Cheapest wireless router for 10Mbps connection,to connect 2 laptops,1 PS3,1 cell

eggman

Adept
Cheapest wireless router for 10Mbps conn (ACT BB),to connect 2 laptops,1 PS3,1 cell

Hi

I have a 10Mbps broadband wired net that gives connection via a LAN wire.
I would like to have wireless connection in my home , so that I can connect the following using WiFi:

1) 2 Laptops
2) 1 PS3
3) 1 Cell Phone

Area coverage needed is around 400 sq. feet.

1) I would like to have something very easy to setup. I'm a noob to networking, and something plug and play is what I really looking for.
2) My connection ask for a User Id and password every time I plug it into a new device. IT redirects any typed site to their Logon screen. So I assume that after I connect it to the wireless router the first time and access net, it should redirect it to the same logon page and there should not be any issue. Am I right?
3) Really looking for the cheapest and most VFM model. Don't care about looks or size or anything else..
4) (Optional) It should give the option to have a password for the WifI network
5) Although they provide network through optical wire, there is a converter already installed outside my home and the connection to my laptop is through a LAN wire, that shouldn't create any issue I Think.

I have ACT broadband, if it's of any help.
Thanks for looking :):)

Please also let me know. Sorry @eggman i don't want to hi jack but also i don't want to start an unnecessary thread. I hope you don't mind? :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Would suggest to get a dd wrt enabled router if possible. There may be scripts available to auto login to the act network
Also, there is a cheap tp link router also available

Similar stats in my case

Only difference from eggman's case is i am situated in mumbai and i use Hathway internet

i also have to type a login id and password everytime i start my pc

coverage area needed is around 500 sq feet

I won't mind the manual login part at all , as long as the router redirects net to the logon page . I think it should be able to do that.

Would suggest to get a dd wrt enabled router if possible. There may be scripts available to auto login to the act network

Also, there is a cheap tp link router also available

Can you please elaborate in detail regarding this -

I use hathway internet and i also i have to login each time when i start my pc

Suppose i start my wifi router without switching on my pc and i want to use net on my mobile which is not flash supported [ hathway login site is flash enabled ] how do i use net on my phone ?

Kindly give a short review when you use it. Would help for me to choose aswell. :p

Setup: Very Simple.

I just plugged the connection and installed the software that came up with it. Then changed the SSID and password and I was good to go.

Range: The strength is very good in my small 400 sq feet 1BHK. It's full or almost full around every corner of my house. There is no Ping loss or speed loss .

About login : My ISP asks for user id and p/w every time it connects to a new device. So the first time I tried to login using my laptop over wifi, it asked for the same. Once done , logon was no more needed on the other devices(PS3 and the other laptop). I really haven't tried the auto login thing though , although there is an option,

---------- Post added at 12:30 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:28 AM ----------

Suppose i start my wifi router without switching on my pc and i want to use net on my mobile which is not flash supported [ hathway login site is flash enabled ] how do i use net on my phone ?

For this I think auto-login would be the only option. My provider only asks for login details when I connect to a new device, so even if I restart it's not an issue.
Belkin does have auto login feature, but I haven't tried it .

Can you please elaborate in detail regarding this -

I use hathway internet and i also i have to login each time when i start my pc

I dont know much about this. @varkey is the only guy who, afaik, knows all about this.

Last edited by a moderator:
You just need to call startup script while router is started and it will auto login , google it someone would have written the script for your ISP

Back