Continue with CDMA or port to GSM - Plz suggest mobiles for each

boogeyman

Adept
Hi Guys,

A family member of mine has been using Reliance CDMA since quite a long while. Now his handset is on the verge of dying. I had a look at the different options for CDMA handsets and the choice is really limited. Not looking for anything fancy. Budget is Rs. 2-3k. Can be extended to 3.5k max. Nokia/Samsung feature phone will also do. No micromax/karbonn please. Speaking of Nokia, have they completely stopped manufacturing CDMA handsets?

On the other hand, I was thinking of porting the number to GSM and then taking advantage of the wide range of handsets there. How does this option sound? In this case please suggest a cheap prepaid provider too along with the handset. Usage is about 15-20 mins of outgoing calls per day and 20-30 SMS per month.

Thanks in advance

The best plan you can get is from Vodafone.. I have been using the plan since one year.. Port to Vodafone with 43 Rs for 3 months plan.. This is available only if you port from other carrier.. Plan is you recharge for 43 Rs and get 3 months validity.. (Have to recharge again for 43 after 3 months to continue the plan, don't forget).. All local calls including landline: 1 paisa per 2 second (30 paisa per minute).. All STD calls including landline: 2 paisa per 3 second (40 paisa per minute).. Daily 100 SMS free ( No extra charge).. No rental no other cost.. Works like a charm.. Main thing is per 2 second pulse.. If you call somebody and talk for just 10 second, only 5 Paisa gets cut, whereas in normal plans you lose whole 40/50 paisa.. Hold on for a while before buying X1-01.. My friends have it and have some problems with it.. Will ask them in detail and post..

I'll be using it in single SIM mode only, so hopefully it should be problem free.

But yeah, I don't have to buy it urgently, so I'll wait till you post about the x1-01 problems. I'm waiting for the CDMA balance to finish, so that I can apply for portability. Will be getting the new phone after that only.

rtkomar Thanks for the info on the vodafone plan, am thinking of porting out. Is it available in Mumbai?
I am from Karnataka.. Don't know if it is there in Mumbai.. I guess it should be there all over India.. Just call their customer care and confirm.. And well, don't forget to finish balance from your current account.. It wont pass on to other carriers if you port..

---------- Post added at 01:25 AM ---------- Previous post was at 01:20 AM ----------

I'll wait till you post about the x1-01 problems.
My friend says that phone hangs a bit.. But the main problem he is facing is cell loses all the signal for no reason.. Even in places with full network, signal from both the networks (He has one BSNL and one Vodafone) suddenly drop to zero and will have to wait for 2-3 minutes or so or have to restart the phone to get back the signal.. I think it is better to buy 100 or 101.. I am even considering Nokia 1280.. :yes:
Not sure about Samsung phones..

I am from Karnataka.. Don't know if it is there in Mumbai.. I guess it should be there all over India.. Just call their customer care and confirm.. And well, don't forget to finish balance from your current account.. It wont pass on to other carriers if you port..

It infact has zero balance as of now, shall do a recharge of 10 bucks so that I can send the porting SMS etc :p

It infact has zero balance as of now, shall do a recharge of 10 bucks so that I can send the porting SMS etc :p
Ha ha.. :lol: Then do recharge for 10 Rs and port.. But confirm from Vodafone customer care once, if the plan is available in Mumbai.. You will have to go to the nearest Vodafone store with the porting code you get through SMS, fill some form, give your photographs and get a new Vodafone SIM with same number.. It will take around a week for the formalities to be completed.. Till then you will be on your current carrier..

Ha ha.. :lol: Then do recharge for 10 Rs and port.. But confirm from Vodafone customer care once, if the plan is available in Mumbai.. You will have to go to the nearest Vodafone store with the porting code you get through SMS, fill some form, give your photographs and get a new Vodafone SIM with same number.. It will take around a week for the formalities to be completed.. Till then you will be on your current carrier..

I got a better offer from Docomo itself, so planning to stay back. Lets see.

BTW, spoke to Vodafone, the 43 plan is there for 3 months, with no way to extend it in anyways.

I got a better offer from Docomo itself, so planning to stay back. Lets see.

BTW, spoke to Vodafone, the 43 plan is there for 3 months, with no way to extend it in anyways.

Oh, that is cool..
I didn't get you, no way to extend it means? Is it valid only for 3 months? I have been extending it since one year by recharging for 43 once in every 3 months..

Oh, that is cool..
I didn't get you, no way to extend it means? Is it valid only for 3 months? I have been extending it since one year by recharging for 43 once in every 3 months..

Yes, thats what they said. They said that the plan is one time only ~ 3 months. After 3 months i would need to do separate recharges.

Back