Changing cartridges of inkjet printers

So this Canon PIXMA G1000 is an ink tank

People on this board with ink tank printers told me that occasional printing with an ink tank was ok whereas it is NOT with a typical ink jet that needs to be run at least once a week or the heads get clogged.

OP's problem is clogged heads because of occasional printing. You see the printer runs a periodic maintenance service where it flushes ink through the heads when it is left unused for an extended period. But it needs to be plugged in and there are some people who object to this self-clean mode thinking of it as waste. It is not waste. If you want your ink tank to work with unclogged print heads then that is the price you pay.

This is the main reason i went with a laser printer. BW though as colour ones are not available at the right price in India unlike in other markets.
whereas it is NOT with a typical ink jet that needs to be run at least once a week or the heads get clogged.
Bro all Canon Pixma printers need to be run atleast once a week. Why you have mentioned the opposite?
As per my experience self/deep cleaning is a waste of ink.
You are right laser printers are the way to go. Learnt this lesson later. BTW which printer are you using and how much did you pay for it?

Bro all Canon Pixma printers need to be run atleast once a week. Why you have mentioned the opposite?
Because that is what people here told me. Those that owned brother ink tanks

Ink tank was fine.

As per my experience self/deep cleaning is a waste of ink.
I'm not familiar with the process but didn't think it runs test print pages. It runs the process in the background in case you can't run a print job every week.

You are right laser printers are the way to go. Learnt this lesson later. BTW which printer are you using and how much did you pay for it?

You bought an ink tank for a reason. You need the colour. There is a way to have it work without issue if you can't use it every week.

I have a brother inktank printer model DCP-T310. I had bought this more than 2 years ago and have taken around 2000 pages of prints. I still have one fourth of ink left. Does not clog and has auto self cleaning.

This is why it didn't clog.
I don't know maybe it is true but before I bought this printer I had a Epson and Canon inkjet printers. Constant change of cartridges was needed for both the printers. The cartridge will dry up even if it is not used for two to three weeks. Auto cleaning never worked with these printers when the cartridges dry up. This did not happen with ink tank even when it was not extensively used.

It has and I tried many times but besides wasting ink it didn't do anything.
How often did you run the self clean cycle ?

The recommend is once a month
  • Using your inkjet printer at least twice a week
  • Running head cleaning cycles at least once a month
  • Occasionally run paper of differing thickness through your printer to clear excess ink off the heads
  • Stick with genuine OEM cartridges
  • Occasionally use a “cleaning cartridge” or “maintenance cartridge” if available for your model printer

Back