Budget 20-25K Confused between Moto Z2 Play and OnePlus 5 - Which one to buy?

Corleone

Adept
Hi Guys!

I am currently searching for a good handset and I am torn between Moto Z2 Play and OnePlus 5.

I am not able to take a decision as to which one I should get. I can afford both the phones.

I typically use my phone for the following:

1. Phone calls with call recording either in-built or Bold beast compatible
2. Emails - Office and Personal
3. Virtual meetings - Google Hangouts Meet and Skype for Business
4. VOIP calls - Skype and Google
5. Viewing MS Word/Excel/PowerPoint and PDF documents and occasional editing
6. Listening to Music and Audio Books
7. Taking personal photos and videos

The downsides I see in Z2 Play are:

1. Lenovo updates cycle is now unreliable with and unending wait period for new Android releases and bug fixes

The downsides I see in OnePlus 5 are:

1. No expandable storage
2. No water resistant coating
3. Jelly scrolling effect [I don't know how serious it is]
4. Corning Gorilla Glass 5 I hear is not that effective and is prone to scratches.
5. OnePlus is a new company and so don't know how durable the phones are

Yet, I seem to be tilted towards the OnePlus 5 :p

Any help from you guys n gals would be appreciated.

Having used both i would any day put my money on Oneplus 5 then Moto Z2 Play.

Edit- Wait for a week or so the 5T gonna launch on the 16th and will be available from Nov 21st on Amazon, Heard that will be priced same as Op5

Last edited:
Thanks guys for posting your views![DOUBLEPOST=1510232078][/DOUBLEPOST]
Having used both i would any day put my money on Oneplus 5 then Moto Z2 Play.

Edit- Wait for a week or so the 5T gonna launch on the 16th and will be available from Nov 21st on Amazon, Heard that will be priced same as Op5

Makes sense to wait for a few days if 5T is gonna be priced the same as 5.[DOUBLEPOST=1510232118][/DOUBLEPOST]
OP5 anyday. For call recording, use a third party app - you might need to buy it for automatic recording.

Somebody told me OP5 comes with inbuilt call recording? Is it not true?[DOUBLEPOST=1510232163][/DOUBLEPOST]
Any good recommendations?

Boldbeast paid version has it! Boldbeast works for me best ATM.[DOUBLEPOST=1510232261][/DOUBLEPOST]
The chipset on the Z2 play is no comparison to the OP5..
I would choose the OP5 anyday over the Z2 play

Okay! That's correct about the chipset! But, is the build quality good or comparable to to the Moto Z2 Play? I haven't actually seen this device in person.

They are not even in the same category. OP5 is flagship hardware and better then Moto Z2 Play in many ways and the price difference is obviously justified due to the better specs.

For me, the only gripe with OP5 was the small screen. I got a OP5 8GB version, but could not adjust to the 5.5" screen after having been using a Lenovo Vibe Z2 Pro with 6" screen for over 3 years. So I am using a Mi Max 2 now and gave the OP5 to my mom.

The battery life and charging time of OP5 are both the best in class among all flagship phones right now. Better Galaxy S8 series, Note 8, Mate 10, iPhone 8 and X.

Also, OP5 is water proof to some extent and could apparently qualify for IP67 certification. They didn't get it certified apparently to avoid increasing the costs and hence didn't advertise either which also means they won't take any responsibility if it does get damaged.

Here is a video of OP5 being submerged in soda water for 5 min.

They are not even in the same category. OP5 is flagship hardware and better then Moto Z2 Play in many ways and the price difference is obviously justified due to the better specs.

For me, the only gripe with OP5 was the small screen. I got a OP5 8GB version, but could not adjust to the 5.5" screen after having been using a Lenovo Vibe Z2 Pro with 6" screen for over 3 years. So I am using a Mi Max 2 now and gave the OP5 to my mom.

The battery life and charging time of OP5 are both the best in class among all flagship phones right now. Better Galaxy S8 series, Note 8, Mate 10, iPhone 8 and X.

Also, OP5 is water proof to some extent and could apparently qualify for IP67 certification. They didn't get it certified apparently to avoid increasing the costs and hence didn't advertise either which also means they won't take any responsibility if it does get damaged.

Here is a video of OP5 being submerged in soda water for 5 min.

That's reassuring :D !!! Now I am completely leaning towards OP5 or may be the OP5T which they say will launch at the existing price.[DOUBLEPOST=1510338472][/DOUBLEPOST]Do you guys feel that I should wait and see at what price point they launch OP5T or should I just grab the OP5 immediately?

Back