Char sau ka dena, haan four hundred ka.

RS4 said:
Almost all petrol bunks use such tricks, that is why i always fillup at shell petrol bunk near my place.

Heard a lot about shell petrol but haven't seen any in Navi Mumbai. Would love to use them, are there any here?

arun687 said:
Heard a lot about shell petrol but haven't seen any in Navi Mumbai. Would love to use them, are there any here?

Bangalore has the highest number of shell petrol bunks in india, dont know the reason for it :S Here is the shell petrol station locator,it shows one station in navi mumbai: Shell Station Locator - India

Have not faced these type of issues in gurgaon till now. but thanks for the awareness, we all might be more careful about the cheaters

the thing i do is my car has key lock. so i open the lock to fill diesel in it. by that means i have to get down of the car.

so zero always starts in front of me.

btw the one petrol pump in borivali is highly recommended(ganjawala one). they dont involve in such tricks but the one along the highway they want you to get distracted.

by asking things like how will you pay? by cash or card. we accept card too.

other thing i do is fill very less amount and ( in 200-400) sometimes odd figures.

this way the person filling has to enter the amount to get the right amount of fuel in the tank.

I have seen some thing similar in Noida (sector 62, Indian oil), If the meter is already on 50, and you ask for 100/200, they'll quickly fill it without showing zero. Once we filled for 100, and he was about to apply the trick on next guy, when we shouted, CHECK THE ZERO. The look on his face was worth the shouting.

Philosophy is simple, I know they cheat; so I make noise when ever I found them cheating ANYONE, ALWAYS.

Few bunks I regularly visited in South Bangalore, always show zero.(BPCL on BG road and ICO at JP Nagar)

Another trick which my friend uses is to fill up the tank full, one time he went to fill his pulsar tank full and the meter showed 20liters when it was filled!!! The filling guy was cornered. My friend parked his bike on petrol bunk and took that filling guy to the supervisor. It was all sorry and blaming on machines after that.:D

Even I have not seen this trick in Delhi and nearby areas. Maybe the stakes are high there, even at a small hint of this malpractice and people will quickly call the filling guy in a 'cona' (corner) :p [j/k]

Luckily the two petrol pumps I visit regularly here in Surat, are better in sense and service.

They always reset the meter to zero preset the parameter and ask you to confirm zero before starting the fuelling.

As presetting the parameter requires the nozel to be in pump so less chances of getting cheated.

Regarding printed slips from vending machines only shell and BP have that here in surat that too in total 4/5 pumps.

Only a few petrol pumps here resort to tricks or swindling, I find many pumps in Ahmedabad use those digital petrol meters. The attendant keys in a value and the petrol is dispensed and the meter resets once done. I use a petrol pump @ CG Road that's always been spot on. Strange to see stuff like this happening elsewhere.

^^ most of the pumps in bangalore also have this option but these pumping guys distract you and without punching any numbers in the machine, start pumping. In automatic machines, you will see that the pump guy will insert the nozzle in your tank and leave the clutch ON but those old and shoddy ones won't do it, they will keep holding it or worst(Like in my case) dribble with the clutch. :(

Yes, in my place BP (Pure-to-Sure) pump if you not looking or busy opening the lid, they point out meter stating zero, once you confirm they insert the nozzle in your vehicles start fueling.

If you want to specific Rs/- of fuel at first the attended punch the number at keypad,then pull the nozzle from the hanger,once he did meter reset to zero value, then they put their watch (some kind of cheap attached to it) in front of some senser and the machine ready to pump the fuel.

I stick to Shell for this reason - they always ask you to check and verify zero before proceeding. And I don't have the habit of opening my bike fuel lid without verifying zero - always check the meter first and then open the lid :p

Sent from my MAtrix using T'talk Pro

As all the Delhi'ites quoted, every petrol pump here confirms zero before starting to fill the petrol. Once I was talking on my phone while getting the petrol filled and the guy waited for me to end the call, asked to confirm zero and then started to fill the petrol!

I never heard about such tricks on the bunks but I'd definitely be more cautious from now on. :)

I have seen this happen multiple times to me in Delhi. It gets worse for me as I usually do a full tank. First time I didn't realise they pulled a fast one on me. Second time I was almost sure. Third time I caught them red handed. They were like 'oops!'. They have been careful with me after that.

i have only been conned once at a petrol pump and that happened in Mangalore, my native at the highway were filling fuel and the car had like 20% fuel, i told him to make it full, the pump auto stopped on which he pulled out the pipe n started teething ths nozzle of the pipe so as to add petrol little by little , he added about 800 rs of petrol like this, i was talking to my friends and didnt realise, only until i reached home did i realise i paid so much and i already had decent amount of petrol inside.

Back