OC & Modding Cleaning and restoring a Coolermaster Stacker 830!

SunnyBoi

Branch Manager
Staff member
Patron
Big thanks to @Chaos for donating this beautiful case!

It was always my dream to get one of these beautiful Aluminium cases all along - CM Stacker, ATCS840, Wavemaster or any of the Lian Lis. As luck would go, I had to me content with my hacked up Zebronics during that time.

As time passed by, I started collecting some cases of the past - Antec TX1088AMG, Chieftec BH-02, Coolermaster CM690, NZXT Phantom and now the Coolermaster Stacker 830. Very proud of my collection and want to add more!

Coming back to the Stacker - Sometime in January, Chaos told me about his plan to replace the Stacker with a NZXT and he asked me to come and pickup the Stacker! I was so excited, I kept bugging him often about when I could come and pick it up

Finally the day was here - The Stacker has come to its new home!

RSvFfBf.jpg

Couple of days later, I opened the box to see what I got - The case was fairly dirty with a lot of dust inside and the exterior brushed aluminium looking dull and stained at few places. The front door was broken and wouldn't sit, turns out the hinges were broken.

lDivE4w.jpg

Right off to cleaning. I did a sample on how I want to approach cleaning the exterior - A non abrasive approach since I want to preserve all of the brushed finish as possible. I taped off a corner of the top panel and tried different methods till I found a combo that I was happy with, here;s the result.

JtmIuNX.jpg

Take a step back and you'll see how significant it is

4bKmwUy.jpg

The top is complete.

y55MN5u.jpg

Next, tackle the interiors. There is a mix of dust, sticker residue and oxidized Alu

Vyx2ixT.jpg

Taking out the motherboard tray and its rails, you see a bit of the original Alu finish. That is my target!

5wep4KG.jpg

Out comes the soap and paint brush, start the initial clean! I had to be careful not to foam/water the top since I could not manage to remove the buttons/USB hubs on top.

cg2no03.jpg

Another round of deep clean and I've come close to my previous set target. Yay!

qvUYDzs.jpg

Grill come off the front panel, both were cleaned separately and assembled back.

TDSAvZK.jpg

This is the exhaust fan from the motherboard tray. Oh man look at the dust buildup - Why is there a fan filter on an exhaust???

5XNirCu.jpg

First thing I do is rip off the filter. No wonder Chaos wouldn't have been happy with thermals in this case by now.

m9xdkcr.jpg

Mobo tray rails, Base assembled back into the chassis. Looks soo much cleaner now!

BUrKuWo.jpg

The front door hinges were broken and thankfully the broken pieces were stuck in the case. They were glued together with Araldite and they should hold up well.

uGZzu5a.jpg

Last of the dirty components - 4 in 3 drive cages. Just look at the filth, same amount of dirt came off each of the 2 cages.

CFyldIR.jpg

One of the cages came with a black fan, I replaced it with a Coolermaster Blue LED fan so both cages have a consistent colour. I will probably use the black fan for top exhaust

pUJak4d.jpg

Drive cages put back, drive bay covers were cleaned and assembled as well. I got 7 covers that leaves 2 holes - one will be taken up by a NZXT Fan controller and other with a DVD Writer.

xrNpxof.jpg

Door is on and it works!

All panels put on and only one word to describe it - Beautiful!!!

tiIVPFQ.jpg

wTlnQPz.jpg

Comparing to the Phantom - Its the same size but looks so much classier. At this point I realised that it would be an absolute CRIME to not use this case and so, the Stacker will replace Phantom to house my HTPC!

uHf5Quu.jpg

When it comes to modding cases like these, I am of the personal opinion that cases like these should be preserved. They do not make beautiful and elegant cases like these anymore, either they will have hideous meshes or swathes of glass with RGB fans and what not behind them. Cases like these take me back to the time of elegance and class and I will do my best to preserve such masterpieces!

Moving my HTPC inside the Stacker and trying to cable manage with a non modular PSU plus a case not designed for easy cable management will be tricky but I'm looking forward to the challenge. Stay tuned!

This case was being used for my file server. So thankfully thermals weren't a concern. However what was a concern was how dirty it had become over years due to so many years.

I was dumping all intel CPUs due to exploitable bugs. During that time when the new hardware arrived I decided to let go of this case. I was pretty certain that I am not going to charge anyone anything for it. I asked Sunny if he wanted it and he said yes.

Frankly I am happy it got a makeover and shall be serving him for years to come instead of going into the dumpster.

So I decided to swap the cases anyway!

Both cases lined up for the swap

lgOe0Qn.jpg

Fixing the motherboard was easy thanks to the pull out motherboard tray of the stacker.

pVt1nHh.jpg

But here lies what in my opinion would be the biggest problem - The PSU and all its wires.

Qb7wT1r.jpg

Putting it in the case and seeing the resultant wire mess was my worst dream

hWMRXPX.jpg

It took me a while but the drives are populated, unnecessary cables hidden away and a NMB 120x38mm fan cable tied to the top as an exhaust

OxkjBMg.jpg

Seeing all the wire mess, I decided to go against the NZXT Fan controller since it will bring in even more wires. Used a X-Fi front plate to cover the unused slot.

VQg15iG.jpg

Tray in place and everything connected. It is a bit messy but cannot be helped.

NHfTuEf.jpg

V8TK4Z0.jpg

Yyf5yON.jpg

Everything connected and it works! Yay!

Rk3Hcsc.jpg

The stacker looks sooo much better than the Phantom! Thanks again @Chaos!

Luck you! I usually take out all cables out from the chassis and then wash it. This whole thing is very satisfying. My PC washing is due too lol.

Kudos :)

Last edited:
Back