Continuously rising medicines cost-- Why ?

My 2 cents based on what I have seen with my dad being a doctor..

Margins are quite high 40-50% for shops as someone mentioned with informal tie-ups between doctors and pharma companies/hospital pharmacies for prescribing their brands. So for specific cases you can even have higher margins I.e. if you are able to sell/ prescribe x% every month.

Not all generic medicines are equal .. I.e. no QC , cost cutting so active ingredient might not be in the amount described and hence might not have the intended effect. Please be careful when using generics.

All prices have gone up and China lockdowns definitely have an impact due to ..the CPI index seems to have health component .

No useful tips or advice that people have not provided already

A question for people with understanding of pharma industry: why do some pharma companies manufacturer same medicine with multiple names and price points?

example: Atenolol (50mg) is manufactured by Torrent Pharmaceuticals under two names

Betacard - ₹27.85
Atmost - ₹33.65

seems to create unnecessary confusion!
Its as good strategy as followed by many amazon/fk sellers by selling same product by various sellers at differential rates. Its like hitting jackpot.

Last edited:
could you share a picture of the branding and packaging?
Here
20220515_212635.jpg

A question for people with understanding of pharma industry: why do some pharma companies manufacturer same medicine with multiple names and price points?

example: Atenolol (50mg) is manufactured by Torrent Pharmaceuticals under two names

Betacard - ₹27.85
Atmost - ₹33.65

seems to create unnecessary confusion!
Same chemical tablets can have different base. Usually it's titanium dioxide. Then there's difference of short release and long release. Long release tablets remain active for long time in the digestion. Tablets could have different coating, that can make them long release or make them digestible only lower parts of digestive tracts.

Same chemical tablets can have different base. Usually it's titanium dioxide. Then there's difference of short release and long release. Long release tablets remain active for long time in the digestion. Tablets could have different coating, that can make them long release or make them digestible only lower parts of digestive tracts.
Most companies just release different brands. If they have a popular brand, they increase prices like crazy. Then launch a lower/same priced variant as old one for price sensitive clients. I found this myself for a few meds. There was ZERO difference in ingredients.

Then there's difference of short release and long release
I worked in the Pharma industry for a while, where I needed to learn about laws & regulations that govern the industry. In major markets like the US (FDA) and EU (EMA) allow drug companies to advertise drugs as quick release, or slow release without any additional testing, or explanation. So trusting this aspect of drugs is risky.

These are cholesterol tablets right? How are these so cheap? I am buying crestor 40 mg for a family member which are 620MRp. 20mg is 420mrp. If the medicine is the same, can they be substituted with these cheaper brands?
Well there are huge numbers of medicines with same ingredients but fraction of a cost.

So called difference is pharma ( the well known liscense holders of the salt
and
generic which are made by other companies big or small that have the permission to use same salt but can't brand it.

Technically they are same as long as good manufacturing practices are followed.

You may buy the ones sold under pradhanmantri jan aushadhi scheme from. Govt designated shops, do get the bill.

As far as my experience goes and a host of others i know, they work well..

Still you can get your profiles done before and 3 months after to get a good idea.

Last edited:
Well there are huge numbers of medicines with same ingredients but fraction of a cost.

So called difference is pharma ( the well known liscense holders of the salt
and
generic which are made by other companies big or small that have the permission to use same salt but can't brand it.

Technically they are same as long as good manufacturing practices are followed.

You may buy the ones sold under pradhanmantri jan aushadhi scheme from. Govt designated shops, do get the bill.

As far as my experience goes and a host of others i know, they work well..

Still you can get your profiles done before and 3 months after to get a good idea.
I don't approve with regarding to generic medicines because why do we our lives or our loved ones lives at stake without going with prominent companies . This is my contention.

I don't approve with regarding to generic medicines because why do we our lives or our loved ones lives at stake without going with prominent companies . This is my contention.
There are cheaper options available from 'Brand names' as well. I more than halved my mother's diabetes bill by moving to alternatives. Could've gone for much cheaper options as well, but went with the doctor suggested alternatives.

Well, I don't have anything against you believing that,
But tbh with you, this is exactly the sort of mindset being pushed towards general public so that over priced medicines in the name of pharma variants can be sold to fill the coffers of these big companies.

I shared what I observed and what I experienced. But if staying away from generic and opting for pharma items gives you peace of mind then it's priceless really. [emoji106]

As rdst_1 suggested, generic level cheap medications available from reputed multinational pharma too. You have to dig about them but yeah, they are available.

After reading the book 'bottle of lies' my perception towards generics has changed completely.

Using Generic Medicines since 2012 and till that found it as good as Brand Medicine

from Bhartiya JanAushdhi Pariyojna (Government Of India Initiative).... I bought following Medicines in last 30 days

(Brand MRP Price) [ MRP at Jan Aushdhi - Generic Brand ] { I Paid }
Rs.225/- Rs.160/- (Rs.25/-)
Rs.130/- Rs.85/- (Rs.25/-)
Rs.115/- Rs.95/- (Rs.30/-)
Rs.96/- Rs.35/- (Rs.20/-)

Locate Shop in Your State/District/City Click Here

Search Medicine here

Last edited:
Back