Chromecast or another dongle?

@sharktale1212 and @tommy_vercetti, hope you gentlemen have ordered MK808B Plus itself? couldn't find any version of it newer than that. this is the one am about to put in my cart:

http://www.gearbest.com/tv-box/pp_124593.html

correct one?!

also, the kb-mouse combo would be the one selected by sharktale. any other accessories needed? :)
Yep the same one. This has EU plug selected by default.
By newer version I assume you are talking about something running on 5.0+ or 809x something. I wanted to do that too but had to consider two things - 1. price, everything is ~60. 2. support. my understanding from @Party Monger and @vyral_143 's posts is, this thing has good support. I certainly don't want something latest but have to tear my hair if things go wrong.

Yep the same one. This has EU plug selected by default.
By newer version I assume you are talking about something running on 5.0+ or 809x something. I wanted to do that too but had to consider two things - 1. price, everything is ~60. 2. support. my understanding from @Party Monger and @vyral_143 's posts is, this thing has good support. I certainly don't want something latest but have to tear my hair if things go wrong.

just checked. had read this name in a reddit thread y'day. a user was lambasting it.

I had the MK809IV. Never again. What a load of crap that was. It was cheap, sure, but very unreliable. It was rockchip based and the wifi was utter shit. Absolutely unworkable.

a thread on freaktab tells that 809 may have little-to-no ROM support, and there's no apparent difference between it and 808:

http://freaktab.com/forum/tv-player...05-devices/510284-mk809iv-plus-vs-mk808b-plus

but found 809 for the same price as 808 on gearbest:

http://www.gearbest.com/tv-box-mini-pc/pp_197267.html

just checked. had read this name in a reddit thread y'day. a user was lambasting it.

a thread on freaktab tells that 809 may have little-to-no ROM support, and there's no apparent difference between it and 808:

http://freaktab.com/forum/tv-player...05-devices/510284-mk809iv-plus-vs-mk808b-plus

but found 809 for the same price as 808 on gearbest:

http://www.gearbest.com/tv-box-mini-pc/pp_197267.html
Hmm, thats interesting. I just made up the 809 name :D did not know if there was something like that. Casually flipping through the reviews I can see 808b plus first reviews ~ Jan 2015 compared to 809IV which shows somewhere in 2014. So my guess is 808b plus is a newer version.

That said, one thing is for sure - expecting sticks not to heat up is a foolhardy idea. It is such a small container without too much cooling.

If you really want to get into nitty gritty of it. Chinese manufactures, AFAIK, use Rockchip and AMLogic chips as they are cheaper for producing these sticks and boxes. The latest one from what I have read is Rockchip RK3368 which is a octa core announced in Jan 2015. And till date there is no stick version of it, only boxes, which cost over ~100 bucks. Amlogic on other hand doesn't have any octa core one.

As for 808B plus - it uses M805 which is a tablet based SoC. From the looks of it, 809 is the only "stick" form factor using S805, the "media player" SoC. You read about it how it doesn't seem to have support.

@sharktale1212 - have placed the order. but total came to $44.99 (~3k INR), including insurance, for the device + the same keyboard as yours. how come yours came to about 2300/-?! hope i didn't commit any mistake while placing the order (paid using my CC)! :confused:[DOUBLEPOST=1441914693][/DOUBLEPOST]okay so i see now you ordered the keyboard a while later. :D

I'm the unlucky one who paid customs of 500 :( any way you don't need a key board. Google remote works flawless. Just need a android device to get it done.

went ahead and bought a used raspberry pi 2 B model with case and 8 GB class 4 card for 2K. Never found wifi to be useful while streaming HD even on my desktop. Will stick to wired connection on raspberry pi

@sharktale1212 - have placed the order. but total came to $44.99 (~3k INR), including insurance, for the device + the same keyboard as yours. how come yours came to about 2300/-?! hope i didn't commit any mistake while placing the order (paid using my CC)! :confused:[DOUBLEPOST=1441914693][/DOUBLEPOST]okay so i see now you ordered the keyboard a while later. :D
Yep. Its better you were able to buy both of them together and get the free "tracking number" option. I ended up paying 2 bucks more due to the tracking and insurance to paid separately.
Now need to order a 32GB Micro sd to store content too.
[DOUBLEPOST=1441958198][/DOUBLEPOST]
did some research yesterday and ordered an ODROID XU4 with exynos big little soc. :)
That one looks good but I guess requires more technical know how. it would have been great if someone had created a tv box of this thing.

Last edited:
Yep. Its better you were able to buy both of them together and get the free "tracking number" option. I ended up paying 2 bucks more due to the tracking and insurance to paid separately.

check in amazon's lightning deals if there's one. i purchased one (16GB, for a different purpose) y'day for 299/- from it.

[DOUBLEPOST=1441958198][/DOUBLEPOST]
That one looks good but I guess requires more technical know how. it would have been great if someone had created a tv box of this thing.
Strontium on Amazon / Snapdeal goes to 500-600 for 32gb often. You dont need anyhting else.

Back