CPU/Mobo Computer doesn't turn on - causes mains to trip.

ashrr

Adept
Hey guys,

I've got a massive problem here. It started on Saturday when I tried to charge my new phone in the same spikebuster that I use for my computer. This was NOT connected to a UPS but gets power backup from my house's inverter (probably a big mistake, in hindsight.).

The computer had been running fine all this time, with absolutely no signs of a problem, but when I shoved in my phone's charger, the house's mains tripped and the inverter blew. We've called the inverter company to come and take a look at it, but in the meantime, we asked an electrician to restore power to the house so we could use things normally - i.e no backup during power cuts but everything else working as it should.

When he came over, we decided to take a look to narrow down the problem. Tried a new spikebuster, but the mains were still tripping. This was when the spikebuster was connected to a wall socket, and I inserted my computer, monitor, speakers, and phone charger plugs but only the individual switch to the phone charger plug was turned on.

We removed everything, turned the mains back on and inserted the peripherals one by one into the spikebuster, and things were fine. Phone charger, Speakers, Computer Monitor worked. When we plugged in the CPU, the mains went off again. We even tried another cable for the CPU, and the same thing happened.

Finally, we tried connecting the CPU directly to another wall socket and when we turned it on, we had sparks going off, and the mains tripped again. My electrician says its the computer that's at fault, but both of us don't know any more than this. My guess is that the PSU failed, but given the constant problems we've been having, I'm worried that some other component may have blown up as well.

I've disconnected everything for now, but I don't know what to do next. How do I find out where the exact problem is? Any suggestions? My PSU is a Corsair GS500.

Corsair GS500. Does this sound like a common symptom? As in, can I be sure that it's the PSU and try to get it replaced?

Try a different PSU and see if the problem persists....
Last time had the same issue, after lot of 'MAGAJMARI' found that PSU was the culprit.

You guys were right. Thanks for the help. It was the PSU.

It's a Corsair GS500. RMA should take about a week, but I've been reading bad things about the GS line. Maybe I should get rid of it and buy something else.

It's a Corsair GS500. RMA should take about a week, but I've been reading bad things about the GS line. Maybe I should get rid of it and buy something else.
Could you elaborate with details and links about the bad things you have been hearing ?

The same problem happened to me a year ago,well the connections in the PSU gets short-circuited and hence when connected to mains or spike or any supply source ,the power doesnt circulate in PSU and hence the PSU returns the whole power to the supply source and house mains gets tripped.

In cases like this, using a spike with a rated fuse protection will avoid tripping of house mains. and Corsair GS500 is a good PSU just get it replaced

I am using the GS600 since past two years and havent faced a single issue :touchwood;):.
I would also like to know where did you read bad things about the GS series...

Have a look at this

http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/cases/display/chieftec-coolermaster-corsair-zalman_13.html#sect0

It says "Corsair’s GS series have unique exterior design and highlighting (one color with the GS600 model and three colors with the GS700). They are comparable to the TX650 model in electrical parameters (they are all based on the same hardware platform, after all) but inferior to the latter in acoustic comfort at medium and high loads. We guess this makes them less preferable for users who value quiet computers."

Damn. Some new unfortunate updates on this front.

So the last time my GS500 blew, I sent it for RMA. They got back to me 2 weeks later with a GS 600 and asked me to pay 500 bucks extra since the old model was phased out. After a bit of argument, I just paid the money and brought the new PSU back with me since I didn't want to wait longer.

Anyway, the new PSU worked fine until the day before yesterday where everything just blew up again. I was playing a game on my computer when it suddenly just shut down, along with the house's mains. In fact, this time around, I had even connected my computer to an APC UPS and we also have an inverter for back up in the house. Now, I'm having the same problem - When I try to turn on the computer, the mains go off and the UPS lets out a long beep.

Any thoughts? I'm guessing this one blew up too. Wondering if I should just ditch this Corsair series and get something else.

The GS is not good, but its not this bad that it blows up in a few weeks. Unless you were unlucky and got 2 bad units in succession. What are your PC specs, and what are your case/ambient temps? Try re-assembling your rig so you can rule out any electrical shorts. In any case, ditch the GS. Upgrade to a HX if you have the budget.

BTW was it on inverter backup when it blew?

Let's take this one step at a time.

You have an inverter that the entire house's power is routed through? Including all your 'heavy' loads - AC/water heater/Microwave etc? Or are there separate lines feeding each circuit?

You have connected an APC UPS to the output of an inverter?

And then the output of the APC to your computer?

