coding/ Code problem solving.

Honestly, it isn't about the coding. you will easily find that most of the developers use stack overflow or other sites including Google to resolve their issue. So its isn't about coding - its about applying the mindset (logic) for solving the problems.

At the end, their is difference between programmer and coder - Coder just write a code and doesn't think what repercussion that code will have whereas programmer is something - he will do everything coder does but his work will have reasoning and s/he could solve the challenges that arise from that code piece.

Back