Computer chair suggestions needed

Hi
I am suffering from chronic backpain and after sitting in front of computer for more than one hour makes it worse . Currently i am using normal plastic chair (nilkamal type ) can some one suggest a good chair for computer usage , some pics of your chair will be helpful to get an idea .

Regards

I had bought this chair for 7.5k after discount about a year ago and while it's an average chair, probably not worth that much, the seat foam is terrible, barely enough padding for my under 60kgs, can't imagine how a heavier person would manage.

There's already a long thread on this topic:

I have an ergonomic chair from furniture shop worth 3k. But it gave away its life as its 5yrs old now. I would prefer next chair a gaming one. But in recent times and now esp. during lockdown the prices have soured by almost 40%.

Last edited:
The local shop 3-5k ones are utter crap. I had one and the base broke! A Nilkamal plastic stool is better. The one i now bought is much better but for the seat padding. Even then not worth more than 5k

Getting a good chair is an incredible game of luck, less effort...

Nope mine is good except hydraulics conked off it needs bit oiling or gas and cushion/seat went bit flat due to 5yrs of daily usage. the wheels even though they spin good individually they seems to get stuck or rubbed while moving chair. Apart from this its all good given the price and age.
This is somewhat what I have...
1595950143770.png

Gaming chairs are pure rip-offs and they look really silly especially the ones shaped like racing seats with the cut-outs for the racing harness.
It's better to get a executive high-back chair from chairwale.com, way more comfy and durable while not paying the 1337 g4m3r tax.

Gaming chairs are not comfy for long sessions, racing seats are designed to keep drivers in place while cornering at high speeds, not exactly the best shape for sitting comfortably.
I used to own one of those Green Soul chairs that have disappeared from everywhere for some reason and I'd say a regular ergonomic chair is way better, if you intend to buy one make sure you try it out first if possible.

In case if anyone is going for an executive chair, do keep in mind those bucket seat arrangement where the rear end bends down far more than the front part which strained my back and legs.
For those who are comfortable with such arrangements then you are good to go with those modern chairs.
I brought this new executive chair last year to replace my previous executive chair brought 13 years ago. It was good untill cushion gave up.
This new chair's backrest goes behind far more than wanted almost creating a 105 degree angle with the base. Had to get hold off two cushions(rear and bottom) to make it somewhat adjustable.
@Julian you can make a custom foam based pillow to adjust for the bottom part. I made one from shop and the butt sits flat unlike bucket seat.

Gaming chairs are not comfy for long sessions, racing seats are designed to keep drivers in place while cornering at high speeds, not exactly the best shape for sitting comfortably.
I used to own one of those Green Soul chairs that have disappeared from everywhere for some reason and I'd say a regular ergonomic chair is way better, if you intend to buy one make sure you try it out first if possible.

Can you recommend a reasonably priced ergonomic chair? i mean not 1 lakh etc. for those herman millers but up to 25k is not bad for a good chair. Not that i'm in any mood to change my almost brand new venturi, but this seat padding is ridiculous...
Post automatically merged:

In case if anyone is going for an executive chair, do keep in mind those bucket seat arrangement where the rear end bends down far more than the front part straining my back.
For those who are comfortable with such arrangements then ignore this post.
I brought this new executive chair last year to replace my previous executive chair brought 13 years ago. It was good untill cushion gave up.
This new chair's backrest goes behind far more than wanted almost creating a 110 degree angle. Had to get hold off two cushions(rear and bottom) to make it somewhat adjustable.
@Julian you can make a custom foam based pillow to adjust for the bottom part. I made one from shop and the butt sits flat unlike bucket seat.

Yeah, the so-called 'ergonomic' chairs are usually not so and have weird shapes which totally don't conform to any human body.

I think i'll remove the seat base and take it to a local furnishing store and ask them to add more padding to it. It's just 4 bolts or so, so should be simple enough. What i'm worried about is the mesh fabric. They will have to remove the existing staples and then re-staple it. Hope they don't tear or damage it or i'll have to get a new cover too.

I'm sitting on the damn thing now and the bolts from the bottom are digging into my butt!

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah, the so-called 'ergonomic' chairs are usually not so and have weird shapes which totally don't conform to any human body.

This.
The decent ones are hard to come by and the ones that are labelled so aren't exactly ergonomic like you said, the concept of lumbar support is alien to most chairs available IMO.
You need to walk into some place that has a huge selection on offer and sit and decide for yourself, It's one of those things like matresses that is better to purchase offline.

Godrej Interio has many ergonomic chairs. Our office recently acquired these for all employees. I am attaching the user manual for that. It is by no means a comfortable chair. According to the Godrej person who came to our office due to lots of complaints told us that it will take our body 2 to 3 weeks to adjust to the chair. The reason according to him is that our body got used to sitting comfortably at the cost of ergonomics. This chair forces us to sit ergonomically which causes discomfort initially until our body gets used it. He in fact showed us how we should use the arm rest on the chairs (height and forward/backward extensions) while sitting idle and while working on a laptop. By the time we could really test out the theory WFH started due to lock down.,

Attachments

• USER_MANUAL_MOTION (002).pdf
    499.8 KB · Views: 204
Nope mine is good except hydraulics conked off it needs bit oiling or gas and cushion/seat went bit flat due to 5yrs of daily usage. the wheels even though they spin good individually they seems to get stuck or rubbed while moving chair. Apart from this its all good given the price and age.
This is somewhat what I have...
View attachment 88007
The stitches for these chairs are not good. I already ruined my office chair within a few weeks. I like mesh but the stitches are terrible. And also don't buy according to the online reviews please. Many people I know buy them that way and many have complained later. Wear and tear is unpredictable.
Gaming chairs are pure rip-offs and they look really silly especially the ones shaped like racing seats with the cut-outs for the racing harness.
It's better to get a executive high-back chair from chairwale.com, way more comfy and durable while not paying the 1337 g4m3r tax.
I totally agree with this. I'm currently looking for used high-back office chairs which can be modified to add the features I need. For now I'm also using a plastic chair. I only wish it was heavier or more sturdy so I can lean or stretched myself without the running the risk of breaking it.
Also if you want office chairs try to look for used but older models. The quality of old models are so damn good.

The stitches for these chairs are not good. I already ruined my office chair within a few weeks. I like mesh but the stitches are terrible. And also don't buy according to the online reviews please. Many people I know buy them that way and many have complained later. Wear and tear is unpredictable.
I mentioned earlier I bought it personally from a nearby furniture shop. This isn't the exact chair but 70% similar styled. No stitches issues here. All is perfect except for those wheels which feels draggy while moving the chair around and the cushion lost its air.

Back