Changing cartridges of inkjet printers

Hi,

From which website can we buy original cartridges of inkjet printers? Couldn't find a trusted source on Amazon and Flipkart. Is there a specific website which deals with printer related accessories?

Can cartridges be changed at home or is a visit to the repair guy necessary?

Thanks

I have purchased HP cartridges from Amazon before. Just be sure you're ordering the correct model. Also no, you don't need a repair guy as such and you can easily switch out the cartridges yourself.

Some people are inclined to mod their cartridges at CTC to save on ink costs (HP charges a bomb for a new cartridge whereas you'll find an equivalent quality ink refill at a much less price). If that's your vibe then you can experiment on your current used cartridge and see how it goes.

I have purchased HP cartridges couple of time from https://ltonlinestore.in. You can change them yourself. Follow the manual or watch a video for your model. Some printers even have a label attached with a quick install guide.
Thanks, will check it and will get back to you.
The repair guy said cartridge, both black and colored needs replacement. Anand from Dubaria said that it is printerhead and not a cartridge in the G1000 and G2000. I couldn't find the same info or the product model number in some manual pdf that I downloaded from Canon. Any help? This is what Dubaria suggested https://dubaria.shop/products/dubar...000-printer-combo?_pos=3&_sid=d8cbb4e57&_ss=r They didn't have the original one.

White lines started showing on the black part and now they are also showing on the non-black (colored) prints of the area too. + @silverstar @rockyo27

I have purchased HP cartridges from Amazon before. Just be sure you're ordering the correct model. Also no, you don't need a repair guy as such and you can easily switch out the cartridges yourself.

Some people are inclined to mod their cartridges at CTC to save on ink costs (HP charges a bomb for a new cartridge whereas you'll find an equivalent quality ink refill at a much less price). If that's your vibe then you can experiment on your current used cartridge and see how it goes.
Any recommended seller?
What is the meaning of modding the cartridges? CTC matlab?

P.S. Won't be doing this but just asking, do compatible inks/cartridges/printer heads etc. lessen the life of a printer?
@Silent47Assassin
Ltonline is a weird looking site. I couldn't find their email address and number on their site. Do you have the same.
Edit- Got the number and have whatsapped, lets see.
@tech.monk @Silent47Assassin @silverstar @rockyo27

This is how the print outs look like

Now my friend said that cartridges need replacement. The guy at dubaria said that they have compatible cartridges which as per him are called printedheads in the G1000/2000 series. He also said after seeing the above photos that the issue could be something else. The printer is in a very small city. There are no good repair guys there. There are some but just like the service center they charge a bomb. The printer is about 2-2.5 years old. It was used like once or twice in a month to print 10-20 colored prints. I think this might have aggravated the issue. So, I was hoping to get whatever thing needs replacement online and then replace the same, if it could be done without much hassle, myself when I go there. Any advice?

Last edited:
Thanks, will check it and will get back to you.
The repair guy said cartridge, both black and colored needs replacement. Anand from Dubaria said that it is printerhead and not a cartridge in the G1000 and G2000. I couldn't find the same info or the product model number in some manual pdf that I downloaded from Canon. Any help? This is what Dubaria suggested https://dubaria.shop/products/dubar...000-printer-combo?_pos=3&_sid=d8cbb4e57&_ss=r They didn't have the original one.

White lines started showing on the black part and now they are also showing on the non-black (colored) prints of the area too. + @silverstar @rockyo27

Any recommended seller?

P.S. Won't be doing this but just asking, do compatible inks/cartridges/printer heads etc. lessen the life of a printer?
@Silent47Assassin
Ltonline is a weird looking site. I couldn't find their email address and number on their site. Do you have the same.
Edit- Got the number and have whatsapped, lets see.
@tech.monk @Silent47Assassin @silverstar @rockyo27

