Chrome beaten in Sunspider JS Benchmark

Operas Carakan engine beats Chrome in Sunspider JS benchmark!!

Review of the Opera 10.5 pre-alpha coming soon hopefully

Opera 10.5 alpha, the first major release since Opera 10 (Opera 10.1 was a minor release) was just released in time for the holidays is another very attractive option. We love the new layout of the browser, and the ability to open private mode tabs alongside public tabs is convenient. The new version of Opera is also ultra-fast thanks to its new Vega graphics library and new Carakan Javascript engine (replacing the older Futhark engine). Standards supports is also industry leading.

The alpha build also is one of the most attractive looking browsers on the market...

DailyTech - Opera 10.5 Alpha, Safari 4, IE 8, Firefox 3.6b5, and Chrome 4 Benchmarked

Get Opera 10.5 pre-alpha

What's with Opera and you, Raghu! :p

Hey, btw would you prefer Opera for a netbook (Samsung N128 TBP) over Firefox? :)

Been in love with Opera for almost a decade now :p

Opera over Fartfox on any device/OS. Way less memory consumption and CPU usage. Most of the features, like adblock, come built-in, so they work flawlessly too.

So does this mean that Opera is close to/faster than Chrome in terms of load times? That is my main criteria for using a browser.

^^ By load times do you mean page load times or program load times? Either way my comment applies.

I have always felt that Opera was faster than Chrome on load times, even before this update. Page/program load times are influenced by a lot of other factors too. So do test it on your connection and PC once.

I use Opers, Chrome, Firefox side by side. I find that Opera is best for user interface, speed and user interface but it doesn't load all the pages.

Firefox is best for compatibility.

Does the latest opera allow to kill a page with a process explorer view like chrome has ?

This was very useful when one page locks up the browser with many tabs and the only way is to kill it only to restart again :(

:-|
Opera doesn't support the google voice/video plugin.
Opera doesn't have an import wizard for grabbing bookmarks/passwords from other browsers on fresh installation.

Found out the above when I installed it a while back.

im not saying anything to the opera..

but i just love chrome..

easy, neat, manageable...

havnt used opera..so no comparison..

just expressing my views..

blr_p said:
Does the latest opera allow to kill a page with a process explorer view like chrome has ?

This was very useful when one page locks up the browser with many tabs and the only way is to kill it only to restart again :(
No, but Opera doesn't become unresponsive or crash. Ever.

stalker said:
:-|
Opera doesn't support the google voice/video plugin.
Opera doesn't have an import wizard for grabbing bookmarks/passwords from other browsers on fresh installation.

Found out the above when I installed it a while back.
It's the other way around actually. It's the 3rd party developers who ignore building in support for Opera simply because it's not huge like the IE/FF duo.
I remember how on launch, Quake Live didn't support Opera at all.

Passwords can't be imported, I'd guess every browser uses its own encryption to store those and I don't think any 3rd party tool would be able to read them.
But the bookmark import tool is right there under the File menu :p.

31498241.gif

saumilsingh said:
It's the other way around actually. It's the 3rd party developers who ignore building in support for Opera simply because it's not huge like the IE/FF duo.
I remember how on launch, Quake Live didn't support Opera at all.

Passwords can't be imported, I'd guess every browser uses its own encryption to store those and I don't think any 3rd party tool would be able to read them.
But the bookmark import tool is right there under the File menu :p.

31498241.gif

Firefox seems to disagree
cap.png

Also,
Voice & Video Engineer Justin said:
Opera implements the NPAPI plugin interface in what appears to be a
non-standard way.

Because of this, Gmail voice and video chat does not currently work in
Opera on Windows or Mac.
Taken from Video chat in Opera - Chats and Contacts | Google Groups

Have to agree with that. I'm using Opera for the past 5 to 6 years, and I do not remember even a single instance when the browser crashed. The latest versions just seem to take the standards of reliability only higher.

And the small memory footprint compared to Firefox is the biggest advantage.

hp-india said:
Have to agree with that. I'm using Opera for the past 5 to 6 years, and I do not remember even a single instance when the browser crashed. The latest versions just seem to take the standards of reliability only higher.
And the small memory footprint compared to Firefox is the biggest advantage.

I'm on 8.5 and it happens with sites with a lot of JS. The only way is to turn JS off.

^^ Any particular reason to stick with 8.5? Can you try a clean install of Opera 8.5 - uninstall, delete opera folder, install again? If its a repeatable occurence, can you post the sites/URL so that I can check too?

stalker said:

I got the video chat plugin installed, but not able to test it since none of my friends use it. Have you been able to check with Opera 10.10?

@sawmill me just nitpicking :p

@raghu, yup I have it installed and it doesn't work. I found the link i've quoted above when I was looking around for a workaround

Raghunandan said:
^^ Any particular reason to stick with 8.5?

Wanted to stick with a final on this P3. I would have shifted to the latest 9. but did not hear it was any more faster.

The reason I think it gets bogged down on some sites is because i use some excludes in the filter.ini file. As you may know filter.ini allows little more wildcard blocking in domain URLs over just the hosts file.

Back