Android Cheapest 5G phone to use as hotspot?

and an emergency backup phone
Back up 5G hotspot phone
I was using Samsung Note 10 Plus from Sept 2019 . Never felt the reason to upgrade with this workhorse.
My location had major 4G network issues but good 5G .I took decision to buy a cheap 5G phone & use as a hotspot. This was cheapest with 5K additional exchange offer so got for 10.5k . Purchased on 26 Jun 23 .

Now picked up S23 Ultra in Nov now from Australia. Got a damn good deal so upgraded otherwise I was loving it

This flagship was so good that got a new battery from Samsung service centre & gave it to my daughter who's rocking it up with Good lock app

Looks like even Samsung has this `Bypass Charging` feature:

Why the heck it gets locked to game mode/game apps only is beyond me and none of the phones in that list are in the sub 10k range, so that leaves me with Techno right now

Back up 5G hotspot phone
I was using Samsung Note 10 Plus from Sept 2019 . Never felt the reason to upgrade with this workhorse.
My location had major 4G network issues but good 5G .I took decision to buy a cheap 5G phone & use as a hotspot. This was cheapest with 5K additional exchange offer so got for 10.5k . Purchased on 26 Jun 23 .

Now picked up S23 Ultra in Nov now from Australia. Got a damn good deal so upgraded otherwise I was loving it

This flagship was so good that got a new battery from Samsung service centre & gave it to my daughter who's rocking it up with Good lock app
  1. Any handset that bought Before June 2020 are 99.99% enjoy good quality hardware.
  2. Your New (2023 Purchased) Samsung S23 Ultra made in which country?
  3. Battery change for Samsung Note 10 Plus in 2023, if possible keep update how it works in coming months

1. Any handset that bought Before June 2020 are 99.99% enjoy good quality hardware.
  2. Your New (2023 Purchased) Samsung S23 Ultra made in which country?
  3. Battery change for Samsung Note 10 Plus in 2023, if possible keep update how it works in coming months
1. Service center guys told same , best hardware and its not made like this now . Use it till you can was their advice
2. Vietnam but will confirm
3. New battery but service center told - Dont expect same battery as battery is also old + capacitors have lost charge and consume more battery as time passes

Edit - Another thing
Seeing my new device they recommended insurance for 10k . I told them to check IMEI and as per them it was an Indian device , they didnt ask anything
Presumably you can claim subsidized insurance in first 2 days of purchase . The new device was activated or connected with SIM or internet in India only
Atleast for S23U SM-S918B its exact same hardware worldwide

Last edited:
so what 5G handset op bought to use as hotspot/tethering
I've been running a Huawei 4G CPE as a backup connection but would like to explore using 5G. However, I couldn't find any 5G CPE available within India and even those available in other countries cost a lot more (around 20 to 25K?) which is just too much, not to mention customs is a pain... not worth the hassle.

I'd like to try using a 5G phone as a hotspot, probably via the usb OTG and get ethernet through it. I hear latest Androids can all do that, but what about power and keeping it topped up?

(note: I know we can do usb tethering, and I do have a router that can accept it but I'd like to run ethernet so that I can place the mobile as open to the outside as possible to get the most out of 5G since placing it indoor is probably not going to be speedy)

Which 5G phone is the cheapest, that supports all the bands currently available here? Budget is probably as cheap as possible; will also need to buy the OTG dongle and figure out how to charge. Any help is appreciated!

While we are at it, how much difference does 5G has over 4G in terms of the heat and battery issue?
I used my Moto G5+ for hotspot almost everyday for 2-3 years and didn't face any battery damage issue except for the charging part. Since you guys mentioned the side-effects I thought I'd ask.
And as for 5G itself I doubt that I'll be upgrading unless it's forced or there's a really good offer like Jio 4G when it was launched. 4G plans are already costly the way they are. Average ₹200/month for 1GB/day network operators wide.

I used my Moto G5+ for hotspot almost everyday for 2-3 years and didn't face any battery damage issue except for the charging part.
how much hours in a day are you using Moto G5+ for HotSpot?
using hotspot Continuous or interment with breaks?
If using with breaks how much time gap between 2 use?

In 2003-2004 was using GPRS constantly connected with Motorola handset for a year and battery gave up/bulge.

how much hours in a day are you using Moto G5+ for HotSpot?
using hotspot Continuous or interment with breaks?
If using with breaks how much time gap between 2 use?

In 2003-2004 was using GPRS constantly connected with Motorola handset for a year and battery gave up/bulge.
Almost continuous. Twice a day. Morning for some office work. 10AM to 3-4 PM. Hotspot almost never leaves as I need to download files and media and at night when I want to play online games or download things from 6-7PM till 12AM-1AM.
This was pre-covid days. I bought the phone just after its launch. Only reason why I'm not using my G5+ is because latest version of WhatsApp is not supported anymore and the charging port gave out.
In my opinion the G5+ might be the last good phone from Lenovo's Moto before it's resurgence last year.

Back