Changing my Car...Need feedback & Comments

ReNaGAde

Adept
Aug 22, 2006
Get a Swift Zxi, for 5,35,000 + Free flow exhaust + K&n Performance air filter or typhoon kit , (It already comes shod with tubeles rubber) . Doing this you'll get a good 10-15 bhp performance upgrade , combined with the less overall weight, Youv'e got a pocket rocket to plug around town!!

Just a suggestion from a car nut. :p

thexfactor

Insanely Awesome!!
Skilled
Mar 31, 2006
IMO opinion the best handling car in that segment is the Ford Fiesta, if you want the most powerful and yet save on fuel costs nothing beats the Verna CRDi, the City VTEC is awesome but over your budget, also consider the Optra it's got nice ride quality (since you are coming fom a corsa) stay away from a second hand Skoda, it's known to have high maintainence costs.

superczar

Skilled
Mar 17, 2005
Stormblast said:
if u consider 2nd hand. how about a 2nd hand skoda

Nopes , no 2nd hand + Skoda spairs are obscenely priced

Get a Swift Zxi, for 5,35,000 + Free flow exhaust + K&n Performance air filter or typhoon kit , (It already comes shod with tubeles rubber) . Doing this you'll get

Sadly, won't have the time for all that man :( + Swifts a lil too common

Harshal said:
Dude, if its going to be 8L or more I would say Honda

Actually, I'd prefer it to be below 8 :ashamed:

I'd rather have the EMI low enuff so as not to make a dent on my cashflows

Which brings me on a side note to the question of how much is a Honda City Exi/Gxi in Delhi or Mumbai on road...

Rather weird, but Chennai has only 1 Honda dealer and that p$ick isn't even willing to give a December discount

thexfactor

Insanely Awesome!!
Skilled
Mar 31, 2006
Why go from a 88bhp Corsa to a 77Bhp City, I know the torque and gear ratios more than make up for it, but I'd still have that feeling at the back of my mind ... anyway your call :)

superczar

Skilled
Mar 17, 2005
^^ Same here....Else it'd have been an easy call...I have driven the city on the highway (that sounds weird BTW :p) and the performance isn't too great or anything but not obscenely bad either...though it still needs a downshift to 4th or even 3rd where the Corsa can manage it in a cog higher...anyway, a fresh test drive would still be worthwhile where I can push it hard unlike the earlier drive

But as of now, the 103bhp Verna and Fiesta 1.6 seem to be the closest choices

Nikhil

Skilled
Mar 29, 2005
www.techenclave.com
Who is the only honda dealer on Chennai ??

And dont see upgrades purely in numerical terms (unlike PC upgrades :p ).... the City has loads more space and refinement.....

I personally thought the Corsa rides better at the back than the Honda City.... My dad refuses to believe me though (he is also a back seat occupant for 90% of the time in the car).

I loved our old Corsa. Somehow, the build quality and everything was so amazing. German build quality rocks. After 2 corsas, this Honda is like a letdown.

It may never break down and give superb mileage. But the build quality of the Germans is unmatched...

According to auto mags, the Fiesta's build quality is also amazing...

thexfactor

Insanely Awesome!!
Skilled
Mar 31, 2006
Naa that was just a publicity stunt with Autocar ... yet it's better than that of the Ikon
Edit : Unless u are talking about higway figures

superczar

Skilled
Mar 17, 2005
Who is the only honda dealer on Chennai ??

And dont see upgrades purely in numerical terms (unlike PC upgrades ).... the City has loads more space and refinement.....

I personally thought the Corsa rides better at the back than the Honda City.... My dad refuses to believe me though (he is also a back seat occupant for 90% of the time in the car).

I loved our old Corsa. Somehow, the build quality and everything was so amazing. German build quality rocks. After 2 corsas, this Honda is like a letdown.

It may never break down and give superb mileage. But the build quality of the Germans is unmatched...

According to auto mags, the Fiesta's build quality is also amazing...

