Cat 6 Cable speed limited to 100Mbps

Checked with Wi-Fi and lan. Speeds are same I.e restricted to 100mbps

should I use the cross over cable pattern or straight thru cable?

I redid the crimp using t568B standard on both ends of the cable and no changes noted in speed.
Does the deco m4 support gigabit backhaul?

Try plugging the same cable on your PC to see if it negotiates gigabit

Doesn't Cat6 has good insulation compared to previous generations? Interference shouldn't be that much of an issue.
@belictony how much were the network speeds when the connection was setup the first time.
Yes CAT6 has better cross-talk prevention (not insulation) compared to previous generations, but is not a replacement for CAT6 shielded. CAT6 shielded may be run in electrical conduits but is significantly costlier.
How do I check continuity? cable tester is required?. I dont intend to buy a cable tester. Any other way to test the continuity?

I dont think interference is the issue as there are no nearby electrical wires.
Best way to avoid buying a cable tester is to get the wire pre-crimped and tested at the shop before installing.

Some (rare) motherboards and routers also sometimes have a LAN testing utility wich can detect how far along the cable the line is bad.

Brother those Deco units are not really cheap and they only way they will perform their best is with good cabling.

Besides for neat and clean setup, wires installed on walls should either terminate in a patch panel or a wall I/O and the device to be connected using a patch cord. This prevents a cable with a RJ45 hanging off the wall.

To handle this task efficently you need a crimper, wire stripper, tester and RJ45 crystals at the least.

Properly installed the wire will outlive the electronic devices such as Deco and work problem free for decades, so install with care.

Last edited:
Does the deco m4 support gigabit backhaul?

Try plugging the same cable on your PC to see if it negotiates gigabit
Deco M4 comes with a default lan cable which is a very short one. Using that when I connect PC and Deco, the speed negotiated is Gigabit. Seems to be problem of bad cable or issue with crimp somehow.
Yes CAT6 has better cross-talk prevention (not insulation) compared to previous generations, but is not a replacement for CAT6 shielded. CAT6 shielded may be run in electrical conduits but is significantly costlier.

Best way to avoid buying a cable tester is to get the wire pre-crimped and tested at the shop before installing.
I tested the wire in the shop, but didnt do a speed check.
Some (rare) motherboards and routers also sometimes have a LAN testing utility wich can detect how far along the cable the line is bad.
I am sure my motherboard or router does not have it.

Besides for neat and clean setup, wires installed on walls should either terminate in a patch panel or a wall I/O and the device to be connected using a patch cord. This prevents a cable with a RJ45 hanging off the wall.

To handle this task efficently you need a crimper, wire stripper, tester and RJ45 crystals at the least.

Properly installed the wire will outlive the electronic devices such as Deco and work problem free for decades, so install with care.
New home is all setup. Now I cant run even normal 1.5 Sq.mm electrical wire inside the wall...

I have a crimper (also acts as a wire stripper) and RJ45 crystal heads. I cut the original RJ45 heads and redid the crimping. I am wondering how a cable which has 8 wires for 8p RJ45 crystal head and has cat 6 printed on the cable cover fails to get gigabit speeds.

I don't think cable tester can check the quality of the cable. It will only check continuity.

I think you should test the cable without deco modules. Use with it with different gigabit router. If you don't have that then crimp the cable into serial mode. If you have 2 laptops or PCs then connect it between them.

Deco M4 comes with a default lan cable which is a very short one. Using that when I connect PC and Deco, the speed negotiated is Gigabit. Seems to be problem of bad cable or issue with crimp somehow.

I tested the wire in the shop, but didnt do a speed check.

I am sure my motherboard or router does not have it.

New home is all setup. Now I cant run even normal 1.5 Sq.mm electrical wire inside the wall...

I have a crimper (also acts as a wire stripper) and RJ45 crystal heads. I cut the original RJ45 heads and redid the crimping. I am wondering how a cable which has 8 wires for 8p RJ45 crystal head and has cat 6 printed on the cable cover fails to get gigabit speeds.
Quote " I am wondering how a cable which has 8 wires for 8p RJ45 crystal head and has cat 6 printed on the cable cover fails to get gigabit speeds" . This is easy to understand when you realise only 4 wires from the 8 are required to acheive 100Mbps connection, while all 8 are required for gigabit. Also it is quite important to use proper colour code and the correct pairs from the twisted-pairs.

Update: I redid the crimping on one end of the cable again suspecting that there might be a loose connection and it got resovled. Now its showing gigabit speeds and getting 250mbps over wifi. Thank you all for your inputs.
How did you figure out which end had the bad crimping ?
Quote " I am wondering how a cable which has 8 wires for 8p RJ45 crystal head and has cat 6 printed on the cable cover fails to get gigabit speeds" . This is easy to understand when you realise only 4 wires from the 8 are required to acheive 100Mbps connection, while all 8 are required for gigabit. Also it is quite important to use proper colour code and the correct pairs from the twisted-pairs.
Cute video. What surprised me is he has HINDI as the default language in CC. Eh !!?

Last edited:
Back