Check out hayai.in - a potentially revolutionary new ISP

6pack said:
calling me a greedy bandwidth hogger? :tongue:
see your usage and my usage. imo u should be given a 1TB connection so your 150gb quota gets over in a few hours flat and you twiddle your thumbs for the rest of the month. :rofl:

dont take it personally :bleh:

ehehehe, you missed some key words like "can" and "if" in my statement. i do not download 24x7 (i used to a couple of years ago) so am unable to reach the "limit" of 150gb. my actual downloads are in the range of 50 to 100 gb per month, sadly mainly due to daily powercuts, my PC is downloading during nights and weekends only. for the same reason i've stopped "crunching" in the distributed computing section :) nothing like a good power shortage to keep you sane :p

blr_p said:
WHoah i missed this important post !!

It does sound interesting but the best thing is here you have a guy laying out the prices so you get a pretty good idea of how much those bits that you crave cost to arrive :)

There is a separate subsection names "hayai" on IBF for this! Do weigh in over there. I'd posted the following (skeptical) initially when I had mentioned I also missed that discussion since it started in another thread which I wasnt paying attention to:

@mgcarley, your thoughts are really what all operators and govt should learn and understand. i have signed up on hayai.in and entered the information you want for your research, wishing you all the best for these (should i say lofty dreams or) goals!
Words of caution though (no offence to you mgcarley) - this is either an exciting proposition or a really elaborate marketing/phishing/scam to get you excited then convince you to send out your information and money in the form of initial deposit for non-existent products. i certainly will NOT be one of the early adopters and certainly will not be the fool in the proverb "a fool and his money are soon parted" if you start asking for initial deposits heh
now that we got it out of the way, this could really be a david vs. goliath story... hayai vs. all the greedy operators and moronic govt officials.

In my place i.e Kerala most cos. instead of digging up roads, they pull their cables through the drainage system and clamp it above the usual water level.

Instead of taking Wimax licenses & increasing the end user costs, I would say tie up with some CDMA operators like MTN who have pan india license & give mobile high speed connections. This way users will have mobility & high speed connections at the same time.

vishalrao said:
youtube is unllikely to be at max speed or free of data caps since thats a huge content delivery mechanism even google struggles to host/maintain.

we have no need to feel guilty. we can blame the stupid govt regulators and corps like TRAI/NIXI and the current greedy ISPs. we should be able to do all we want with our connections at a fixed monthly price. some day that will happen in india too - but probably a long ways off :)

shr1k said:
Dude, relax.. if someone were letting you use their connection for free to, say, check your email, news and a few discussion forums every day, and you abused those privileges to download 24/7 then you can feel guilty.

So what if you keep your laptop running while you're sleeping? You're paying for access and usage of the pipes, right? Rest assured ISPs don't feel the least bit guilty taking money from less tech savvy users who consistently go under or over their data caps..

This is like our moms feeling bad about the input costs to the sabziwala - it shouldn't happen! Get your money's worth!

Thanks. Even while I was posting that, I was downloading and had queued for the next 3-4 days.:eek:hyeah:

I didn't think about server side issues of giving YouTube at full speed. That's a good point.

About mgcarley's comments about torrent applications downloading from users within his network: Do current clients support that or do they just select seeds/peers with highest upload speed?

Quiet frankly, in the modern internet world, this will suck.

Free network bandwidth is more or less useless unless there is huge customer base for that ISP having same interests and on same tracker for P2P which is not gonna happen.

Its not the question of how fast you get your data. Its more important to have a unlimited reasonably fast connection for most people.

I pay 2199 for 1mbps unlimited from reliance which always gives me more than 1mbps speed. I can easily download and upload upto 10GB in a day. Sometimes more (specially on weekends I still get speed surges here ).

Thats close to 600GB total up + down in a month. Last month I ended up uploading 510GB on private trackers. And I am sure many people on private trackers care about their uploads. I have a low power machine on 24x7 uploading close to 500 files to maintain and improve my ratio on all private trackers where I am registered.

Even then I hope this guy comes through. This might get other moving and change their strategy with the speeds and caps.

Bumping this old thread to check if anyone here (especially in Mumbai) using Hayai internet ?
I am planning to get their connection when i am back. They mentioned to me (via twitter) that it is FTTB (Fiber to the Building) in my area (Borivali west) and from that, the last mile connectivity to my home would be copper. There is no FTTH in Borivali yet from what i know. Internet is through cable operator mostly.

