User Guides Cell phone recommendations !!!

so you are in the market for a new phone.. have all the cash ready in your pocket..but then
you do not know which phone to go for? well we have had numerous "which phone to buy" threads in TE
so I thought of just making a sort of guide where people can come and just have a check... not the usual sort, mind you

as for the basics we already have it all covered up in an excellent guide by siddharth
http://www.techenclave.com/forums/gsm-buying-guide-80787.html

so I suggest you read that article before moving on to this one....
as for the market, the budget range is still very simple, so I will be concentrating on mid range phones more
The more the choices,the more the confusion ;)

also In this thread I am going to name the models as they are in market today... so if the list holds models of a particular
finnish company, and a swede company only, I am not to be blamed.. I am not a fanboy by a long strech!

More resources online:

1)GSMArena.com - GSM reviews, opinions, votes, manuals, ringtones and more...
2)Mobile Phone News and Reviews (MobileBurn)
3)Mobile-review.com Âñå î ìîáèëüíîé òåõíèêå è òåõíîëîãèÿõ
4)Mobile phone reviews, previews and commentaries .:. Mobique.com
5)Product Reviews: Mobile Phones - CNET Asia
6)phoneArena.com - Mobile phone specifications and features, reviews, news and forum
------------------------------------------------------

1) Camera: well I will tell you, unless you are enthusiast, this is one of the most overrated feature of a phone. When you go to a shop today, most likely you
will be bombarded by 3.2mp and 2.o MP toting models. Honestly are u going to use them? yeah it is nice for "picture of the moment", when you dont have your
digicam handy.... but that is it...but then the supply is too high for the demand to cede...
recommended models :

10-12k : Se K750
12- 15k : Se W810

above 15k: Se K790i
above 20k : Nokia N73,D900(samsung)
above 25k: Nokia N93(Not for stills)

overall: K790i and N73 provide you the best stills, while the N93 is the thing for videos...
all the Se phones that have 2MP af camera are trendsetters. earlier Nokia used to lose around here,
but with N73 armed with AF and Mnaual shutter it is getting hard to decide....

2)Music: ok, This is one of the features which I have always thought is a proper company for a phone. And with N91 having better then Ipod quality
and W850i having a 28 hours battery life, life is on rocks, literally :)
recommended models :

10-12k : Se K750 , Se W700

12-14k : Se W810 , Nokia 3250

above 15k : Se W850i, N91-e

overall: N91 has the best sound quality, but bulk and stability are issues... W850i appears to be the best in the market at present
and mind you It has better sound quality then 1st generation walkman phones like W800
3) Smartphones(symbian): I have not used MS smartphones, But I have used a lot of symbians , so I am going to talk only about them
recommended models : <10k : 6600
10-12k : N 6630, E50
14k-18k : N72,70
18-22k : N73
overall: N73 is the best overall, however If u do not need that camera, u can always choose N70...
fr 12k Nothing comes colse to E50 with qvga screen and 3rd edition symbian...
4)Stylish phones : "style" is surely as personal a choice it can be, It is for you to decide which phone you find cool looking

recommendations : ????, RAzr,krzr, whtvr, Z610 , upcoming Nokia 7390

----------------------------------------------------------------------

will be updated when possible and applicable!

nice small compilation...1 thing i'd like to add..

BEWARE of symbian phones...
once u get used to them..there is NO way you will settle for anything less than that..:)

super_saiyan said:
nice small compilation...1 thing i'd like to add..

BEWARE of symbian phones...
once u get used to them..there is NO way you will settle for anything less than that..:)

yup i agree. the kind of stuff u can do on a symbian is simply amazing..:clap:

Btw, nice small guide there.

nice guide aka ... though I think you should have posted this in the mobile section insted of guide's section .... that way we could have made it a sticky and updated it ever few days ... infact was planning on doing the same this weekend ... still a nice effort :)

Nice guide! all recommendations are costlier. may be worth for the futures they offer. How about budget phones say 3000 - 6000/- range?

Good list of recommendations. If you have more information, you could also list from the phones that are good for mp3 playback, whether they have a 3.5 mm stereo jack receiver. (I think it would be a very important feature when deciding to go for a music phone).

Also, any idea of N73's music quality? It seems to emerge as the phone of choice with good symbian features and a good camera.

Only the k790 has the xenon flash. . But the led in n73 is also quite bright. . N73 is the best phone overall in the market according to gsmarena. . Music quality is quite good but a notch below n91 and w850. But you need to use a 3.5 adapter for that. .

N80. . If you wanna say why it is not there in this list. . Because of it's subpar battery life and an average camera . Maybe if it comes below 20k, it will be a good choice. .

I was reviewing camera pictures at Esato - All about mobile phones. Including Sony Ericsson K800, K790, W810, Z530, W880 W880i, W200i W200 K610, Z610, P990, M600, K320 Nokia Motorola Benq-Siemens Samsung and more. After going through quite a few, i noticed that pictures taken with the S700i were very good although they were around 1.3 Mpixel. They looked less noisy than the K800i and N73. Even at insane ISOs of 1250, they looked pretty good. I did a little investigation and found out that the S700i uses a CCD sensor instead of CMOS. Only other phone to use that is the N90. My analysis is

1) CCD sensor would be preferred in a camera phone for sharper and less noisy pictures.
2) 2.0 Mpixel just doesn't have enough image detail to be consider very good quality. 3.2 Mpixel just makes it.

Surprisingly, the N93 photos looked very very bad. I don't understand why. the N93 is supposed to use optics similar to cameras and this is a first in mobile phones. Not sure of the kind of sensor used on the N93.

If the N90 has music quality as good as the SE W series, I would go for it. The bulk would come of use in showing off :). Only issue would be the 2Mpixel image detail.

N90 has a cmos sensor.......... s700 has an ok image quality, same as Nokia 6630,6681......

N93 is good in videos, if u wanna make quality stills then N73 is the way..

as for music N73 is quite good and can only improve with future FW updates...

Back