Cheapest way to keep BSNL mobile active?

My 2nd number is on Vodafone and only use it for security-related OTP/AUTHENTICATIONS.

Only require access to Incoming/Outgoing Calls and the same for the SMS facility.
I am from Mumbai, what would be an ideal and trusted solution for cheap here? (if service is down, i am stuck)
I am ending up paying 200 approximately per month for Vodafone which includes data as well.
MTNL. 180 rs per year.

in 2023, the best way is to recharge @107inr u get 180mins and 35 days validity.
earlier the same plan was for 60 days, then 50,40 and now finally 35 days.
in the next couple of months it will probably go down to 28 days.
I am currently recharging the same for my mon and nani. Is there a plan which provides longer validity? So i don't have to keep recharging every 35 days?

I am currently recharging the same for my mon and nani. Is there a plan which provides longer validity? So i don't have to keep recharging every 35 days?
It is not the cheapest but I recharge for Rs.397 plan with 150 days validity along with Rs.220 full talk time top up. My call usage isn't that much and the 220 top up easily comes for more than a year. The top up amount gets carried with base recharges.
So for 300 days, I spend around Rs.1014, which is approximately Rs.50 higher than the plan suggested by @awestorr.

yes, but the 107 will get u around 3hrs talktime with the 35 days validity and also some 3gb or more data, good enough for upi payments (useful in cases where one doesnt use any other sim).

Yep, it definitely can't beat the free minutes with the 107 plan.
If someone is seeking a cheapest way to maintain their BSNL connection without the need for monthly recharges, they can consider the the 397 plan.
It's a trade-off between value and convenience

That is a good idea. Haven’t tried it but I did get a similar message from BSNL when my plan was about to expire.
Your Plan expires on 16-08-2023. If enough balance is available,plan will be renewed on next day by deducting eligible plan cost. Get "BSNL Self care" app from "Play Store" or visit: https://mybsnl.page.link/Home
If we top up and maintain ₹107 balance, at the end of the validity, they will auto recharge.
I will give this a try next time.

1692718887802.png

As received on whatsapp...

Last edited:
If only incoming traffic without expiry is requirement, jio is best bet. I have idle numbers which i havent recharged for may be couple of yrs. Still working fine.
This used to be the case. Initial customers were promised 5 odd years of validity. Not anymore for new customers.

This is what I recall; kindly verify.

It has been some 5-6 months I haven't recharged my bsnl no. and when I switch to that sim, it asked me to recharge for 107.
I tried denominations like 94 97 99 but it kept giving me alerts for 107 minimum so had to do that only.
If only incoming traffic without expiry is requirement, jio is best bet. I have idle numbers which i havent recharged for may be couple of yrs. Still working fine.
Jio is chor at least for me. I didn't recharged for 3 months and boom my no. got disconnected and allocated to someone else. More to that I was receiving customer care calls after 90days as a reminder and same day my network was cut-off!
Jio themselves aren't sure what are their shit policies. For someone, they/their system totally forgets about no. disconnection who doesn't recharge beyond 9-120days or years and for some, when they themselves remind to recharge they instantly cut-of the no. What a shadd game play!

Literally feels like a favoritism.

Another friend who recharged when nearing 90days got his validity extended and all of a sudden in middle he lost his network. CC said no. was already in process of getting allocated to someone. WTF!
Jio is all gambling and habitual.

Never trust Jio you never know when you get robbed by them..

Last edited:
Do you still receive SMS especially OTP ones on those ?
Complete incoming traffic like calls and sms working.
This used to be the case. Initial customers were promised 5 odd years of validity. Not anymore for new customers.

This is what I recall; kindly verify.
I wasn't aware of 5 yr validity for old customers. But imo if sim is kept in mobile, connected to network and receives incoming traffic, there won't be any issue.

If sim or mobile isn't connected to network to receive incoming traffic, its highly likely it will be discontinued.
@nRiTeCh , both your as well as your friends sim was in mobile and receiving incoming traffic once in a while?

And what recharge ur friend had done before completing 90 days?

Don't know if jio have become aggressive and changed their policy in the back end to purge numbers but I had ported my one number to jio in jan 2022 probably with free one month plan. Since then I had not recharged that number at all. Finally recharged it in my be July to re setup UPI as it was attached to banks.

Rather I had ported to jio only to keep that number idle or for incoming traffic without spending anything. As other AH telcos don't even allow incoming sms after a week or 15 days after plan expired.

Last edited:
@nRiTeCh , both your as well as your friends sim was in mobile and receiving incoming traffic once in a while?
Yes. I lost my golden Jio no due to jios fault.
And what recharge ur friend had done before completing 90 days?
Mandatory validity recharge and not a topup.
Don't know if jio have become aggressive and changed their policy in the back end to purge numbers but I had ported my one number to jio in jan 2022 probably with free one month plan. Since then I had not recharged that number at all. Finally recharged it in my be July to re setup UPI as it was attached to banks.
These incidents are from 2022 only.
Rather I had ported to jio only to keep that number idle or for incoming traffic without spending anything. As other AH telcos don't even allow incoming sms after a week or 15 days after plan expired.
Due to JIo exp. I ported my docomo/airtel to BSNL, I dont care about network but at least my golden no. is active and safe is all I can say. I have lost all faith in Jio. Not gonna opt for any of their services even if they are lifetime free.
My uncles bsnl which he literally forgot about for more than years, was still active, he had to recharge for some 247 or so and its still kicking in.

Back