Bumping this old thread to check if anyone here (especially in Mumbai) using Hayai internet ?
I am planning to get their connection when i am back. They mentioned to me (via twitter) that it is FTTB (Fiber to the Building) in my area (Borivali west) and from that, the last mile connectivity to my home would be copper. There is no FTTH in Borivali yet from what i know. Internet is through cable operator mostly.
Raksrules, They presently provide Internet Via copper via Some RVNET LCO. Soon to be on 7 Star. I don't know anything more than that.
presently a user on twitter has connection from hayai, that dude's net has been suffering from downtimes from the past one week.

Raksrules, They presently provide Internet Via copper via Some SSV LCO. Soon to be on 7 Star. I don't know anything more than that.
presently a user on twitter has connection from hayai, that dude's net has been suffering from downtimes from the past one week.

That's what. I don't see any real reviews of the service anywhere. As per the coverage map of Mumbai, my area (Borivali west) is well covered for copper connection. this was also confirmed by their twitter person. It definitely looks good on paper as of now.
One thing i am sure that if and when i get the connection, i won't be getting my MTNL disconnected initially, may be will shift it to the cheapest plan.

Free network bandwidth is more or less useless unless there is huge customer base for that ISP having same interests and on same tracker for P2P which is not gonna happen.

Its not the question of how fast you get your data. Its more important to have a unlimited reasonably fast connection for most people.

I pay 2199 for 1mbps unlimited from reliance which always gives me more than 1mbps speed. I can easily download and upload upto 10GB in a day. Sometimes more (specially on weekends I still get speed surges here ).

Thats close to 600GB total up + down in a month. Last month I ended up uploading 510GB on private trackers. And I am sure many people on private trackers care about their uploads. I have a low power machine on 24x7 uploading close to 500 files to maintain and improve my ratio on all private trackers where I am registered.

Even then I hope this guy comes through. This might get other moving and change their strategy with the speeds and caps.

600GB in a month :ashamed:

- - - Updated - - -

600GB in a month :ashamed:

That's what. I don't see any real reviews of the service anywhere. As per the coverage map of Mumbai, my area (Borivali west) is well covered for copper connection. this was also confirmed by their twitter person. It definitely looks good on paper as of now.
One thing i am sure that if and when i get the connection, i won't be getting my MTNL disconnected initially, may be will shift it to the cheapest plan.

First Even I got Excited listening at the concept of 100Mbps or 1Gbps.
Then looking at the Credibility of the Words by So called Founder mgcarley, I knew he can never Do whatever he wants to.. That too in India.

Even I Don't trust that Guy on Twitter, purely Seems to be a Hayai Company Guy. He says He got the Connection for 199+ 10/Gb up to How much you want.
... And more funny thing is mgcarley Doesn't Have a office Helpline Number, You have a issue with their connection Call on his mobile number. :bleh:

Now a Days I follow his Twitter account, He says the delay was because he expected Intial Funding Right away when thought of Launching The Service last year on OCT 26. He Explains Suddenly Things changed because that Funding Guy Left them, He Elaborates and says its because of What happened to Tikona(They Received nice amount of Funding and now are facing losses)

I don't have any hopes on this company. Only a Big Funding will Help these Guys. I am sure you want to Enjoy the Speeds which you are used to in Dallas, You gotta Shift to Bangalore Or Hyderabad for that As of now :p

raksrules, You don't have D-Vois in your area? They seem to offer High Speed Broadband plans.

First Even I got Excited listening at the concept of 100Mbps or 1Gbps.
Then looking at the Credibility of the Words by So called Founder mgcarley, I knew he can never Do whatever he wants to.. That too in India.

Sorry, already doing it.

Even I Don't trust that Guy on Twitter, purely Seems to be a Hayai Company Guy. He says He got the Connection for 199+ 10/Gb up to How much you want.

What guy?

... And more funny thing is mgcarley Doesn't Have a office Helpline Number, You have a issue with their connection Call on his mobile number. :bleh:

We have a toll-free office number for technical support. It is given to customers. People who live near me do often call me on my mobile because I get things done even if it's at 3 in the morning, and subscribers who can't get support through the normal channels are also able to call me on my mobile. It's something consumers in this country seem to be unfamiliar with, called "customer service". While I don't promise a direct-line to me forever, we're still small enough that I can do it without too many consequences. Ultimately, the responsibility lies on my shoulders.

