Char sau ka dena, haan four hundred ka.

sh@sh!

Adept
Ok this is an incident which has happened to me multiple times but this time in a more shi**y way.

Yesterday I went to fill petrol from an Indian Oil petrol pump between Hebbal and nagwara(Bangalore), I told the guy to fill for 400 rupees clearly for multiple times. This was how the conversation has gone down:

me: Bhaiya char sau ka dena(I still have this habit of buying petrol by quoting money instead of quantity; i guess I'm one of those main pehele bhi sau(100) ka bharata tha aur ab bhi sau(100) ka bharata hu :eek:hyeah:)
he: kitna four hundred ka
me: haan four hundred ka
he: check meter reading zero
me: zero to hai per four hundred ka dena
me: four hundred ka(I f*ing repeated this 3 times but I dint see him reaching for the buttons to set the pump to fill for 400 anyways I thought he must have done it)
he: filled for 100 bucks without even entering anything in the machine.
me(now angry): maine four hundred ka bola tha fir aapne hundred ka kyun dala.
he: sorry sir mujhe laga you were asking for hundred. (I was like what on earth, after telling him more than 5 times in two different languages, he still misunderstood me)
me(while taking out my card): yaar tum behere to nahi dikhte, mujhe ******* samjhte ho..[On hearing this a guy behind me asked, what happened; I told him what had happened and told him to not to take petrol from this bunk, he immediately left]
he: Sir shall i put the remaining 300 rupees petrol now.
me: leave it, I don't want to buy anymore.

Guys this is not the first time this has happened to me. Had been to multiple pumps and experienced the same thing, this had happened with my dad too multiple times.I have also observed that this practice is used by mostly Indian oil pump guys(Personal view).

Now what I'm not understanding is, why do they do it?? what is the point of filling for 100 first and the remaining amount later:S(Unless they are deaf really or retarded; which is hardly the case as they count money very well.:))

I know which petrol bunk this is. It next to Manyata Tech Park. They pull this trick on most of them. Its not just this petrol bunk, i have experienced this in almost all bunks except for Shell.

Here is how it works.
I ask him to fill petrol for my car for Rs.1000. As you said i repeat it many times.
He fills for Rs.200 and tells he is done.
I tell him i asked for Rs 1000
He then starts rambling that he heard it was Rs 200 and then just waves his hand over the rest counter and doesnt reset it
He is still talking to you about how he heard it was Rs 200.
If you notice the counter is not reset to 0, he will say he missed it and fill petrol until the counter reaches Rs.1000
If you dont notice it he will fill until the counter reaches Rs.800 (200 + 600). He saves Rs 200 worth of fuel.

The first time this happend to me i figured out something was fishy. I always fill petrol for Rs.1000. So i know what reading i would get on the fuel gauge. It was less. I told him he had cheated me. He got his fellow filling guys and started arguing. I just went in and spoke to the guy, told him i would tell everyone of my colleagues in Manyata about this and sue him. He agreed instantly to put Rs200 worth of fuel.

^^ Dont tell u u dont know this trick being in Bangalore for so long. Its an age age old trick being done over and over. Here is it how it works :

You ask for 1000 bucks of petrol :

Fill 300 and guy stops :

You scold the guy and one more guy from pump asks what happend :

You tell and the main guy starts refilling from 300 to 700 !

once u see its 700 u again scold the guy !

the guy says What Saaaaar

300 filled .... + now 700 filled .....saaar 1000 done :p

U go back happy :D

Finally u realize u r dupped of 300 bucks ....priceless :mad:

Still can't believe that you are not ware of this...seriously you are living under a rock

Actually they have a lot of tricks... Here in Mumbai I came across a petrol pump in which the following trick was done to fool people... I went and asked him to fill rs.200/- petrol.. And I was busy in opening the lid of my bikes petrol tank. After that I shaked my bike and according to daily practice I knew almost half litre petrol was in the tank. By the time I was looking at my tank, that person inserted the petrol pipe in my bikes tank (Take my prior statement in a good way guys ;) ) and started filling it.. Just in a sec I saw the reading on his meter to be Rs.193 and on.. I was stunned.. I usually fillup petrol on the same petrol pump after every 3 days. And had never seen such fast filling of petrol... I had a doubt that the person had started from a number which was filled for the biker who came and filled petrol just before me.. I asked that pump wala to stop fooling me and fill pura 200/- petrol... He insisted that he had filled 200/- petrol. I said OK... But I warned him, if my bike gets to reserve again tomorrow then it means you have filled 100/- or less than 100/- petrol... He stills aid that he had filled rs.200/- petrol... Then the next day in morning itself my bike came on reserve petrol.... I went straight to that pump, the same person was standing there... As I am a Mumbaikar, I threatened him badly, that guy did some discussion with other members and filled up rs.120/- petrol without asking for any money..... Personally I feel those guys need some beating

Bottomline : Please watch the meter start from ZERO reading while filling petrol.

I guess they do this because a lot of people don't notice what the guy is doing. If the customer is on the phone or is otherwise distracted, they will pocket the Rs 300 difference.

I think that is why I notice that this is done a lot in petrol bunks that are on the highway. If this was done regularly in the city, the customers would catch on and complain or stop visiting the petro bunk.

Why not ask for the printed receipt?
The ones which are printed from the pump itself.
By this way the machine does not continue and the next refill starts from zero.

As years have come to pass bangalore has become even worse... i had never heard of such things in my childhood. karnatakans are by nature soft and good-willed... what changed god knows... now its a city filled with cut throats and thieves... Even i cant help feel disgusted sometimes...
Bangalore has lost its charm..

Why not ask for the printed receipt?

The ones which are printed from the pump itself.

By this way the machine does not continue and the next refill starts from zero.

