China electrocutes young gamers!!!!!!!

this is madness :| my mom tells me im addicted to the computer :lol: heh, but thats as far as it goes.:p...its not exactly *good* to play games for 10+ hours a day but this isn't the way you get over it ... this is bullshi*/, why dont they crucify the young blokes....dang right now im happy i wasnt borin in china :D

Well, are you against (1) shock treatment in general, or just shock treatment in the case of gamers?

If it is (1) I agree with you guys and if it is (2) then I don't understand why you say that - an addiction is an addiction, all that matters is the severity.

The real question is does shock treatment even cure internet obsession?

India's Government IS sad. China's is sad too but in a different way
Our government mostly doesn't care about gaming or the internet thus far. Although I'm sure somewhere down the line, our government will start b**ching about both of the above.

The question is does shock treatment cure any obsession? And I don't think they are doing the kind of shock treatment you think where they fry your brain.

There are many degrees of shock treatment.

against shock treatment in general and parents themselves for letting kids get this way and look for quickfix solutions
and is there any evidence that shock treatment makes any difference ?

and is there any evidence that shock treatment makes any difference ?
Well. It is a commonly accepted belief that by associating something you hate with something you like, you will eventually hate that which you like. Assuming of course that they are giving shocks to him everytime he tries to touch that keyboard though which I highly doubt.

The question is does shock treatment cure any obsession? And I don't think they are doing the kind of shock treatment you think where they fry your brain

No. It seems more like a punishment than a cure which only makes less sense then to be doing something like this.

How does electrocution prevent anything? They're just punishing the boy with the most severest form of pain. China is like that. They massacred some 20,000 dogs in one of the areas of the country because there were too many complains for rabies, there was even a thread on TE about it and attracted a lot of attention in the internet.

They're not being punished as I said earlier which would be ridiculous. The problem here is that the government treats such addicitons as mental illnesses and such sees shock treatment as a cure for it.

An addiction is an illness. And there are mental and physiological aspects.

And if excessive (10-15 hours a day) gaming is not an illness, then it is simply unacceptable behavior. In that case the kids shouldn't be sent somewhere where they get pills and people monitoring them and (possibly electric shocks). Their parents should simply beat the crap out of them.

Which is sometimes necessary (I am against child abuse, but sometimes you do need to spank a child).

I have never seen addictions as illnesses. I've felt it has more to do with an utter lack of self control or being easily influenced. Sounds more like common falings of human nature as opposed to mental patients who have actual illnesses caused due to emotional or brain(physical) damage.

Well, when it starts off, it is entirely a psychological thing. You know cigarettes are bad, but you smoke them anyway. It's "cool". Do drugs because they make you feel "good". Idiots.

After that, there are physical manifestations.

And the fact is, even things which are entirely psychological (there are no narcotics in video games) do produce the same damned brain chemicals.... and then it becomes physiological.

But the end conclusion is that parents have to nip stuff in the bud before it happens. Unfortunately, no matter how good parents are, you can't always see or anticipate such stuff.

I suppose many people are coerced into smoking cigarettes and doing drugs due to their friends doing it or the notion that it's cool but I'm also betting that most people derive pleasure from it which is why they do it.

Well, yeah. Prevention is better than cure but then, when have we ever been able to rely on human competence?

well i think spanking or giving shocks to a kid aint the solution , it should be like they should be sent to a rehab centre and they should be kept away from the internet and try to engage them in other activities

Great. So when the kid wants to take a holiday from school he first spends all his time playing PC games until his parents get worried and send him to a nice rehab centre?

But if the moment he tries such crap the parents put the fear of god in him.... well he'll be sure to stop playing.

If you can talk the kid out of it, well and good.

Back