Storage Solutions Casing to convert HDD and a few other questions

ashebouy

Disciple
I want to know where online can i get the Casing to convert internal hard disc to an external one

Which one is better for storage of pictures, movies, mp3's....an internal one or an external one.

Do specify the brand.....i want to go for 1tb one

Plan for dual boot windows 7 with ubuntu....do all external hard drives read ubuntu?

thanks in advance

^^ @ashebouy Internal drives are more reliable for storage in my opinion but if you need portability the external drives are handy, instead of buying the casing online just try to get it in the local PC market. Where are you based?

If you plan to dual-boot, make sure the drive is internal, external drives will be slow and the entire process will be a headache not to say compatibility issues.

Hope this helps, Cheerio!

Brands for external casing --> Transcend, Cooler Master OR Zippy's.

Last edited by a moderator:
ALPHA17 thanks for the advice....i am based in bhubaneshwar.

Can i use an internal drive with a casing and boot(windows - xp or 7/ubuntu) from the usb?

and regarding casing which is better, one with a different wire for power source or the one which is charged with usb?

Thanks again

Can i use an internal drive with a casing and boot(windows - xp or 7/ubuntu) from the usb?

and regarding casing which is better, one with a different wire for power source or the one which is charged with usb?

Yes you can do that but the boot itself will be very slow (if the computer recognizes the device) because in the standard course of things the USB device is only used to install the OS not as the primary drive itself, because of the small bandwidth of the USB architecture (2.0 and earlier) with 3.0 this should not be an issue.

Casing is upto you, if you want portability I doubt you can have a 1TB drive in the case, at tops a 500GB hard-drive drawing power from the USB cable. As for the latter option of powering with a separate cable and data via a dedicated USB cable the portability is lesser but you can easily but 1TB OR newer 2TB drive in the case.

Hope this helps, Cheerio!

If you want to use a boot drive I suggest that you keep it internal, keep the external drive as a data-dump.

About the booting from the usb....i was asking as a backup.

I have a 500gb HDD, want to buy a 1tb drive and use the 500gb one as an external one.

About the booting from the usb....i was asking as a backup.

I have a 500gb HDD, want to buy a 1tb drive and use the 500gb one as an external one.

Yeah go ahead with buying a case then but do not forget to format the drive before making it an external drive. Cheerio!

Can any one suggest which brand of 1 TB disk should i buy. my needs are for storage of pictures, movies, mp3's...

And as in the above discussion with ALPHA17 i have decided to go for an internal one. I might use it as a Master drive and use my 500gb as a slave (or vise versa)......and in case i have transfer my pictures to another comp or laptop i can simply remove the drive and use the casing to make it an external one to transfer the files.

I know there are a plethora of threads plus i am asking the same question....problem is very one have their own needs....and one tends to loose focus on their own need and starts thinking through others point of view.

So please suggest which brand of HDD should i go for.

And thanks ALPHA1 for all your suggestions i think i will go with a casing with a separate power cable in case i have to upgrade to a higher TB HDD

Thanks in advance.

i am planning to go for

WD Caviar green 1 tb we10dearx

any suggestions?

Is this going to be used extensively OR as a data dump? Because I do not generally recommend these, they have a nasty propensity for taking a hike with no warnings.

Go for the Seagate Barracuda 7200.14 1TB OR Western Digital Blue edition 1TB drives as far as possible. Cheerio!

right now i am tempted to use it a dump and use my existing 500gb as it is.....or vise versa....

i am confused with so many variations....only considerations is that it should be fast if i use it as a dump 7,200 rpm...for faster copying and it should be reliable.

Back