Check out hayai.in - a potentially revolutionary new ISP

vishalrao

Global Moral Police
Skilled
There is a hot thread on another forum about http://hayai.in/ being promoted by Mathew Carley

It's a budding/aspiring ISP with very good ideas and strategy, and though it seems too good to be true, I really hope it succeeds.

Check out the links above in the mean time, and I will try to get the guy to post here, or I can post quotes from him myself...

Some choice quotes:

We want to offer unlimited data, but there are three factors coming in to play with regards to the pricing:
1. The cost of a 155Mbps connection between Mumbai and Singapore comes in at about USD400k/year (which comes out at about 16.5 lakh rupees/month) - this connection can handle theoretically 48.5 terabytes of information in each direction per month (though we plan to purchase 2.5Gbps of bandwidth to start with).
2. Cost of peering to other ISPs in India is only 6 lakh rupees/year, however, there is a cost of Rs50 per gigabyte that is transferred.
3. I have to give 8% of my revenue to the TRAI.
As such, I'm looking at the option of allowing free local bandwidth, but a limit on international bandwidth, say, 10GB of international traffic per megabit with additional data plans able to be purchased (1Mbps plan comes with 10GB transfer, 100Mbps plan comes with 1000GB transfer).
This means that 2 users, anywhere on my network, can share at maximum speed (which for most users is probably 100Mbps), and it won't count toward their usage, however if they download a movie from someone in Sweden, this will count.
To give you an example of what I mean: if one guy is in Worli with a 2Mbps connection, and another is in Juhu with an 8Mbps connection, and they want to share a file, it will actually be transferred at 100Mbps (without the need for DC++ etc), and without any interaction from the user.
This also means that, for those using bittorrent, its likely that only the first 2-3 people will be downloading the data over the international link - subsequent users would be downloading from users with my ISP, and therefore not contributing to their overall data usage.
I figure this should reduce stress on the international link, and allow us to offer better plans than Reliance, Tata etc, and maintain a high quality of service.

There is this little organization called NIXI which makes it somewhat difficult because of their insane pricing - Rs 50 per gigabyte. And because NIXI is more-or-less a consortium consisting of the usual suspects (Reliance, Tata etc), the pricing is thrust upon all ISPs regardless.
And it's not like we have a choice - It's either peer with them, or have your traffic go out of India (usually to Singapore) and back - and the government doesn't like that idea for "security reasons".
My contact at NIXI tells me that the prices are coming down "soon" - but when and by how much they have not mentioned.

I am well aware of what ISPs in the UK and Europe offer - I have recently moved to India from Finland (and before that France).
As nice as such a scenario would be, there are several things preventing this for the immediate future:
1. Most content accessed in India is on US-based servers. As such, this places stress on our international links - which are not cheap. At a 1:50 contention ratio, just to cover the cost of a 155Mbps pipe (just short of USD33000/month), we would need to charge at least USD34/Rs1,700, and even then, in effect, this means 7750 users would be sharing a 155Mbps line.
If you wanted that at 1:30 (4650 users) or 1:8 (1240 users), you'd be looking at USD56/Rs2,800 and USD210/Rs10,500 respectively - and thats assuming no-one wanted to make any profit or pay salaries to workers, and doesn't count other things like license fees to the TRAI or infrastructure.
2. There is not much hosting done in India itself. Unlike the US, UK, Netherlands, Germany, Japan and Korea where there are significant amounts of locally hosted data and large data centers.
3. Even with locally hosted data, there is the issue of a little organization called NIXI, who currently have a formula whereby ISPs are charged at Rs 50 per gigabyte incoming (although outgoing subtracts Rs 50 per gigabyte from the bill, so effectively the end price is still about Rs 35 per gigabyte).
If I had as few as 1,000 customers downloading say only 80GB of traffic per month each through NIXI, I would have to pay 80000*50 or 40 lakhs per month, minus say 20GB of upload traffic (so minus 10 lakhs), I still have to pay 30 lakhs. 30 lakhs NOT including the 16.5 lakhs per month for a separate 155Mbps line equals 46.5 lakhs per month - so for 1000 customers, thats Rs 4,650 by itself.
Bad business, especially considering an 8Mbps connection has the potential to allow 2,000GB every month, and some people MIGHT abuse this.
4. In Europe, there are several other benefits available, mostly that the European equivalients of NIXI are far less expensive, as last time I checked, they don't get charged by the GB, and secondly buying international connectivity is cheaper due to distance. With the international cables here, you pay by the kilometer, so a link from Mumbai to Singapore works out at about USD400k per year.
Finland to Sweden, Denmark, Netherlands, Germany or UK, however, is significantly less than half the distance of a BOM-SIN route, therefore far less expensive to lease. All have very large data centers and internet exchanges, especially Amsterdam and London as well, which really helps.
My ISP will be offering an 8Mbps plan for an as-yet-unfinalized price, but it will be more than Rs2,500 - although we plan to allow 80GB of international downloads (and unlimited in-network), which we think is reasonable (I am looking for opinions on this - PM me).
Additionally, NIXI have told me that the price is being reduced, but by how much and when they have not mentioned.

