Consoles in Void

LaatSahab

Skilled
Hi
My last console was PS2. Switched to PC after that. From the time of Assassins Creed, games started requiring a "constant internet connection" . Today an entire console is being made and marketed on the principle of digital distribution of media and pervasive and persistent connectivity to Internet. My question is, How would a modern day console work, if at all, in an air gapped environment, i.e. without any sort of Internet or network connectivity? I know for firmware and game updates, a routine connection to the Internet would be required but for casual day to day gaming, how much important is Internet for modern day consoles.

The idea of "always online" itself took a major hit with the X1 launch, it's not necessary unless you play one of those GaaS titles.

GaaS ???
I have an offer for a pre-owned Series S, but I cannot take it up unless I'm 100% sure that it would work in my village, where there's no wired Internet connection. The maximum I can get in the name of connectivity is cellular data, whose coverage is scanty at best. For updates and game installs, I can routinely access Airtel Fibre Internet in my home in the city. Want to know that if for playing games, would it be necessary for the device to login into the Windows/XBOX ID every time ? Even the games I want to play are mostly single-player ones, with focus on gameplay and storyline such as Assassin's Creed series, Ghost Recon series and Forza games.

GaaS ???
I have an offer for a pre-owned Series S, but I cannot take it up unless I'm 100% sure that it would work in my village, where there's no wired Internet connection. The maximum I can get in the name of connectivity is cellular data, whose coverage is scanty at best. For updates and game installs, I can routinely access Airtel Fibre Internet in my home in the city. Want to know that if for playing games, would it be necessary for the device to login into the Windows/XBOX ID every time ? Even the games I want to play are mostly single-player ones, with focus on gameplay and storyline such as Assassin's Creed series, Ghost Recon series and Forza games.

Games as a service, titles like Destiny, The Division, etc that require online connectivity at all times and are loaded with season passes & micro-transactions.
Series S is a no go without an internet connection but you can still play games offline, the thing lacks a drive and is digital only. You can download the games in the city, run it for the first time to verify your ownership of those copies and then take it to the village to play it offline.

Games as a service, titles like Destiny, The Division, etc that require online connectivity at all times and are loaded with season passes & micro-transactions.
Series S is a no go without an internet connection but you can still play games offline, the thing lacks a drive and is digital only. You can download the games in the city, run it for the first time to verify your ownership of those copies and then take it to the village to play it offline.
Damn! Really wanted to play Division 1 and 2. Initial loading in City and playback at village is what I intend to do. If Series S can function that way, then it all just might work.

So I've been trying to make my Xbox my "Home Xbox" but it's getting nowhere. I googled for it and people have run into the same issue as me. On Microsoft's support page, a guy suggested changing one's name in Microsoft account, which did the trick for them but not for me. Other than that, the "official suggestion" were matters like hard reset and such. So how do I go about doing it because if I cannot get it to play games offline, it's pretty much useless for me.
Edit- It was Pihole issue. Made an AP from.my phone, connected Xbox through it and tried. Worked out fine this way.

Last edited:
Back