So now we have to tell the bunk wals to get those vending pumps with printer installed ! They will tell "Bharana hai to Baharo nahi to age baro "

Lol those pump with printers r usually a sight only at Shell and some company owned BPs and IOCs. They wont even form 2% of all the pumps. I am sure in Mumbai also not even 10% pumps will have the machines with inbuilt printers :p

Also saar in Bangalore even if u tell 1000 they will fill manually set to 0 and start filling...no set to 1000 and put it in and go ! Only 10-15% of the bunks will do that. Rest will keep holding manually and as soon as it reaches 990 he slows down and on 999.90 he will withdaw in a second. If u dont like you can go off to next bunk :p and if you threaten much they might shatter ur glasses with the help of nearby autowalla who will get a Rs 50 commission :D

there are 2 petrol pumps from Bomannahalli to Silk board junction and both apply the same trick. when you go there to fill up one guy will come to you and start talking to you about some card if you are not paying attention the guy filling the petrol will stop and reset the counter and you will be left with no option but to pay up :(

chiragsthakur said:
Actually they have a lot of tricks... Here in Mumbai I came across a petrol pump in which the following trick was done to fool people... I went and asked him to fill rs.200/- petrol.. And I was busy in opening the lid of my bikes petrol tank. After that I shaked my bike and according to daily practice I knew almost half litre petrol was in the tank. By the time I was looking at my tank, that person inserted the petrol pipe in my bikes tank (Take my prior statement in a good way guys ;) ) and started filling it.. Just in a sec I saw the reading on his meter to be Rs.193 and on.. I was stunned.. I usually fillup petrol on the same petrol pump after every 3 days. And had never seen such fast filling of petrol... I had a doubt that the person had started from a number which was filled for the biker who came and filled petrol just before me.. I asked that pump wala to stop fooling me and fill pura 200/- petrol... He insisted that he had filled 200/- petrol. I said OK... But I warned him, if my bike gets to reserve again tomorrow then it means you have filled 100/- or less than 100/- petrol... He stills aid that he had filled rs.200/- petrol... Then the next day in morning itself my bike came on reserve petrol.... I went straight to that pump, the same person was standing there... As I am a Mumbaikar, I threatened him badly, that guy did some discussion with other members and filled up rs.120/- petrol without asking for any money..... Personally I feel those guys need some beating

Bottomline : Please watch the meter start from ZERO reading while filling petrol.

Which pump was this from?

--- Updated Post - Automerged ---

rishabh.asthana said:
there are 2 petrol pumps from Bomannahalli to Silk board junction and both apply the same trick. when you go there to fill up one guy will come to you and start talking to you about some card if you are not paying attention the guy filling the petrol will stop and reset the counter and you will be left with no option but to pay up :(

Have noticed this, its not just the cardwalla but the guy who comes to wipe the glass who distracts you,but have not seen any less petrol being filled.

Damn these guys!! I usually buy from same place to avoid this but it's a shame really. Baskets cheating when the prices are soaring high :mad:

One more thing guys, most of the filling machines have this digital controller kinda thing where the operator enters the amount or volume prior filling. Make double sure that he punches either of the value. In my case he dint do it, he simply half pressed the pipe's lever to make it go 100. I think he dint even fill for 100.:(

^^ Thats what...no putting value in machine...he will fill by the lever...if you are not fine...he will shoo u away and you can go to hell :p

chiragsthakur said:

Similar thing happened to me 2 times where before you even realize, they've started filling petrol and they start from the reading of the previous customer. Be very careful while filling fuel, don't take your vision away from the meter from 0 to the amount you asked for even if someone comes to distract you.

Also better to do tank full of fuel each time you visit so as to minimize the number of times you refuel and thus minimize any losses due to such malpractices.

There are may tricks.

When the rates are going high.On that day only normal petrol gets empty but premium is always available.ANd its the premium pipe through which they fill but under any normal day premium filling ratio is 3 car out of 10.So stock of premium should be less.But when rates are going high only that day premium is available.In short normal petrol is passed as premium.

Also these day i have seen a scratch repair product guy keeps standing at petrol pump.ANd once petrol filling starts he starts argument.How badly car is scratch and all shit and at same time the petrol attendant fill the petrol and ask for payment immediately and at same time the scratch repair guy without our courtesy starts playing with scratch on car as if he is trying to stick his product.Once get busy there and you get screw here.

I make it a point how long the line be.I make sure when i am filling petrol i am out of car and i wont accept any stuff even fire in my car untill the attendant provides me with a bill in hand (which is usually done after all job done).Than let the petrol station blast.

Let the other car make noise.If they keep barking i say even my car have horns there is no need to prove you are the biggest idiot on earth.

arun687 said:
don't take your vision away from the meter from 0 to the amount you asked for even if someone comes to distract you.

+1

This is what you have to do. I know sometimes we get lazy but I ALWAYS make a effort to get out of the vehicle & make sure guy does not do anything stupid. If someone comes to talk, I don't reply:p eyes are always on meter

slightly inconvenient but its my our own hard earned money;)

Almost all petrol bunks use such tricks, that is why i always fillup at shell petrol bunk near my place.

Like OP, same happened with me also. When I argued, all those bunkwalas gathered started against me, couldn't do anything :(

What ive experienced is that its always better to get out of the car and then start fueling your cars.
Reasons:-
1.You can properly check the meter reading
2.while filling in the gasoline i've heard that once the meter gains momentum,these people hold the barrel in between while the meter still keeps on burning the hole in your pocket.This way the save around 100-150 rs worth of petrol.
3.You make it loud and clear to what you want.

Also what the Op mentioned is an age old trick that these station people have been doing since ages.I remember this was a customary practice at Reliance Stations(closed now).

Back