Audio Change my mind: Wireless earphones/headphones are planned obsolescence and create a lot of e-waste.

My two dozen broken wired iem's and their housings buried in some landfill would like to have a word with you.
Even when some of them were used with extreme care the left channel eventually stopped working and when the wires were replaceable, the connectors gave up on some of them.
I haven't bought a single pair of audio gear in the last 3 years because I've had enough, I just avoid all the chi-fi hypetrains/bandwagons that pass every month.

Planned obsoloscence has been a thing for decades now and it isn't going anywhere be it for audio gear or any other electronic item.

How is it risky? Just run the cable under your shirt, I do it all the time.
If the drag is too tight it might pull the mobile out of pocket while you adjust the cable around your chest. If it's too loose it will stick out around pocket and might catch someone's bag among other things. This is India.

And while I do respect the sentiment of being environmentally conscious - and I am not a RW climate change denial jerk (far from it actually)
But If your answer to any of the above is a Yes then am afraid to say that complaining about the environmental impact of TWSs is akin to a serial killer preaching about the sanctity of all life :)
Not exactly. See the measures taken by Apple in the same article - zero landfill by themselves, 100% renewable energy etc. All of that awareness was created by imperfect people, who themselves damage the environment in some way or the other.

See the effect of Paris agreement, and ongoing further talks. In spite of some failures, there has been progress, all made possible by imperfect people.
My two dozen broken wired iem's and their housings buried in some landfill would like to have a word with you.
Even when some of them were used with extreme care the left channel eventually stopped working and when the wires were replaceable, the connectors gave up on some of them.
The exact components vary, but batteries as a whole are found to be more harmful in landfills than average electrical and electronic waste.

Last edited:
almost every electronics and every consumer goods these days are planned obsolescence
This goes for a lot of consumer products these days. Things are no longer built to last and companies deliberately make products which will fail in a few years. The pace of change, or at least perceived change, is so fast that people also want to upgrade every few years, whether they need to or not.

Many times the perceived convenience is achieved through gaslighting rather than actual utility. This is very much applicable for bluetooth headphones. Consider how easy it is to connect wired headphones, you insert the pin, done. You want to put it in a different device, you plug it in that. Done. Now enter bluetooth. First you have to pair the headphones with every device you want to connect it to. Now every time you want to use it, you have to switch it on and wait for it to connect to your device. And god forbid if two paired devices are in range. Now you have to figure out which one it is connected to and switch off the bluetooth on that. To top it all, you have to remember to charge it every once in a while. Since I use my headphones occasionally, it's almost never charged when I need it.

Contrary to popular perception, bluetooth headphones actually make more sense at home because then you can connect it to the TV/Computer and be free for some movement or not have a wire running across the room to trip people. On the move, your portable device is anyway going to be on your body, so wired headphones are way more convenient during commute. This is why companies had to force adoption by removing the headphone jack. Without this trick, people would never have found it more convenient.

To top it all, there's absolutely no way for consumers to safely dispose electronics, especially in India. I still don't know what I'm supposed to do with my old non-working electronics if I don't need them anymore or they've stopped working. Nobody actually works on disposal. Western countries just dump their e-waste in India/China (now banned)/Thailand etc. Then people working in dangerous conditions melt them in unsafe ways to create more toxic waste which goes down the drain, poisoning our soil and water.

This is a menace which is being made worse by companies. And we cannot blame the consumers because for an individual, the impact of their own actions are either not visible or seems too small (drop in the ocean) to matter. But a corporate is aware of all this and still proceeds with everything.
at least Mars can be used as dump yard

That's the general problem with the entire carbon credits and net zero economy. You can individually meet your targets by passing the buck to someone else. Basically that was how Tesla made most of its money initially by offsetting the traditional car companies. In that sense, it operates like a pyramid scheme that works until there is no one else to offload your pollution to. Pretty sure there are a lot of shell companies that specifically deal with this.

OP Can't agree more. The cost we pay for "convenience" is too much on everything. Hence I have wired hand picked IEMs and use MI cheap wired earphones for calls of I ever need to. Companies also push Bluetooth because masses love it and manufacturers have 400/500% margins on BT products!
I dislike how it pairs and connect with different devices and personally found sound quality not so enthralling as everyone else rave about it (may be it is just me)
It is not only you. Wireless can never beat wired and if it does one needs to pay very high price for "convenience"

Last edited:
Sony WH-1000XM4 is good in noise cancellation.
However, there is inconvenience during pairing with different devices (need their software on connecting device, pairing is iffy after pressing the button on headphone, etc.), felt audio quality to be far better in many other cheaper wired headphones. Not that it is underwhelming, but felt now worth the money we pay. Took advice from few who happens to be 'fans' of the device, lot of raving internet reviews, but it is solely my mistake for not taking a personal thorough experience before buying.

Sony WH-1000XM4 is good in noise cancellation.
However, there is inconvenience during pairing with different devices (need their software on connecting device, pairing is iffy after pressing the button on headphone, etc.), felt audio quality to be far better in many other cheaper wired headphones. Not that it is underwhelming, but felt now worth the money we pay. Took advice from few who happens to be 'fans' of the device, lot of raving internet reviews, but it is solely my mistake for not taking a personal thorough experience before buying.
Is it even available in India?

Back