Graphic Cards CM 460W and GTS 250

Other hardware components like mobo, processor, motherboard, add-on cards, rams, etc. consume power as well. Please make an effort to mention them for your own good.

Gowt1ham said:
1 issue tht is unforgivable with extreme series is they blow up easily.
At least good PSUs shut down due to overload.

When you say "blow up", do you mean literally? The PSU is labeled at 460W but I think it can put out a max of 400W. If it is loaded beyond 400W will it actually explode/cause fire?

karmyster said:
When you say "blow up", do you mean literally? The PSU is labeled at 460W but I think it can put out a max of 400W. If it is loaded beyond 400W will it actually explode/cause fire?

I can say from personal experience it will explode....It might output 400w max for 7-8seconds before blowing up.

If u want to blow up that PSU try switching the button at the back of the PSu and see wht happens! Mine blew spectacularly

Gowt1ham said:
If u want to blow up that PSU try switching the button at the back of the PSu and see wht happens! Mine blew spectacularly

You mean the voltage-selector? Lol any psu will blow up if you try that!

The psu can deliver max. 420W as per the Hardware-secret review. As per his configuration, I think the OP can try out his gts-250(rebadgered 9800gtx i think) on his epp460w but it'll be not safe on a long run

Striker10 said:
You mean the voltage-selector? Lol any psu will blow up if you try that!

The psu can deliver max. 420W as per the Hardware-secret review. As per his configuration, I think the OP can try out his gts-250(rebadgered 9800gtx i think) on his epp460w but it'll be not safe on a long run

Oh....I didnt knw tht........^
On my RP 460W I Switch either way it dosent blow up;)

Striker10 said:
Yours come with UVP(Under Voltage Protection) that's why ;)

Yup, I was trying to point out these .

OVP / UVP / OCP / OPP /OTP / SCP
Couldnt get a link fast. ANd I dunno wht everyrhing stands for except over voltage and under voltage protection.

I feel these are more important to a PSU than efficiency or anything else.

Gowt1ham said:
Yup, I was trying to point out these .

OVP / UVP / OCP / OPP /OTP / SCP

Couldnt get a link fast. ANd I dunno wht everyrhing stands for except over voltage and under voltage protection.

I feel these are more important to a PSU than efficiency or anything else.

And the CM ExtremePower Plus 460W does come with at least 4 of these(OVP/OCP/OPP/SCP).

wiki said:
Terminology

* SCP: Short circuit protection

* OPP: Overpower (overload) protection --> think this will power off the psu if the OP tries to run his gts250 and the psu is unable to supply enough power

* OCP: Overcurrent protection

* OTP: Overtemperature protection

* OVP: Overvoltage protection

* UVP: Undervoltage protection

Which makes it a decent psu with protection mechanisms and also with filtering mechanisms. Most of the generic ones lack the above that's why people stay away from them.

Do update what happens , if the psu is working properly or not . i had CM500w extreme power + and was using ATI 4870 with it for 2 months and the people in this forum really bashed me for it even though it was working . Now i have ATI 4770 but i have also overclocked my cpu .
One problem i have noticed with this PSU is that whenever there is voltage fluctuation or if voltage falls down to a considerable level the system used to restart other wise it is ok , i do not have this problem with the Tagan 500w PSU which i am using along with 4870 in my other system .

^^ So you were able to run your system with a 4870 that's nice!(apologies for their bashing; most of the opinions here on the EPP is that it's totally crap and worthless). Anyway, my take on power supplies is that it's overrated :D . Even when i see the Anandtech/other tech sites, maximum power consumption(Also see their base system; ) is only around 150-350W depending upon which single graphics card review you're looking at. But if you're gonna power up your system with a powerful cpu, couple or more of storage hard drives and a nice graphics card, a sound investment on a solid psu will help you in a long way.

Back