Clone only C: partition from one SSD to another

lazyman

Disciple
I know cloning whole drive is possible. Does anyone know of a software to clone only the operating system and important boot partition from one drive to another?

I'd go with Macrium or Clonezilla too but the thing is if C: is your OS partition cloning just that is not enough to make it bootable. You'd need to clone the drive as a whole to retain the other partitions as well that windows setup creates and MBR as well if that's your goal.

I'd go with Macrium or Clonezilla too but the thing is if C: is your OS partition cloning just that is not enough to make it bootable. You'd need to clone the drive as a whole to retain the other partitions as well that windows setup creates and MBR as well if that's your goal.
I have to transfer from old 1 TB Adata ssd to new Samsung 970 Evo plus 1 TB. There is just one 600 GB partition on old adata drive which I want to retain on the old drive. Rest all the partitions (including hidden boot ones) I would copy. Would resize partition sizes also. Seems doable from this video for Macrium:

You can use Minitool partition manager or Easeus partition manager to clone your just the C drive along with the boot files. I have done it.
After cloning I could straight awayboot from new drive.
You have to choose OS transfer option.

You can use Minitool partition manager or Easeus partition manager to clone your just the C drive along with the boot files. I have done it.
After cloning I could straight awayboot from new drive.
You have to choose OS transfer option.
I think i also used this

Upgrading pc. Old 1 had adata sx6000 1 TB ssd. For new build I will be using 970 Evo Plus 1TB. Would migrate only the os and 1 software partition to 970 evo plus. Rest other data (600gb) I would let it stay on previous ssd.

Upgrading pc. Old 1 had adata sx6000 1 TB ssd. For new build I will be using 970 Evo Plus 1TB. Would migrate only the os and 1 software partition to 970 evo plus. Rest other data (600gb) I would let it stay on previous ssd.
But if the new build has major hardware upgrades, transferring OS by means of cloning will most likely fail.

Avoid 100% Do a clean install.

But if the new build has major hardware upgrades, transferring OS by means of cloning will most likely fail.
Switching from Intel i7 9700k to i7 12700k, z390 to z690 and 16gb 3200mhz to 32gb 3600mhz. Would be the first major hardware change so have no experience with windows. I thought Windows would just ask for reactivation. Would have to keep a bootable usb ready now after reading this. Good thing I asked.
Avoid 100% Do a clean install.
Time to lose many days reinstalling and reconfiguring every software.

Last edited:
Switching from Intel i7 9700k to i7 12700k, z390 to z690 and 16gb 3200mhz to 32gb 3600mhz. Would be the first major hardware change so have no experience with windows. I thought Windows would just ask for reactivation. Would have to keep a bootable usb ready now after reading this. Good thing I asked.

Takes an hour for me. Cloning can create underlying issues in the long run. It may work, not that it won't :)

I'm planning for the same setup, coming from an i7 6700K. I currently have a 256GB PNY SSD that's used for boot.

Would like to know what is the procedure to:
1. Clone and change the boot drive to an m.2 nvme (since I still have my old PC, better to do it there?)
2. Ensure that windows recognised latest HW and has configured things accordingly when using the m.2 drive on my new setup

Thanks in advance.

I'm planning for the same setup, coming from an i7 6700K. I currently have a 256GB PNY SSD that's used for boot.

Would like to know what is the procedure to:
1. Clone and change the boot drive to an m.2 nvme (since I still have my old PC, better to do it there?)
2. Ensure that windows recognised latest HW and has configured things accordingly when using the m.2 drive on my new setup

Thanks in advance.
Do the hard thing: clean new install to avoid lingering issues in the future.

Do the hard thing: clean new install to avoid lingering issues in the future.
Will do that :) Just to double confirm,
1. I save the product key before taking apart the old setup
2. Then create a bootable drive and use it to boot on the new hardware and choose which disk I'd want to install windows on

If this is correct, can I still use the old setup as is? Or will windows get deactivated the moment I try to connect to the internet?
Thanks in advance.

Back