We have the following ideas for plans:
Fixed plans from 1Mbit to 200Mbits, 10GB quota per Mbit (so an 8Mbit connection would be allowed 80GB data transfer in a month).
Mobile plans from 512k to 21Mbits, 5GB quota per Mbit (so a 4Mbit connection would be allowed 20GB data transfer in a month). The mobile network would be data only, whether by 3GPP or Mobile Wimax, we're waiting on licensing information.
Roaming connections: buildings with Hayai service would be equipped with WiFi access points so that users can roam anywhere in the city, and if they happen across a Hayai AP, they can log in using their account credentials and surf the web as if at home - their quota for their fixed line or mobile service then applies.
UNLIMITED TRAFFIC inside the network, at the maximum allowable speed (probably 200Mbits in most cases). This MIGHT NOT APPLY to mobile plans, depending on our hardware/throughput tests.
UNLIMITED SPEED: probably our pre-paid options will have unlimited speed with a data quota: for example 10GB for Rs500 or 50GB for Rs2000 or something like this - the speed will not be limited.
Recently the possibility of MAYBE having some unlimited-quota plans available has come up, most likely in the lower tiers (up to 8, 16 or 24Mbits, perhaps, I'm not 100% sure as of now). It's not as much out of the question as I had previously anticipated.
For quota plans, when the usage reaches something like 95%, 97% and 99%, then the user will be presented with a page that asks them to buy more data. At 100%, the user will not be able to browse or download from the regular internet - only the pages inside our network.
*IF* we have to put a fair-usage policy on "unlimited" plans, the likely option is to simply reduce the speed (maybe all tiers will go to 512kbps), rather than charge for going over the Fair Usage Policy.
VOIP services, allowing you to call several countries for free (included in your subscription - a service that probably comes later).
Software Update services/Software repositories (Windows Update, Updates for the most popular Linux distros, possibly even something like a SourceForge/Download.com/Tucows mirror or something to that effect).
Possibly an iTunes-like store for Indian (Hindi and other) content, including Music and Movies - if possible, anyway. Downloading from either the software repos or the music store would not be included in your quota (as in, downloads would be free and fast).

Fibre costs - average about US$15k (about Rs 7.5 lakh) per kilometre depending on who we buy it from, plus municipal "digging up" charges (Rs 50 lakh per kilometre in Mumbai) and labour (depends).
1. We're waiting on a shipment of 3,500km fibre. A company whose name I don't think I can mention has generously offered DC space in South-Central Mumbai. I've also been actively searching for a suitable area for a backup NOC - probably Bandra or Vashi due to the proximity of the cable landing sites - and office space for things like call centres (probably Andheri or Sion or something).
Plans for outside the city haven't really been made yet, as we had originally planned to expand only after about a year - but our latest agreement unexpectedly turned in to a nationwide one, rather than just Maharashtra.
2. Not yet. Our projections depend on a few new factors which haven't been worked in to the overall plan yet (cheaper wholesale bandwidth, less construction of fibre required in Mumbai). Some areas will have a new kind of optical technology to deliver the bandwidth where regular cable can't/won't work.
3. I have taken some finance from my family as well as a small bank loan to cover the basic startup costs of getting set up in India. My Fiancé has kindly introduced me to some people who are interested in becoming seed-financiers (2-10Cr) and who are currently awaiting the latest iteration of the business plan. I have received positive interest from a branch of the Indian Government itself as well as a private bank who is considering the project. I also have at least 12 VC funds whom I plan to approach with the plan once the new costs are sorted out and the latest revision is finalized.
4. Yes to both questions. We were originally planning to go for US$12 million (Rs 60 Cr), but this figure is now in excess of US$40 million (Rs 200 Cr) after I took other things in to account, such as the cost of digging in Mumbai. More is better, because then we can also tackle other cities sooner.
One thing we DON'T have finalized yet though, is an Indian citizen/company as a joint owner - whether one of the seed financiers wishes to get involved in this way remains to be seen. As such, no less than 26% of the company is for sale (for no other reason than to satisfy the requirements of owning a communications company in India).

