Computer stuttering while gaming

adikumar2010

Disciple
Whenever I play Apex Legends (it's the only game I play) it makes the whole PC stutter every 3-4 mins (for 2-3 secs everything freezes). Although stuttering also happens when I am not gaming and just browsing but it's 2-3 times per day. This issue only started last month. Also I got my GPU replaced last month, so it can't be GPU. I checked temperatures during gaming and it's all under 70 Celsius on GPU, CPU & Mobo. PC is little less then 2 years old but PSU is 12 years old.

CPU : AMD Ryzen 5 3600x
Motherboard : Asus TUF Gaming X570 Plus
RAM : 2 X 8GB A-Data XPG 3200Mhz CL16
SSD : Silicon Power 1TB NVMe M.2 Gen 3
GPU : Zotac GTX 1660 Twin Fan
PSU : Corsair 550W (Bought in 2009)

Where should I start ? Coz it could be motherboard or CPU or PSU or RAM or GPU, it's hard to figure out as I don't have 2nd desktop to switch parts & find the faulty hardware.
I think it's most likely PSU but I just don't want to buy new PSU for $100 then later realize it was something else which was faulty.

Whenever I play Apex Legends (it's the only game I play) it makes the whole PC stutter every 3-4 mins (for 2-3 secs everything freezes). Although stuttering also happens when I am not gaming and just browsing but it's 2-3 times per day. This issue only started last month. Also I got my GPU replaced last month, so it can't be GPU. I checked temperatures during gaming and it's all under 70 Celsius on GPU, CPU & Mobo. PC is little less then 2 years old but PSU is 12 years old.

CPU : AMD Ryzen 5 3600x
Motherboard : Asus TUF Gaming X570 Plus
RAM : 2 X 8GB A-Data XPG 3200Mhz CL16
SSD : Silicon Power 1TB NVMe M.2 Gen 3
GPU : Zotac GTX 1660 Twin Fan
PSU : Corsair 550W (Bought in 2009)

Where should I start ? Coz it could be motherboard or CPU or PSU or RAM or GPU, it's hard to figure out as I don't have 2nd desktop to switch parts & find the faulty hardware.
I think it's most likely PSU but I just don't want to buy new PSU for $100 then later realize it was something else which was faulty.
I suspect nvidia drivers issues here. Few chaps here incl me were having similar issues with Farcry few yrs ago and it turned out to be nvidia settings and drivers.
I played with various settings for a month or two and then listed the working settings.

Try by disabling Vsync off.

Also, you havent mentioned what monitor you using.

System stutter typically indicates high CPU usage. Use some monitoring software or task manager to check core utilization over time graph and see if some process is causing this. It can also be a malware. If possible, setup a second OS in a separate drive and see if the issue persists for a couple of days. Just use the secondary install for browsing, etc.

Yes, use HwInfo or other monitoring tool & check the voltages first to ensure your PSU (way old) & then go with temp. check!!! use afterburner or any overlay SW to check these, when u experience stutters.

There are too many factors contributing to stuttering such as insufficient psu power, gpu cpu bottleneck, hard drive failure, low rig config and high graphic settings, buggy gpu/chipset/sound drivers, internal port conflicts esp. sound/network/video, incorrect gpu driver settings, antivirus, background process, malware etc and etc etc...

PSU or temp issue.
PSU maybe, as temp is fine

I suspect nvidia drivers issues here. Few chaps here incl me were having similar issues with Farcry few yrs ago and it turned out to be nvidia settings and drivers.
I played with various settings for a month or two and then listed the working settings.

Try by disabling Vsync off.

Also, you havent mentioned what monitor you using.
LG 29UM69G
I am on older driver but same issue. Vsync is always off, I never use it.

System stutter typically indicates high CPU usage. Use some monitoring software or task manager to check core utilization over time graph and see if some process is causing this. It can also be a malware. If possible, setup a second OS in a separate drive and see if the issue persists for a couple of days. Just use the secondary install for browsing, etc.
I reinstalled windows but same issue. CPU don't go above 70%. Attaching graphs and logs please check. Frame time spikes up every now and then for no reason from 8-10ms to 70ms or something.

Yes, use HwInfo or other monitoring tool & check the voltages first to ensure your PSU (way old) & then go with temp. check!!! use afterburner or any overlay SW to check these, when u experience stutters.
Voltages are all good on all rails and temps too.

Remove the GPU drivers by using Display Driver Uninstaller and Do a fresh install after restarting. Then check if it still stutters.
Tried it and same issue still there.

Logs : https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1JOle3JYrQT7QnFACfr6UjDfz7v0Cm4_c

Last edited:
Looks like it's the game itself not your pc that has issues. Lots of people are reporting stuttering issues on high refresh rate monitors since the last update.
Maybe Respawn should fix their engine first instead of working on charms.
Do upgrade your PSU anyways.

Looks like it's the game itself not your pc that has issues. Lots of people are reporting stuttering issues on high refresh rate monitors since the last update.
Maybe Respawn should fix their engine first instead of working on charms.
Do upgrade your PSU anyways.

It happens in windows also, even when I am doing super light stuff like browsing where CPU usage is under 25% and GPU at 15%.

Is the attached log for Apex ? Are you sure your voltage rails are good; Also did u checked RAM test ?
Yes 10 mins of apex gameplay. Yes all voltages are normal. Also RAM passed memtest86.

One thing also I forgot to mention there was BSOD issue which fixed by itself maybe it is connected to this issue, you can check here :

Yes 10 mins of apex gameplay. Yes all voltages are normal. Also RAM passed memtest86.

One thing also I forgot to mention there was BSOD issue which fixed by itself maybe it is connected to this issue, you can check here :
Opps, just saw that hwinfo details & you have issue with your SMPS!! for sure 3.3 & 5, 12 may be marginal - check the ATX spec,

ATX_Tolerance.png

The SMPS component detoriate's over usage / period of time, you can very well change or use your friend PSU to verify.

Opps, just saw that hwinfo details & you have issue with your SMPS!! for sure 3.3 & 5, 12 may be marginal - check the ATX spec,

View attachment 109705

The SMPS component detoriate's over usage / period of time, you can very well change or use your friend PSU to verify.

updated logs today please check :

Here the screenshot of hwinfo after 1.5 hours of gaming (Right click and open it new tab to zoom in) :
HWinfo-Log.png

Last edited:
Back