This is how the print outs look like

Now my friend said that cartridges need replacement. The guy at dubaria said that they have compatible cartridges which as per him are called printedheads in the G1000/2000 series. He also said after seeing the above photos that the issue could be something else. The printer is in a very small city. There are no good repair guys there. There are some but just like the service center they charge a bomb. The printer is about 2-2.5 years old. It was used like once or twice in a month to print 10-20 colored prints. I think this might have aggravated the issue. So, I was hoping to get whatever thing needs replacement online and then replace the same, if it could be done without much hassle, myself when I go there. Any advice?
Based on images, I see it could be due to clogged nozzles - would it be possible to run the nozzle clean from the Printer Maintenance options - https://ij.manual.canon/ij/webmanual/PrinterDriver/W/G1000 series/1.0/EN/PPG/dg-c_cleaning.html

See if it helps

Based on images, I see it could be due to clogged nozzles - would it be possible to run the nozzle clean from the Printer Maintenance options - https://ij.manual.canon/ij/webmanual/PrinterDriver/W/G1000 series/1.0/EN/PPG/dg-c_cleaning.html

See if it helps
Have tried all those cleaning methods but besides ink level getting shrunk down it didn't help.

About the video, haven't done it this way but check this print pattern, there are white lines/missing patterns for Black color. The other colors are fine but are fading out.

On this basis my friend said that cartridges (which are printheads as per dubaria) needs replacement.

Have tried all those cleaning levels but besides ink level getting shrunk down it didn't help.

About the video, haven't done it this way but check this print pattern
if its the case, you will have to decide if you need visit by someone who can see it and diagnose it or go by Anand's word and proceed to order.

if its the case, you will have to decide if you need visit by someone who can see it and diagnose it or go by Anand's word and proceed to order.
I would have ordered the printheads from dubaria if they were selling the original one's. They are selling compatible one's with their own branding https://dubaria.shop/products/dubar...000-printer-combo?_pos=3&_sid=d8cbb4e57&_ss=r
@tech.monk
Got quotes for the printheads from local dealers, one quoted 5500 and the other 6000. There is no mrp mentioned on the box because as per them the printheads are supplied only to the service center by the company. Sometimes they, service center and the dealer, get a little creative and take it out from sealed printer boxes and then tell the company later on that the printheads were missing in the box.

Had a word with Anand from Dubaria, he also said that the canon printheads when available will come without the mrp mentioned on the box.
Ltonline store seems to be selling them at a lesser rate and the photos on their site also doesn't seem to have mrp mentioned anywhere.

Canon customer support has no idea about the mrp.

Out of dubaria and ltonline store which is more reliable? And do banks provide chargeback if these not so known websites like these don't deliver products or if the delivered products are not authentic? + @bssunilreddy

Last edited:
Any recommended seller?
I don't remember a specific seller. Generally the Amazon's choice listing is good enough.

I instinctively thought about CTC which is the Nehru Place of Hyderabad or the place where you can find all types of IT and computer related stores. Anyways, there are people who can modify your used cartridge.

The easiest mod is to attach an ink tank to the cartridge by using plastic tubing and nozzles. The ink refill costs much less than a new cartridge (the print quality is equivalent) and you can buy a much larger quantity of it so overall you can print a whole lot of pages for cheap. (Watch this Youtube video as demo of what I'm talking about)

As I've already mentioned this may not be for everyone but it's an option worth considering if you intend to print lots of pages but don't want to spend a whole lot of money on ink refills

Original cartridges are a scam. That cleaning routine itself is a scam. Just buy refillable cartridges from alibaba for the model and buy bottles of dye based ink. Dye based inks never clog and pigment based inks clog. To tell simply, dye based inks look translucent in the bottle where as pigment based inks look opaque. You could buy industry standard quality inks from companies like https://splashjet-ink.com/ they can literally send you liter bottles and probably 200ml would out last the life of the printer. **** hp inks. Refillable cartridges usually look like https://www.ebay.com/itm/4030950580...1291&msclkid=72d2795a3eb41942f71f18b5be1e79d2

I don't remember a specific seller. Generally the Amazon's choice listing is good enough.

I instinctively thought about CTC which is the Nehru Place of Hyderabad or the place where you can find all types of IT and computer related stores. Anyways, there are people who can modify your used cartridge.

The easiest mod is to attach an ink tank to the cartridge by using plastic tubing and nozzles. The ink refill costs much less than a new cartridge (the print quality is equivalent) and you can buy a much larger quantity of it so overall you can print a whole lot of pages for cheap. (Watch this Youtube video as demo of what I'm talking about)

As I've already mentioned this may not be for everyone but it's an option worth considering if you intend to print lots of pages but don't want to spend a whole lot of money on ink refills
Thanks sir. CISS is really cool, never heard about it till now.

