CPU/Mobo Confused to DEATH with SLI mobo!!

hello techenclave brothers i have two mother board to choose for my LGA 775 Q6600 . ASUS P5ND sli or EVGA 750i FTW sli !! which board is better which over clocks better ?? are both boards capable of running sli in 16x ?? comments ASAP .. need to buy board soon before stock runs:S out !!

Could you elaborate on your plans ? You obviously want to SLI. I am asking because I feel it is not worth buying LGA775 stuff now if you have to buy multiple parts. If you SLI 460 the q6600 will bottle it I feel.

Both the boards mentioned are capable sli in 16x.

gonna over clock it too bro !! are you sure its gonna bottle neck ?? i think Q6600 is still good enough for 2 years... mobo 8k + 2gig ram 2.3k (already have 2gig ) cpu cooler 2.7k(tuniq tower extream ) + 460gtx 1gig msi ( 13k) total = 26k ... If not i should shell out 70 to 90k for new system of I7 can but one more 460gtx after a year !

then the lga 775 is total outdated and the x58, p55 and am3 has better pci-express scaling performance ;)

so u should better update to i5 or i7 platform or x6 1060t platform depend on fix budget

so better sell the old q6600 pc and ddr2 ram left... :p and also make sure adjust proper balance rig :)

kaneunderground said:
hello techenclave brothers i have two mother board to choose for my LGA 775 Q6600 . ASUS P5ND sli or EVGA 750i FTW sli !! which board is better which over clocks better ?? are both boards capable of running sli in 16x ?? comments ASAP .. need to buy board soon before stock runs:S out !!
holy cow,you've already included brother & mother in your post.. why not complete the family by including father & sister... :rofl:

coming to your query - IMHO i will suggest you to go for eVGA 750i FTW SLI as few of the owners of this board claims this to be good..

as Zloyd said 2*GTX460 will bottleneck your CPU as it's a Q6600.

so,it would be better to either upgrade your whole setup to Core i5 atleast if going for intel or Phenom II X4 series if you prefer AMD over intel.. :)

or if you don't want to upgrade the setup then i think 2*GTX260 in SLI or a single GTX460 will do well for now..

What rez do you plan gaming at ? Can you give specs of everything you have atm.

Q6600 for 1 gtx 460 is ok if its overclocked , for 2 x gtx 460 you are gonna need a i5 . But if the rez isnt 1920 you should be good with 1 460. Dont buy another one.

Ok i understand some valid points here.. right now i have 19inch lcd max resolution is 1440*900 at 75hz.... So you guys mean i need not sli and be happy with single card ?? at that case buying sli board would be waste of money right ?? i

--- Updated Post - Automerged ---

My system :
Q6600 @ 2.4ghz
2gb ram @ 800mhz ( have two more slots)
250HDD WD
8600gt 256 MB
asus p5b vm mobo
View Sonic 19 Vm
Cooler master Extreme 500W
Zebby PEACE cabby
Sony 20x Writer keyboard mouse creative sbs 2.1 ( SYSTEM is 3 years old purchased on SEP 3rd 2007)

SLI for anything less then 1920X1080 is wasting the second card ... at lower resolutions the CPU gets hit more then the GPU, f you look at GTX 460 scalability chart .. it starts to bloom only at 1920X1080+ were it gives scalability of around 80%. I would also never use 2x GTX 460 with the cm extreme 500 watt. Suggest a decent 650 or 750 watts (80+ certified)to be safe ... peak system power usage would be around 450 to 500 watts for the gtx 460 in sli. The nForce 750i SLI Chipset limits the x16 slots to x8 in sli.... check this for reference ... if you want to run sli in x16 mode you need a x58 Chipset.

^^ I am not planning to run sli with my 500 W i am planning to buy sli mobo buy just 460gtx after a year upgade one more card with 24 or 27inch monitor with 750W psu !! I need to know which mobo is good enough & what exactly does bottleneck mean ??

Since you are investing so much in the GPU (GTX 460) i would seriously suggest changing your PSU...I have had horrible experience with extreme power and i guess same is the case with some other TE members too..you might be risking your new GPU..I don't wanna scare you , its just a suggestion :)

Ah for your resolution just one 460 will be great. Dont bother buying a board now for SLI later , you will get a single card later that will make more sense and when you get that card most likely you will update the whole system , this will be in all probability your last gpu upgrade on this platform.

The extra money you have for board and ram upgrade stash it away and start saving for a bigger monitor or whatever else you would like , I would also reccomend a psu change but that is entirely upto you.

Zloyd guess your right on this only thing i feel sorry is that i didnt over clock & never used my Q6600 to max potential :(

--- Updated Post - Automerged ---

or else shall i go for p45 c51 mobo which has ddr 3 support till 1600mhz & can over clock to 400fsb!! board cots just around 4.6 - 5k too.. Whats your opnion guys?

Back