CCTV Network with multiple HDMI displays needed

Hello All,

I require your guidance in helping me set a network of CCTV with displays in various areas.

Background:

Thieves made good of valuables in our locked neighbor’s house ending with making away with his Santro too. The houses beside his, has watchmen who had drunk and slept off failing to notice the getaway too. The police had been scouring the place and so far nada. They stressed the importance of CCTV. This incident has raised fear among us and also my parents who has to live alone for most of the time.

Requirements:

HD Cam – 8 Nos
5 Covering Ground Floor, 1 near house entrance, 2 in staircase leading to 1st Floor

1 or 2 tb HDD

Preferred Brands Dahua or HIK Vision

I need to set the control on the terrace room which is in the 2nd floor. The Kitchen in the Ground Floor, the main door should have HDMI out so that I can connect Display to them. Also another HDMI out in the 1st floor.

Budget: Not yet decided. Should be VFM. Have 2 displays with HDMI at my disposal. So you can leave them out. Will be buying components in Chennai, Bangalore or online too.

I need your inputs for the following queries:

1) What kind of wiring, Power supply, HDMI cable is needed?
2) What components I should invest? HD Cam & Recorder, Software
3) What kind of setup for HDMI Displays?

This will be added to the Inverter for stand in power, either existing or new one for the extra load.

If possible, get a box which can do analog out, as running HDMI over long distances is pretty lousy. With analog, you can use normal RG6 wires for 480p/576i video over RCA ports.

Coming to the cameras, you need to look at a combination of short and long range ones.

For the cameras - if you are going for analog ones, then you need RG6+2pc power or 3+1 wires. Ensure that all the PSU for the cameras and the DVR cannot be tampered with. If going with IP, you need CAT6. If you are going with WiFi cameras, then you only need power.

If theft prevention is really a concern, I honestly suggest you invest in a security system with motion sensors as opposed to a CCTV system. A CCTV system is just that - Cameras. Every burglar that we've ever encountered has come with a mask of some sort, so post-theft identification is out of the question. My house and my entire street have CCTV coverage. Despite that, we've has two robberies on my street in the last 8 months. The burglars wore balaclava's, so no identification was possible. The police came the next day, gathered all the CCTV footage and that was the end of it.

If I were in your place, I'd do a security system and just as a deterrent, I'd install dummy cameras in prominent locations so at least the burglar thinks you're wired up good :)

Of course, if you have the budget to do both, that would be the best solution, but in my experience, CCTV-only solution really does very little to protect you.

I believe you can use the motion sensing capabilities on the CCTV camera. However, they would be difficult to maintain, if changing times. However, do not make the mistake of having dummy cameras, cameras have their uses, albeit what satan says. The problem is with resolution - the cheaper ones are pretty useless.

You should contact a contractor, trust me diy is not that easy ( tried it ).
Of course, but the question of ease of use is hanging on my parents. Also one should have an idea rather than getting ripped off. Ex: I received a quote for Cplus HD cam at INR4900 each by one contractor while other said INR2100 for the same.

If theft prevention is really a concern, I honestly suggest you invest in a security system with motion sensors as opposed to a CCTV system. A CCTV system is just that - Cameras. Every burglar that we've ever encountered has come with a mask of some sort, so post-theft identification is out of the question. My house and my entire street have CCTV coverage. Despite that, we've has two robberies on my street in the last 8 months. The burglars wore balaclava's, so no identification was possible. The police came the next day, gathered all the CCTV footage and that was the end of it.

If I were in your place, I'd do a security system and just as a deterrent, I'd install dummy cameras in prominent locations so at least the burglar thinks you're wired up good :)

Of course, if you have the budget to do both, that would be the best solution, but in my experience, CCTV-only solution really does very little to protect you.
So true CCTV is installed not as a deterrent of crime but rather helping us to id a person lurking anywhere. Motion sensors will go haywire in my place as you can easily spot a dozen felines hanging around in our street and house by the end of the day. Not to mention swinging squirrels. Night time is worse as you can easily spot them over/under cars, Sunshade, Window Stills, Thanks to Ma & Fellow animal lovers and the open ground nearby.

If possible, get a box which can do analog out, as running HDMI over long distances is pretty lousy. With analog, you can use normal RG6 wires for 480p/576i video over RCA ports.

Coming to the cameras, you need to look at a combination of short and long range ones.

For the cameras - if you are going for analog ones, then you need RG6+2pc power or 3+1 wires. Ensure that all the PSU for the cameras and the DVR cannot be tampered with. If going with IP, you need CAT6. If you are going with WiFi cameras, then you only need power.

The cameras will be wired and not wifi ones. Not decided on resolutions. The contractors have suggested 1.2mp and above with HD.
I agree with running HDMI Cables across the house will be a waste.I was thinking of using a Pi3 or some gadget with CAT 6 cable or Wifi to source the input from the DVR and running the HDMI from it to TV for the Ground & 1st Floor. The question - Is it worth it?

How exactly can we protect PSU for the Cams from tampering?

I hope thats CP Plus cameras, and not some other brand. They are good, alternatively you can look at Hikvision.

To protect the PSU and DVR from Tampering, you need to keep it in a secure place locked up

I dont know about Pi, but look at NUC, because the Hikvision apps are for Mac and Windows mainly. If you opt for IP Cameras, you can do something. Alternatively, setup some other form of IP streaming.

Basically, there are 3 types of CCTV cams

1. Analog (coax) - 700 TV Lines and the likes - SD
2. Digital/TurboHD/HD-CVI (coax) - HD quality
3. IP cameras (CAT5/6) - HD quality

Analog should be less than 1.2K for the most expensive 700TVL ones

, HD CVI should be 2K or more depends on clarity

, IP should be 3.5K or more, starts @ 1MP or 1.3MP

All should have night vision.

I would suggest letting professionals set it up. HikVision has official vendors listed on their site. Also, get the feeds accessible over Internet. HikVision has its own app.

Oh yes, get it done by pros. Else, if they do not cover the wires properly, you are susceptible to rodents, and then some more...

However, please be aware of the rates, many CCTV vendors will try to take for a ride. And get referrals.

Back