Few questions-

- This is the printer https://in.canon/en/support/PIXMA G1000/model now it has separate ink tanks+black and colored cartridges/printheads. Now as per this link https://www.comboink.com/blog/advantages-of-using-continuous-ink-systems/ check the criteria portion
  • The printer must have a completely separate cartridge for every color.
  • The print head must also be separate from the printer cartridge.
  • The printer must not make use of the most recent technology in chip design.

Can CISS be installed on this printer? In the video that you have posted, the guy seems to be doing it in a printer with no inktank.

- If the answer is no then as I mentioned earlier it seems that there are few types of cartridges/printheads available for the G1000/2000 series, original which comes in a canon box with mrp, cartridges/printheads taken out from a printer box which is packed in a white box and which says retail unit not for sale and the last one's are the compatible. The first one are hard to find. The second one are available but people are selling it like 2x-4x the price of the original one and the last one's are easily available. Will the printer be harmed if the compatible one's are used? Can the same be repaired/refilled or rectified? What exactly is a cartridge/printhead supposed to do in a G1000 and 2000? I mean ink comes from ink tank so what is the use of a cartridge/printhead?

Same goes for the ink bottles which are used in this printer. The set for the original one costs around 2.5k. Compatible one within 1.5-1.8k. Again will the printer be harmed if the compatible one's are used? + @booo
Original cartridges are a scam. That cleaning routine itself is a scam. Just buy refillable cartridges from alibaba for the model and buy bottles of dye based ink. Dye based inks never clog and pigment based inks clog. To tell simply, dye based inks look translucent in the bottle where as pigment based inks look opaque. You could buy industry standard quality inks from companies like https://splashjet-ink.com/ they can literally send you liter bottles and probably 200ml would out last the life of the printer. **** hp inks. Refillable cartridges usually look like https://www.ebay.com/itm/403095058028?chn=ps&_trkparms=ispr=1&amdata=enc:1ctvkoSMwSkaFSRDj8xsbIA32&norover=1&mkevt=1&mkrid=711-213727-13078-0&mkcid=2&itemid=403095058028&targetid=4580702891777581&device=m&mktype=&googleloc=&poi=&campaignid=418640321&mkgroupid=1233652283797640&rlsatarget=pla-4580702891777581&abcId=9300602&merchantid=51291&msclkid=72d2795a3eb41942f71f18b5be1e79d2
Thanks. Why are original cartridges a scam? I agree the cleaning routine is just a waste of ink.
Sir the model for which I want this is a Canon G1000 and 2000. Both of these have separate ink tanks+black and colored cartridges/printheads. Tagging you in the reply that I posted above.
Will enquire about the ink from Splashjet. Any idea from where to get the cartrdiges/printheads for these models? Can the same be repaired/refilled or rectified? What exactly is a cartridge/printhead supposed to do in a G1000 and 2000? I mean ink comes from ink tank so what is the use of a cartridge/printhead?

Edit- Found this site also https://printerpoint.co.in/ >>>>>>>> Most arrogant individuals I have ever come across in my life. Please avoid.

Last edited:
@becool773 I do not mod printers for a living so I don't have any idea about any of your questions. Best thing you can do is go to a person who does this for a living and ask them for a recommendation. Also I cannot answer about OEM ink v/s compatible ink but in most of the cases it shouldn't actively harm your printer in anyway.

So this Canon PIXMA G1000 is an ink tank

People on this board with ink tank printers told me that occasional printing with an ink tank was ok whereas it is NOT with a typical ink jet that needs to be run at least once a week or the heads get clogged.

OP's problem is clogged heads because of occasional printing. You see the printer runs a periodic maintenance service where it flushes ink through the heads when it is left unused for an extended period. But it needs to be plugged in and there are some people who object to this self-clean mode thinking of it as waste. It is not waste. If you want your ink tank to work with unclogged print heads then that is the price you pay.

This is the main reason i went with a laser printer. BW though as colour ones are not available at the right price in India unlike in other markets.

Last edited:
Back