Camera Confused between Canon EOS 550D and Nikon D5100... Please help..!

Only nikon fanboy will advice nikon!
<

canon lens is better and cheaper while the body is also better than nikon and sometimes on par with it.

^^ Spoken like a true Canon fanboy !
<

For your info I hate the ergonomics of Canon Rebel series cameras and I anyday prefer Nikon's grip and feel. And I am a Sony DSLR user so I am less biased than most users.

The Sony 16 MP sensor used in Nikon D5100 is better than the 18 MP sensor in the Canon 550/600D. Not by much but its outperforms it in dynamic range, colour depth and high ISO performance. The 550D beats the 16 MP sensor by offer 2 MP more ! Even the D3100 is better than the 550D in colour depth and high ISO performance. Similarly the D300s has better dynamic range and colour depth than the 7D and the D3s is better than the Canon 5D MK II. So the statement is more like every Nikon camera is better than every competing Canon camera.
<

@OP - As I suggested, try both cameras and choose the one you like. You won't find any difference in IQ. So get the camera that you are comfortable using.

Hello everyone,

Thank you for your reviews and suggestions. I bought the Canon EOS 550D with EF S18-135 IS... feels great to have it.. I am totally satisfied with the buy.. I have been click ever since it came in my hands and I should tell you that I am more than satisfied with the results (as per my knowledge). Would be buying a Hoya Circular Polarizer Filter or a UV Filter (which one is more preferable..?!) and a better bag though. Also someone advised me to buy a Transcend Class 10 SDHC 8GB card. I hope everything that i plan to do is advisable. Please do suggest..

Thank you..

A CPL and UV are two separate filters. A UV is more of a protection filter to prevent scratches on your lens. I don't use one but then again quite a few of my lenses have a few scratches (Scratches don't really affect photography but they do affect resale value).

A CPL is an altogether different filter and it is used on certain occassions like when you want a more saturated sky or you wish to cut down on non metallic reflections. I suggest you do a lot more reading before buying anything else.

Back