Cheap, Ultrafast Broadband? Hong Kong Has It

Gaurish

ex-Mod
1Gbps unlimited internet for $26USD or Rs1,175/- per month only:hap2:

HONG KONG residents can enjoy astoundingly fast broadband at an astoundingly low price. It became available last year, when a scrappy company called Hong Kong Broadband Network introduced a new option for its fiber-to-the-home service: a speed of 1,000 megabits a second — known as a “gig” — for less than $26 a month.

One thing working in Hong Kong’s favor, of course, is its greater population density, enabling broadband companies to reach multiuser dwellings at a much lower cost. But density is only part of the explanation. The personality of Hong Kong Broadband should be noted, too. A wholly owned subsidiary of City Telecom, it is an aggressive newcomer. It was willing to suffer seven years of losses while building out its fiber network before it turned profitable.

Hong Kong Broadband’s principal competitor is an older company, PCCW, which has several other lines of business, including phone, television and mobile. PCCW also offers gigabit service to the home and benefits from the same population density. But PCCW’s price is more than twice as much as Hong Kong Broadband’s. Despite its low prices, Hong Kong Broadband now operates in the black.

source

Question is:

Why can't we have better broadband in India?:ashamed:

cause india is huuuge in area (compared to HK) and there are many obstacles too like lack of infrastructure, money, too much greed, etc.
let the population undergo a mindset change so that they work for betterment of country as a whole and not just their companies bank balance and the difference will be evident in a decade.

On the other hand even Australia does not have a gigabit broadband even though they are considered a developed country. Neither does usa, britain, france. why? :bleh:

Their is no obstacles except greed and corruption

All infrastructure is in place

BSNL has launched WIMAX with 750 as rental with 512 kbps

Isnt that laughable

Comparing with US is incorrect but Sprint is giving free WIMAX with any EVDO connection

Even BSNL started EVDO with 2.5 Mbps

Why cant they give good WIMAX

Will they give when Mr Ambani launches his BWA services ?

As INDIA says " It Never Develops In Anything" ... I guess we have wake up like Anna and stop this corrupted people who is not allowing india to develop at all ... Jago !!!!

there isn't lack of interested organizations who'd like to start something but they don't because of shitty policies and the corruption here..

money isn't a problem.

for example, that guy, mgcarley of hayai broadband has been working from the past 2-3 yrs but hasn't quiet made his way because of the obstacles present at every step of the whole process..

interest is there, money is there, consumers are there who are pissed off at present but the government official and policies are the enemy.

Unfortunately India will not get these kind of broadband infrastructure seen in other countries. Why? Demand - While there are us who likes to see this kind of infrastructure, it is only a minority compared to India's population of billion people. There are people in cities and suburbs who cannot even afford internet let alone a computer. Look at Hong Kong or any other developed countries in this case and you will see that the gap between people who can afford these services to those who doesn't is less. Knowledge is also the other important reason. So I feel telecommunication companies are getting away with this.

Also I agree with all other points mentioned here. We do have resources and money so implementing it in the next 5 years is not impossible.

U guys look at at HongKong and blame corruption in India for not having Internet connections @ 1Gbps, guys we have far more important problems than increasing the broadband speed for the middle class's and upper middle class's sake, look at how much our country has gone forward in terms of connection speeds or infrastructure or whatever you look at...U may feel we are going slow, but for gods sake remember we are a democracy and not some Territory of Peoples Republic of China where even Google feels its hard to live with restrictions imposed...Be gratefull to what we achieved under the magtitude of problems we faced....U can sure be mad at the governments and corruption but be gratefull to rights and liberties we enjoy,, it is not like everywhere else in the world has every right we enjoy and they still have less problems with it...When world say India is the largest democracy they dont say it to make us feel good, it is because we earned it,, n there are problems that come with it along with the good things....... Dont be under the illusion somebody can fix these problems just as easily as sitting at ur home and making a forum post... if you are so worried at the direction our country is taking , do something abt it rather than sitting at home and declare i am living in a country full of shit.... i'm sorry if any of you disagree with me, but just felt this is something i needed to post here....

There will never be cheap & fast broadband in India(2-4 mbps isn't even called fast broadband), atleast not in Delhi unless Hayai or Beam Fibre lands to Delhi. That won't happen before 2050 though

It's laughable to compare Hong Kong and India. Please try not to believe everything the Indian media says - India is woefully behind China; and hong kong is a 1st world subset of china.

Even in the USA internet isn't as cheap.

In India it's not really corruption holding back internet speeds - it's almost entirely the government's short sighted policies keeping prices high. But then again the demand for high quality+speed internet here is virtually non-existent.

U guys look at at Hong Kong and blame corruption in India for not having Internet connections @ 1Gbps, guys we have far more important problems than increasing the broadband speed for the middle class's and upper middle class's sake, look at how much our country has gone forward in terms of connection speeds or infrastructure or whatever you look at...U may feel we are going slow, but for gods sake remember we are a democracy and not some Territory of Peoples Republic of China where even Google feels its hard to live with restrictions imposed...Be grateful to what we achieved under the magnitude of problems we faced....U can sure be mad at the governments and corruption but be grateful to rights and liberties we enjoy,, it is not like everywhere else in the world has every right we enjoy and they still have less problems with it...When world say India is the largest democracy they don't say it to make us feel good, it is because we earned it,, n there are problems that come with it along with the good things....... Don't be under the illusion somebody can fix these problems just as easily as sitting at Ur home and making a forum post... if you are so worried at the direction our country is taking , do something about it rather than sitting at home and declare i am living in a country full of shit.... I'm sorry if any of you disagree with me, but just felt this is something i needed to post here....
I totally agree with you Mr cool . We should be proud what we have and we are going ahead in every in every field even in population;). I am sure in coming years the speed will go up hope the down load fever may be gone too :D by that time be proud of our country .

Back