Here's how this works.

When mains power is on, there should be no problem because both inverter and UPS should connect directly to their respective inputs. So the house mains will be enabled in the inverter and the APC will connect to that. So far, no problem.

Now when the mains goes out or drops marginally the inverter will kick in first (that is the first point of contact for the mains). Remember computer PSUs are capable of severe line conditions and it may be self-immolating trying to keep up with the changes in the line condition. The APC takes a few milliseconds to react too, so basically you have three devices all trying to maintain steady state on a dropping line. This can easily put a surge through the next component.

Whenever you do change your supply, get the UPS to connect directly to the main circuit instead of the backup ring. I do hope you have wired them separately.

Next, never connect a UPS to a spike buster ever, unless it does not actually have a spike guarding varistor inside. Those are used to absorb energy surges, which can easily be generated by switching of large inductive loads like computer PSUs. I generally use good quality strips, but open them up and cut off the varistor to prevent UPS damage. There are also the distribution type which use a magnetic breaker (recognised by the reset switch) which are actually fine because they are disconnect devices, not shunt devices. I have a few of those as well and tend to use those with my PCs.

Good Luck.

Doesn't the inverter and ups both have overload circuit breaker?
My ups and inverter (both of apc) have this overload button that pops out. Wonder how is the house mains tripping first when there are two devices before it that can trip faster.

@Crazy Eddy, Here are my PC specs - i5 2500, 8GB RAM, ATI HD 6870, some Intel Motherboard, 1 TB hard disk and a 64 gb SSD. It wasn't exactly on inverter backup when it blew up but here in Chennai, we have scheduled power cuts every day. When this occurred, the power was scheduled to go out at my house, but hadn't. There could have been a dip in the voltage instead, but I'm not entirely sure.

@cranky - Our inverter powers our fans, a few lights, and some electrical outlets around the house. AC, microwave and water heaters don't work at all when the power goes out. Two TVs and my PC can be used together but only for a short time (assuming PC is plugged in directly to a wall socket), 1 TV and PC can be used comfortably along with fans and light for around 2 hours.

The wall socket I plugged my APC UPS into "works" when I plug something else into it when we don't have power. So this is probably coming from the inverter.

When my first PSU blew (GS500), I wasn't using a UPS. This time around, I was. The UPS is an APC Back UPS RS 1100 if that helps. I didn't connect it to a spike buster.

In any case, is it safe to assume that my second PSU also needs to be replaced? I'm considering buying a brand new one as I need my PC urgently for work, and RMA takes their own sweet time. Any suggestions?

Last edited by a moderator:
Connect only your PC cabinet (i.e. minus monitor, speakers, printer, etc.) to the mains or PC cabinet to UPS with the UPS disconnected from the mains, and see if its tripping. If it is, then the PSU is busted.

Your rig's peak power usage shouldn't be more than 400W. If you don't have any budget limits, get the Corsair HX 650 (unfortunately 650W is the lowest in the HX line). Should be about ~7.6k. If you're on a tight budget get the Seasonic S12II 520.

If your PSU is blown (and very likely it is), I wouldn't invest until the upstream problem is fixed, or you connect to an outlet that is not on the backup line. The UPS is perfectly suitable for your needs *if it is still working*. I've had tremendous problems with my RS1500, APC had to replace the unit 6 times in the warranty period and the last one they gave me seems to be working *with a few caveats* for the last two years, knock on wood. I would also like you to eliminate that as the source of the problem, so see if it powers up without load and then connect load one by one. If you have a laptop or temporary access to one, use the monitoring cable to connect it to the UPS and see what the load power is and when it is tripping. HWMonitor can read the status of APC UPS off that cable.

I don't know what your budget is, but the Seasonic X is a much, much better bet than any Corsair supply now. Frankly even a S12II is a more likely choice than a low-end Corsair, so I agree with Eddy.

I tried that. When I connect the PC cabinet to the mains and turn it on, it trips. When I connect it to a disconnected UPS, it just lets out a long beep. I guess it's busted then. It's just about a month old :(

The Seasonic S12II 520 is within my budget at around 4k. Is it better than my GS600 or would it be a downgrade? Also, is there something I should do to prevent this from happening again? The electrician opened up the wall sockets yesterday and said it was fine, but this is the 2nd PSU that's randomly blowing up.

edit: @cranky, I do have a laptop, but I'm unfamiliar with the term monitoring cable. Do you mean I should plug the laptop power cable into the UPS?

Last edited by a moderator:
Back