Some of my posts:

the most brilliant idea (which we've been crying for many years now) is the mirroring of microsoft/windows servers and other linux distros and open source software (and whatever else you can manage) so that downloading them is FREE of the data caps! that would really excite me the most...
also, getting into a dialog with NIXI to enable better/faster/cheaper peering between operators would make broadband faster and cheaper in general too...

As far as im concerned this is the most exciting thread on this forum about broadband IMHO...

To back up your latest business plans/propositions I'm sure you can point any interested investors/partners to such forums and show them the responses from various members across the country. Like I said, even though these plans/ideas are tentative, you have a "+1", positive, thumbs up from me (and I'm sure many others as well), I could sign up for a plan in a heartbeat, since this is the most exciting prospect for broadband in India, and I hope your current and potential investors realise the demand and hence revenues/profits that could be had
This (and other) forums serve as sources of market research data... and to me it clearly shows a very positive response! You have the potential to blow away the competition with these ideas.

but a limit on international bandwidth, say, 10GB of international traffic per megabit

:p my upload + download total for july was 110gb - all of it international, on a 256k connection (& at just about 1000/ pm). he needs to check out usage statistics first and price accordingly. If i get a 1mb connection, my usage will most probably be around 500gb+ upload and download in a month.

edit: @Sunnyboi, the hayai translation came first in my mind too. :)

Edit2:
This means that 2 users, anywhere on my network, can share at maximum speed (which for most users is probably 100Mbps), and it won't count toward their usage, however if they download a movie from someone in Sweden, this will count.

To give you an example of what I mean: if one guy is in Worli with a 2Mbps connection, and another is in Juhu with an 8Mbps connection, and they want to share a file, it will actually be transferred at 100Mbps (without the need for DC++ etc), and without any interaction from the user.

how do you share on the network? will they give sharing programs? Also this could mean traps from the local anti piracy group.

This also means that, for those using bittorrent, its likely that only the first 2-3 people will be downloading the data over the international link - subsequent users would be downloading from users with my ISP, and therefore not contributing to their overall data usage.

what is the possibility of two people downloading the same file at the same time from the same isp? quite small. provided the first downloader keeps seeding for a long time even then his uploads to international countries will be counted in the data usage. It is data going to another country afterall.

since you ALREADY are limited to 75gb download max per month on a 256 kbps link even if you go 24x7... then why not for the same price STILL be limited to 75 gb BUT this time you get super fast speeds... yes you finish your download much sooner and your connection goes dead for the rest of the month, but you deserve that you greedy bandwidth hogger :p for me i dont do heavy traffic, so a 100 gb plan (capped or FUPed) with very high speeds for reasonable price is VERY attractive... which is why this guy's (promoter) plans/ideas seem so exciting to me. especially since he's thinking of hosting internal mirrors of various open source and free downloads like microsoft servers/updates which DO NOT count in your data transfer limits...

who knows, they might start their own bittorrent trackers for legal sharing (open source etc) heh, but really, this is all tentative stuff - made of dreams...

Another post from "mgcarley" - the guy behind the website (emphases mine):

And this is why I've set up the website for people to sign up to determine the market: its these numbers which go in to the spreadsheets which generate the graphs that the investors see. It also helps us figure out which suburbs to provide to first. I live in an area of Mumbai that should be well served, but isn't.
While my suburb may be one of the earlier ones to get service (assuming I can get the demand here) it might not even be the first. In either case, I'd consider either moving or putting in a special link to my house only so as to not have to suffer through other ISPs.
For those that signup, we're not holding people to the fact that they HAVE to be a customer - at the moment, we're just showing that after XX numbers of days/weeks/months this many people have responded and are willing to pay YY rupees for ZZ services, and we can provide services for this many rupees.
Ideally I would like a few thousand signups so that we can genuinely show that there is sufficient demand, although I will be putting links to this thread (and others) in to the business plan for reference. Perhaps we would approach registered users once their area is enabled: a little bit like Airtel's "impatient ones" website.

Only about a month ago I had asked if something along the lines of a city wide hub would be possible and this seems to be the closest answer to my question.

