CDMA touchscreen advice

mroy

Disciple
I have a Reliance CDMA connection and would like to upgrade my handset to a touchscreen mobile. I have considered the Samsung Galaxy Ace Duos since it is officially available in India.

I would like to know if it is advisable to buy CDMA handsets from ebay. They are declared as registered with Reliance but I have heard that problems occur when using netbanking, since these are basically USA based handsets.

I would have considered the Samsung i500 (Galaxy S CDMA) which I heard was being offered at a discount, but I want the Android version to be at least Gingerbread or upgradable to Gingerbread officially (no rooting etc.)

I have filled in the questionnaire below. Kindly let me know if the Ace Duos fits the bill or suggest aany alternates.

Thanks

Madhabi

1. Q: Budget?

A: 20k

2. Q: Preferred Form Factor(flip, bar, slider)?
A: Bar

3. Q: Preferred display type?
A: Legible in sunlight, good color rendition

4. Q: Do you have any brand preference or dislike? Please name them.
A: Samsung, Nokia, Sony , LG, Motorola

5. Q: Preferred input method (Touchscreen, QWERTY, etc.)?
A: Touchscreen

6. Q: Camera required or not? If required, please specify type like front camera/flash/etc.

A: Required, basically to use for bar code scanning

7. Q: Preferred operating system? (Android, Symbian, iOS, Windows Phone etc).
A: Android, Windows Phone - minimum Gingerbread or at least upgradeable officially

8. Q: Preferred connectivity options? (3G, Wifi, Edge etc).
A: 3G, Wi-fi,Bluetooth

9. Q: What is your intended use for this phone(internet, camera, multimedia, mails, etc)?
A: Important

Calling, SMS
Reading PDF e-books
Viewing photos, 1080p videos taken with digital camera - will insert camera card into phone for viewing.
Games - Sudoku, Mahjong, Chess

Occasional internet - email, netbanking, train time table look up

GPS

11. Q: If you have already considered a phone then please mention the model.
A: Samsung Galaxy Ace Duos

It doesn't make sense to buy a dual-sim phone with cdma support.
While the Ace Duos will do everything you've mentioned, I don't think it's a good buy. Single-sim phones with far better features are available in the same price range of the Duos.
I've got a Reliance CDMA connection too, and I'm going to use MNP and change to Reliance GSM, and buy a dual-sim android. The one I've got my eye on is the Karbonn A9 @ ~Rs.9000. It's got a 1600mah battery, a 3.8" 800*480 screen, a 1ghz processor, 512MB RAM and dual sim with 3G. It looks nice too. The only problems are that it's a Karbonn, and that it hasn't and probably will never get ICS.

As far as the Ace Duos is concerned, it's not a bad phone, but it records video in only VGA, it's got a 320 x 480 pixel screen and it only allows you to use your CDMA connection to use the internet. All deal-breakers for me. If you can live with those shortcomings, it's not a bad option, and you should pick it up.

It doesn't make sense to buy a dual-sim phone with cdma support.
While the Ace Duos will do everything you've mentioned, I don't think it's a good buy. Single-sim phones with far better features are available in the same price range of the Duos.
I've got a Reliance CDMA connection too, and I'm going to use MNP and change to Reliance GSM, and buy a dual-sim android. The one I've got my eye on is the Karbonn A9 @ ~Rs.9000. It's got a 1600mah battery, a 3.8" 800*480 screen, a 1ghz processor, 512MB RAM and dual sim with 3G. It looks nice too. The only problems are that it's a Karbonn, and that it hasn't and probably will never get ICS.

As far as the Ace Duos is concerned, it's not a bad phone, but it records video in only VGA, it's got a 320 x 480 pixel screen and it only allows you to use your CDMA connection to use the internet. All deal-breakers for me. If you can live with those shortcomings, it's not a bad option, and you should pick it up.
Check out RIMweb.in :: Reliance Mobile ( CDMA & GSM ) Discussion Forums. You can get a hell lot of choices and at decent prices too. There is Epic 4g,Epic touc,HTC Rezound and so many else. U can go for netbanking also. You wont have any wories. I do it without any issues from the mobile.

Back