Cloud storage and syncing specific folders in PC with cloud, what are the options ?

raksrules

Elite
My dad works on Tally and some similar softwares and does his work mainly at home. He is using his laptop for all the work but is concerned about the data backup. He has had problems before where the machine would crash and data disappear and such cases. As of now to safeguard his data what i have done is that i have downloaded dropbox on his laptop and made a separate account for him. I have taught him how to copy his work folders in dropbox folder on a regular basis and let them sync (until tick mark comes). The amount of data he has is around 2 GB and in dropbox we have 2.5 GB space for him.
But the problem with dropbox is that it has a separate folder which is the only folder that can sync to the cloud. So i have to copy other work related folders to this dropbox folder to sync them (redundant data). This works for now which is fine.
But is there a way in dropbox that i can sync ANY folder on my laptop to dropbox ? Or is there any other service (preferably free) which allows to sync any folder on computer ?
Storing in pen drive and all is there but still we would want online service as well.

My dad works on Tally and some similar softwares and does his work mainly at home. He is using his laptop for all the work but is concerned about the data backup. He has had problems before where the machine would crash and data disappear and such cases. As of now to safeguard his data what i have done is that i have downloaded dropbox on his laptop and made a separate account for him. I have taught him how to copy his work folders in dropbox folder on a regular basis and let them sync (until tick mark comes). The amount of data he has is around 2 GB and in dropbox we have 2.5 GB space for him.
But the problem with dropbox is that it has a separate folder which is the only folder that can sync to the cloud. So i have to copy other work related folders to this dropbox folder to sync them (redundant data). This works for now which is fine.
But is there a way in dropbox that i can sync ANY folder on my laptop to dropbox ? Or is there any other service (preferably free) which allows to sync any folder on computer ?
Storing in pen drive and all is there but still we would want online service as well.

Although out of context you can try using mega upload website as they offer 50 gb free storage and as far as synching is concerned i am not sure but space is an advantage for sure since it comes handy.

Although out of context you can try using mega upload website as they offer 50 gb free storage and as far as synching is concerned i am not sure but space is an advantage for sure since it comes handy.

I am trying to avoid anything explicit that he has to do. Even now he has to explicitly copy the work folders to dropbox folder. Trying to even eliminate that aspect.

Sorry to bump this old thread, but I too have a similar question:

I have "sync me" app on my phone which syncs folders on phone with my laptop - this is allowing me to sync up pictures and music on both devices - what I am looking for right now is for something similar to sync between my google drive, box and skydrive account - basically, "one app syncs all".

I've heard about 'cloudHQ' but the basic plan for that is $100/year. Is there anything else which doesn't cost as much (or better yet, free)?

You could look into bitcasa. They have a free plan that provides 10GB of storage. And if I remember correctly, you can set up any folder on your pc to sync.

@^ I don't want to use yet another cloud - I want to use some script or something to just sync up all dropbox, box, GD, skydrive at specific time periods (or whatever) :p

I was searching around, and found a few IFTTT recipes which sync Dropbox to GD and GD to Skydrive ... will give it a shot.
@raksrules : I think IFTTT should work for you too. Give it a shot.

Last edited by a moderator:
Bumping an old thread.
I have gmail account, with google drive. My google drive has few files and now I've installed google drive on deskto ie google sync.
It has automatically created a directory in my C drive of my desktop and it has downloaded all the files, that I have on Gdrive, to this folder (C:\User\Ashish\googledrive

I installed Google drive desktop application just to see it as an additional partition in My Computer.
Instead this s/w downloads all the data I've uploaded in my C drive(partition).

eg if I upload a file of size 1GB from some other partition to my Google drive, (even by using chrome browser), the googlesync downloads it on my C partition.
This wastes my disk space, b/c now I have two copies of that file, in partion E (say) and in C:\user\Ashish\googledrive.

I want this file to be on cloud only, google drive. not on my PC. and see it in My Computer only when I'm online.

Old small utility "google drive " used to this, except it used to upload files as attachments in my inbox.

Back