Now a Days I follow his Twitter account, He says the delay was because he expected Intial Funding Right away when thought of Launching The Service last year on OCT 26. He Explains Suddenly Things changed because that Funding Guy Left them, He Elaborates and says its because of What happened to Tikona(They Received nice amount of Funding and now are facing losses)

I think you misread everything I've said.

Funding has always been there, just a matter of how much: we don't have enough to expand in to other metros or anything but then, I don't think you understand quite how much that actually entails. We're not talking only 1 or 2 Cr here.

At the same time, when it comes to Tikona, they took several hundred crore in seed funding and gave away over 70% of the company to get it. The company is now run by accountants. This is a bad thing. The initial idea was good, but an ISP being run by accountants is not. We don't want to suffer that same fate, it's as simple as that.

Moreover, due to what I can only imagine to be a combination of factors including the Indian market, balance sheet and reputation, a company due to invest in Tikona pulled out of the deal, which doesn't bode well for them.

In less than a week, we're celebrating our first birthday. We're still small but we're doing what we promised at the prices we promised and rolling out connections as and when we're able - the waiting list is about 3x as much as the number of active connections right now - obviously at these speeds, we have to manage our resources very carefully otherwise the experience would be ruined for everybody.

As for the Youtube issue, when Felix Baumgartner did his jump the other day, we were pulling through over 4 gigabits per second *just* to Google - so much traffic that our direct-to-Google connections had to be supplemented by our connectivity to Tata. Might not sound like a great deal considering the speeds we offer but at HD resolution that's around 1,000 users, just on our network, watching the 1080p stream live.

I don't have any hopes on this company. Only a Big Funding will Help these Guys. I am sure you want to Enjoy the Speeds which you are used to in Dallas, You gotta Shift to Bangalore Or Hyderabad for that As of now :p

Cool, if you don't believe us, don't subscribe. There are 130+ other operators who will gladly give you a <2mbit/s connection. Borivali West is copper-only at this point, which unfortunately means cable operator.

raksrules, You don't have D-Vois in your area? They seem to offer High Speed Broadband plans.

What you guys consider "high speed" is pretty funny.

- - - Updated - - -

Yes, Borivali West at this time is copper only, which, unfortunately, means LCO. Areas with FTTH are all ours.

Raksrules, They presently provide Internet Via copper via Some SSV LCO. Soon to be on 7 Star. I don't know anything more than that.

SSV is the cable operator for Navi Mumbai and we do *not* provide services through them AT ALL. As for 7Star, we are testing their network for stability and throughput. If it works, great. If it doesn't, then we will continue to not provide services in Juhu/Andheri/etc until we can find another way.

- - - Updated - - -

Actually it works pretty well because of all the caching.

You can see just how well that's been working out.

I can upload 10GB in less than an hour. What's your point?

No you didn't. 1mbps will max out at 320GB under ideal circumstances.

So far, no change. The only way is to upgrade.

@mgcarley

I am the person asking those Borivali related queries on your hayai_in twitter account. Disregard my twitter user name as i don't have any real twitter account and only this one account which i have made. I have been spoilt by the speeds i have here in US (15 Mbps down/ 5Mbps up) and would want a good connectivity at my home in Mumbai. My current plan is MTNL 400 Rs (after taxes) and it is mostly 512 Kbps. I don't even know that properly but it works ok for skype video.
What is the scenario in terms of how fast i can get connection in Borivali west area. If as you are saying it is through cable operator then i guess it will be through Incablenet mostly i believe.

Sorry, already doing it.

I don't Think So.

What guy?
Shiv sharma

We have a toll-free office number for technical support. It is given to customers..

How to Believe Sir? Contact | Hayai No where its mentioned. Any ISP who wants customer to Contact them, Gives out their Contact Phone numbers.
As you claim you have Small amount of users and a Queue of Bookings.