Only about a month ago? Some people (like me) have been yearning for such ideas to be implemented for many years now :D

Even if this hayai thing falls through, I hope at least other ISPs sit up and take notice of these ideas and responses and at least get some inspiration into their brain dead useless executives/leaders who can implement such stuff...

thats ain't gonna happen in india at least for 20 yrs when all market shall be open to global company who will chew local companies. Becoz in india or indian companies definition of business means "exploitation of customer to be rich". Same is the policy for the GOI and same is case with private organisations.

Customer centric services and products is a myth in india and hell no one bothers to even think in that direction. What ever companies present atm, if they care a dim about each customers (and think them as their best asset) , take feedback to improve their services... they would have acheived 10x what they are doing now.

And Telecom being hot property now every player wants to rip like golden harvest.
vishalrao said:
Only about a month ago? Some people (like me) have been yearning for such ideas to be implemented for many years now :D

Even if this hayai thing falls through, I hope at least other ISPs sit up and take notice of these ideas and responses and at least get some inspiration into their brain dead useless executives/leaders who can implement such stuff...

If we have free intra-isp traffic, we can create a tracker for the isp users to share the stuff free of charge.

That would cause less usage of the limited usage we may get.

edit: just noticed they plan to start sevice just around Mumbai areas.

Well it is the same as other ISPs. Data Limits! Though clever enough to name it differently! Yes limits are higher, but there are limits nonetheless!

As though I would love to use such a service, no one knows about how underhanded these local problems are, cablewallah's and their goons. If I go for this new service, they ( cablewallahs) will make sure they will cut the line, or destroy the equipment. Out cablewallah has bribed the society so that, they are the only option in the area. If I ask others to start service which I need, they say that the society will not give permission to put wires, they will not allow the hanging of wires over buildings etc. I am sure such are similar situations all around suburban Mumbai.

in short, there is a lot of corrruption. Suggestion here, btw Vishal, I understand that the other guy from hayai is on IBF. Does he know about these challenges ?

hmmm good point about the ground realities, he might know, though i will quote your post on IBF :)

chic_magnet said:
Well it is the same as other ISPs. Data Limits! Though clever enough to name it differently! Yes limits are higher, but there are limits nonetheless!

Think of it this way. Current ISPs are "clever" to call their plans unlimited (and they are) but guess what? My speed is limited to 512 kbps so the MAX I can download in a month is under 150 GB ! :D So that is the real limit... 150 GB per month for Rs 1500/-...

Now, for the same price (Rs 1500) if Hayai offers you the same download limit (150GB) but now lets you download at FULL SPEED of multi-megabits per second, would that not be MORE CLEVER than the current situation? I would certainly JUMP on such a data plan.

Yes, its bad for the heavy users (they will reach the caps sooner) but theoretically you are not going to get more data amounts whether you pick a so-called UL plan but slow speeds or you pick a super fast plan with caps or FUP... heavy users will always be limited by data caps, its just the ILLUSION of getting "unlimited" haha... see the situation here?

So the current pricing seems to be Rs 10 per GB (at low speeds)... if they can maintain same price of Rs 10 per GB but give you really high speeds... that looks like a sweet proposition to me... in reality I probably download 50 to 100 GB per month due to power cuts etc I cant run 24x7, that means I am paying Rs 15 to Rs 30 per GB... if they were to charge Rs 20 per GB even then it would make sense to me.

Looks to me they can give you "unlimited speed" if you compromise on the so-called "unlimited data transfer" and the UL data is just an illusion/gimmick anyway :D

Even my ul + dl on a 256k unlimited connection is close to 150gb (since power failures haven't been a problem for me anywhere I've stayed yet). That translates to Rs 5-6/gb and who is really happy with the current unlimted plans anyway?

Also for me with a capped high speed connection the problem comes with streaming sites like youtube etc where I might just want to preview a couple of seconds of the video but already its finished downloaded most of it by the time I get around to checking it out. I'd probably have to install something to enforce a speed limit in that case :D

vishalrao said:
So the current pricing seems to be Rs 10 per GB (at low speeds)... if they can maintain same price of Rs 10 per GB but give you really high speeds... that looks like a sweet proposition to me...

How did you come to know about this Rs. 10 per GB price? Is that 10 per GB international? Because, he mentions in many places that he has to pay somewhere around Rs. 34 per GB for the cables.

Some what related: Is YouTube hosted in India? If yes, will he allow viewing YouTube videos at the maximum speed? :) I know its too much to ask.