Sundaram Motors is the only Honda dealer here...

Being a virtual monopoly here, and given the steady demand for Hondas, I would not choose the City if for nothing else, the attitude of their only delaer here...They almost make it sound if they were doing you a favor by selling you a car.....

I called em up last afternoon to send a TD car to my office..they took my number and said they'll call back in 10 mins..the call never came...comparing that to the Ford and Hyundai showroom guy responses' , Even if i was willing to push up my byudget to 9L, i would still not choose a VTEC solely coz of the s$$tty dealer Honda has down here....

and yup, buid quality wise, the Corsa is amazing...after 3.5 yrs and 45000 kms on all sorts of roads, the car still feels rock solid with absolutely no rattles...

Vij

Skilled
May 22, 2006
I would say get a better but slightly old second hand...
Whats the harm in going for a perfect condition 6 month old car...As good as new...

From your choices its the City that looks best...and opt for the Vtec if u can...Rest dont appeal to me....and please not the Baleno...not now atleast...and I just dont like the skoda...anything under the Laura doesnt cut it...
Also a year old well maintained corolla H2 may sell for around 8.75L...

I like the idea of buying 2-10 month old good cars....Really makes smart buy when u r on a lighter budget...

Edit: Mised your last post.

Darklord

Skilled
Jan 28, 2005
Well Dont even think about the Skoda,its an excellent car to drive. After i got the K&N on Harshal's insistence,i experienced boost in performance and FE.

I get around 16-17 Kmpl overall.
But trust me, the spares cost an arm n leg,seriously,not kidding.

Whatever you do, routine periodical service will set you back by a min 8-10k.Thats my personal gurantee:p

So overall,excellent car to drive,its quick but then the driver is the only person who is comfortable in the car, all other seats are pretty cramped.

About your new car, get the Verna dude,even though it goes above your budget,you will make it up with good mileage added with lower Diesel costs.

Trust me,get the Verna CRdi also the service is good,thats what i heard.

We were also thinking of getting it but financial situation has postponed the purchase.:(

I dont think getting a Petrol car makes sense if you are gonna do lot of long journeys. ;)

superczar

Skilled
Mar 17, 2005
the verna indeed seems appealing...

my usage is 20K an year on average so petrol vs diesel isn't a make or break point, nevertheless, am gng to ask the hyundai guys to get the diesel verna for a td to see how the 110 horses hold up......wwhether they are thoroughbred or anaemic ones :p

Vij, i have some sort of a mental hangup with used cars...you never know for sure what the past istory of the car is...i'd consider used if this vehicle was meant only for city usage but i wouldn't want to take a chance on highways with a used one

Nikhil

Skilled
Mar 29, 2005
www.techenclave.com
I asked you abt the Honda dealer because I was afraid it was Sundaram :p

If it is Sundaram, stay away !! Please !! It is better if you come to Bangalore and buy a Honda instead of Sundaram.

They are Merc dealers too in Bangalore and by god they suck !!

A person my dad knows ordered a C class in manual transmission. He was very particular on a manual. When he got a call saying car was ready, he went and saw it was an automatic.

The guys at Sundaram didnt even tell him that Merc doesnt have any manual trannies in India. They just wanted his sale.

And my dad also tells me that Sundaram who were the market leaders when it came to service a few years back have deteriorated badly.

And as of now, your choices in the present scenario is the Fiesta 1.6 and Verna (CRDI is my suggestion).

If you want to wait, then SX4 which will come as the new Baleno.

superczar

Skilled
Mar 17, 2005
If you want to wait, then SX4 which will come as the new Baleno.

I too heard the SX4 is on its way..when is the question...

And yes, buying from Sundaram is out ...totally!

Anish

Skilled
May 9, 2005
Goa, India.
www.anishsood.com
^ Drove the Verna CRDi just when it released and the performance is mind-blowing. It reportedly churns out a 16kmpl figure too..

The interiors are well done out and its definately a great product, expect for the slightly odd looks though..