I think you misread everything I've said. Funding has always been there, just a matter of how much: we don't have enough to expand in to other metros or anything but then, I don't think you understand quite how much that actually entails. We're not talking only 1 or 2 Cr here.
Yes, I just had a 2Sec Reading on Twitter.. Wasn't Sure about this funding thing :)

In less than a week, we're celebrating our first birthday. We're still small but we're doing what we promised at the prices we promised and rolling out connections as and when we're able - the waiting list is about 3x as much as the number of active connections right now - obviously at these speeds, we have to manage our resources very carefully otherwise the experience would be ruined for everybody.
You should Actually Announce how many Customers are you Serving till Date. Don't Need Exact Figure. Why?? I have Seen One of the Worst launches EVER!! :1ign034:

As for the Youtube issue, when Felix Baumgartner did his jump the other day, we were pulling through over 4 gigabits per second *just* to Google - so much traffic that our direct-to-Google connections had to be supplemented by our connectivity to Tata. Might not sound like a great deal considering the speeds we offer but at HD resolution that's around 1,000 users, just on our network, watching the 1080p stream live.

I Don't Know. Thanks For Informing.
Cool, if you don't believe us, don't subscribe. There are 130+ other operators who will gladly give you a <2mbit/s connection. Borivali West is copper-only at this point, which unfortunately means cable operator.
I won't. I am not from Mumbai :p

SSV is the cable operator for Navi Mumbai and we do *not* provide services through them AT ALL. As for 7Star, we are testing their network for stability and throughput. If it works, great. If it doesn't, then we will continue to not provide services in Juhu/Andheri/etc until we can find another way.
Edited the Earlier post It's Rvnet. https://twitter.com/shiv_s/status/252115921576013824

@mgcarley

I am the person asking those Borivali related queries on your hayai_in twitter account. Disregard my twitter user name as i don't have any real twitter account and only this one account which i have made. I have been spoilt by the speeds i have here in US (15 Mbps down/ 5Mbps up) and would want a good connectivity at my home in Mumbai. My current plan is MTNL 400 Rs (after taxes) and it is mostly 512 Kbps. I don't even know that properly but it works ok for skype video.
What is the scenario in terms of how fast i can get connection in Borivali west area. If as you are saying it is through cable operator then i guess it will be through Incablenet mostly i believe.

Copper connections go *up to* 100mbit/s. I've personally managed 96mbit/s on a copper network but that was in the very early hours of the morning. During peak periods maybe 40-60mbit/s. On a 10mbit/s plan you can expect in the vicinity of 10mbit/s. On a 20mbit/s plan in the vicinity of 20mbit/s.

Youtube usually comes in at about 25mbit/s for most people (irrespective of their subscribed speed) which is more than enough to stream without buffering, although I have witnessed it come in at 50-70mbit/s - think I posted pictures of the same on twitter once upon a time.

I don't Think So.

I'm not here to sway your opinion, you are entitled to it.

Shiv sharma

Yes, I know of him and I have met him on a few occasions. No, he does not work for Hayai. I think he works for some bank or something - you'd have to ask him.

How to Believe Sir? Contact | Hayai No where its mentioned. Any ISP who wants customer to Contact them, Gives out their Contact Phone numbers.

Please read properly. For *support* we have a toll-free number which is explicitly NOT advertised. For *sales* that 9987*** goes through to any one of 12 people, or, sometimes me personally.

As you claim you have Small amount of users and a Queue of Bookings.

So you'd prefer us to simply activate everyone, have them all saturate the network and then all simultaneously complain about the speeds and us under-delivering? Sounds like an awful plan. I think my way is better, but again, you're entitled to your opinion :)

Yes, I just had a 2Sec Reading on Twitter.. Wasn't Sure about this funding thing :)

Funding is a complicated thing. Building networks is VERY capital intensive - who'd have thought?

You should Actually Announce how many Customers are you Serving till Date. Don't Need Exact Figure.

When there is a figure that is statistically relevant (say, at least 1 lakh), then we will. Until then, don't hold your breath.

Why?? I have Seen One of the Worst launches EVER!!

Whose launch was that?
I won't. I am not from Mumbai :p

Or when we launch in Hyderabad.

Yes, in Shiv's area we use RV-Net. He does not live in an FTTH enabled building. We are expecting to retrofit his building (and neighbouring buildings) to FTTH in December as there is a good density of subscribers in that area.

In many areas we have to use cable operators because hey, we need the coverage. If we built an FTTH network to cover Mumbai in it's entirety, it wouldn't be ready until at least 2021 and I'd be easily 5,000 crores in the hole before even starting. Not the best business plan, IMO. Think about it.

Back