After reading his post on the costs he has to pay, I feel really guilty. I am one of those " 'mis users' who leave the laptop running 24x7 even while sleeping". (I am one a 2 Mbps Railwire unlimited @ 1350 per month).

yea, costs are sadly very high still these days. i didnt "come to know" of 10 rs per GB price... i just did a rough calculation... my connection is BSNL 512 kbps UL at Rs 1500 per month incl. taxes. I can download max 150 GB on that if I go 24x7 downloading. Using those 2 numbers I said Rs 10 per GB :D

youtube is unllikely to be at max speed or free of data caps since thats a huge content delivery mechanism even google struggles to host/maintain.

we have no need to feel guilty. we can blame the stupid govt regulators and corps like TRAI/NIXI and the current greedy ISPs. we should be able to do all we want with our connections at a fixed monthly price. some day that will happen in india too - but probably a long ways off :)

chiron said:
Also for me with a capped high speed connection the problem comes with streaming sites like youtube etc where I might just want to preview a couple of seconds of the video but already its finished downloaded most of it by the time I get around to checking it out. I'd probably have to install something to enforce a speed limit in that case :D

OMG a user with reverse demands! heh :D

I have noticed Youtube (and other such streaming video sites) have a simple algorithm where they start playback based on download speed. For current slow speeds the playback does not start until a lot of the video is already downloaded to avoid pauses during buffering mid-video. For super fast connections where risk of pauses due to buffering is low or nonexistent the playback should start almost immediately, meaning you can watch the first few seconds and immediately change or close the webpage to prevent further download...

For current slow connections I (and guessing you too) open multiple videos in tabs so that they can download together and watch them one by one but that habit can be broken/unnecessary with a fast link.

But either way Im sure there is traffic shaping software that can be installed on your own machine to limit speeds for particular websites :)

Yes it does seem awesome, if not a little bit lofty :) According to the guy: by end of this year in a few areas, "soon" followed by other areas/cities nationwide... but sounds highly unlikely since he mentions "digging up roads" involved to lay fiber etc... and we know India's speciality in bureaucracy/restrictions/corruption will take its own sweet time...

unni said:
After reading his post on the costs he has to pay, I feel really guilty. I am one of those " 'mis users' who leave the laptop running 24x7 even while sleeping". (I am one a 2 Mbps Railwire unlimited @ 1350 per month).

Dude, relax.. if someone were letting you use their connection for free to, say, check your email, news and a few discussion forums every day, and you abused those privileges to download 24/7 then you can feel guilty.

So what if you keep your laptop running while you're sleeping? You're paying for access and usage of the pipes, right? Rest assured ISPs don't feel the least bit guilty taking money from less tech savvy users who consistently go under or over their data caps..

This is like our moms feeling bad about the input costs to the sabziwala - it shouldn't happen! Get your money's worth!

vishalrao said:
since you ALREADY are limited to 75gb download max per month on a 256 kbps linkeven if you go 24x7... then why not for the same price STILL be limited to 75 gb BUT this time you get super fast speeds... yes you finish your download much sooner and your connection goes dead for the rest of the month, but you deserve that you greedy bandwidth hogger :p for me i dont do heavy traffic, so a 100 gb plan (capped or FUPed) with very high speeds for reasonable price is VERY attractive... which is why this guy's (promoter) plans/ideas seem so exciting to me. especially since he's thinking of hosting internal mirrors of various open source and free downloads like microsoft servers/updates which DO NOT count in your data transfer limits...

who knows, they might start their own bittorrent trackers for legal sharing (open source etc) heh, but really, this is all tentative stuff - made of dreams...

vishalrao said:
yea, costs are sadly very high still these days. i didnt "come to know" of 10 rs per GB price... i just did a rough calculation... my connection is BSNL 512 kbps UL at Rs 1500 per month incl. taxes. I can download max 150 GB on that if I go 24x7 downloading. Using those 2 numbers I said Rs 10 per GB :D

youtube is unllikely to be at max speed or free of data caps since thats a huge content delivery mechanism even google struggles to host/maintain.

we have no need to feel guilty. we can blame the stupid govt regulators and corps like TRAI/NIXI and the current greedy ISPs. we should be able to do all we want with our connections at a fixed monthly price. some day that will happen in india too - but probably a long ways off :)

calling me a greedy bandwidth hogger? :tongue:
see your usage and my usage. imo u should be given a 1TB connection so your 150gb quota gets over in a few hours flat and you twiddle your thumbs for the rest of the month. :rofl:

dont take it personally :bleh:

WHoah i missed this important post !!

It does sound interesting but the best thing is here you have a guy laying out the prices so you get a pretty good idea of how much those bits that you crave cost to arrive :)

Back