Connecting a USB modem with a Wifi Router

Ankur.

Disciple
Hi fellas.. i m using presently using a RB-Comtec USB modem to connect to the internet.. I thought of setting up Wifi in my home and bought a DLink-Dir 600 router..
Now how do I connect the USB modem to the router to enable Wifi..

Thanks in advance!

P.S. I m using Airtel Broadband..

I think you misunderstood what i was asking.. I'l explain again..

I bought a new Dlink Dir 600 router.. i was previously using airtel RB Comtec USB modem to connect to the internet.. I removed the telephone cable from the USB modem and plugged it into the Internet point on the router, connected the ethernet cable to the PC Lan card with the slot in the router.. ran the configure your router thing.. the problem is that my internet is not working when plugged in the router..

Any ideas what to do? Thanks in advance.

Ah, sorry. My bad!

You've got the connections wrong. The telephone line still goes to your modem. Your modem should be connected to the router's internet port via an ethernet cable. The DIR 600 is a router, not a modem + router. You still need your existing modem along with the router. Hope this helps!

Ok, thanks for the reply.. can u guide me on how to set this thing up.. How do i connect my USB Modem to the router via an ethernet cable? Its all too confusing..

You'll need two ethernet cables. One will connect your modem to the router's internet port. The second ethernet cable will connect the PC to one of the four LAN ports on the router. That's it.

Hey, I returned the DLink DIR 600 router.. Now, i need a Modem + Router.. pls suggest which one to buy? Which has good reliability?

Many thanks.

Am using a D-Link 2640T. it was costly but worth it. am covering my duplex flat & parking with its wifi connectivity.
You can go for any latest Linksys or Cisco.
Whats ur budget?
Things to see on your router: 1) Atlest 4 Ethernet ports, 2) One Modem jack, 3) good range & warranty.

WAG54G2 => Wireless G

WAG320N => Wireless N

Avoid the WAG160N. I was using it for a while. In the beginning it used to work fine, but eventually started with loads of wireless connection dropping and then eventually the wireless portion just died! Using a WAG320N now and it's great. Far more stable than the WAG160N any day. And the range is phenomenal! It reaches places where the WAG160N couldn't even dream of reaching!!!

Edrill does your WAG320N drop connections while trying to use it 24x7 continously?

Does it require to be restarted (Hard Booted - Switch OFF -> ON) quite often to resume operation?

@djarunin: Nope. Don't have any such issues. The having to reboot regularly was something I experienced with the WAG160N, but never with the 320. Not on the older firmware, and not on the new firmware that's up on the website either.

Back